Can you guess what happens next? (wrong answers preferred)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Careless Raspberry, who has been on a purposeful but meandering hopping quest to find a home which ticks the right boxes, and isn't next door to Herbert Thepervert (not a real name).
She sometimes forgets to update her home position.
In most cases this isn't an issue, until....
One day, the hippy hoppy Raspberry is sent home, and the home has been taken over, by a person who has either not read, understood, or cared about the Bellisseria covenant (also known as 'do not delete on pain of death').
The new resident has set his security orb to 'send home in one second'.
...but according to the home position, Raspberry already IS home.

What happens next?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

I had this happen not so long ago. 

You watch in horror as the screen alternates between a teleport screen and a few frames of your old home with the you aren't wanted here, ejected message. After it loops a few times and the woooshing noise has begun to irritate you close the viewer and go have a nice cup of tea whilst you ponder the enormity of the situation and potential eternal repeating loop you have inflicted on yourself.

At some point later you will remember that you have the option to pick a destination at login screen or use marketplace to login at a safe store.

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised and wouldn't judge if that didn't occur to someone.

So they logged on an alt and called out in Bellisseria Group chat for any Linden or Mole online that could help them set the orb timer to 15 seconds to give them a chance to navigate out the home.

It would be just my luck too if the landing point was set in the persons bedroom on the top floor so in the 15 seconds then available you would be jumping furniture and pets, trying to open doors (without them pushing you into the wall), running down the spiral staircase get out the front door and navigate the formal garden in the 15 seconds now available. A sort of Donkey Kong mini game.

If I was a Mole or Linden and I saw the request, I think I would play along with the request too, just to enjoy the spectacle. 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

A few things...

1. Herbert Thepervert reminds me of Mr. FitzPervert from Bridget Jones (personal fave)

2. Since you are not allowed to "set home" to a parcel unless you have that perm, if you do succeed at setting home, should it not become invalidated and not work if you subsequently lose that perm? Is this a bug?

3. As to the reprobate (my fave word since watching The Holdovers), can you not log into to some other region and wander over to the site of your former home (staying outside of parcel boundaries) and AR the reprobate for being a reprobate (aka a violator of our cherished covenant)?

Edited by diamond Marchant

The tiny concession of the one second warning allowed me to commando roll over the boundary and escape, on the eleventh attempt. I suspect the device was hidden in a welcome mat, but I could be feverish at this point after the trauma.
Afterwards I wondered if I could have tp'd out using the mini map.
Herbert Thepervert has many manifestations. The most memorable lately has been the 'art' loving neighbour, who completely filled the walls of his home with photographs of lady bottoms, posed in uncomfortable positions and set to *full bright*, and then obviously ran out of prim allowance when it came to curtains.

• Haha 3

Using the mini map to TP absolutely would have worked, and is my go to panic reaction when I inadvertently teleport somewhere unintended. 

If you cannot spot the pervert in your neighborhood, does that mean you are the pervert?  I do live near Herbert the Sherbet, who has adopted an ice cream themed decor.  I gain 10 pounds every time I glance in that direction. 

Every time you set home somewhere, log in an alt with the most hideous and offensive avatar you can manage and set their home there as well.  Should you ever find yourself in the same situation, log on the alt and go run some errands or watch a movie.    

• Haha 1

or you can go grab a coffee (preferably a mocha latte) and sit back and enjoy the animations.. .maybe try counting how many times you are bounced before you finally get tired of it (or finish the coffee) and TP out to one of the locations on your favorites bar.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Matthieu Quander said:

Using the mini map to TP absolutely would have worked, and is my go to panic reaction when I inadvertently teleport somewhere unintended. 

If you cannot spot the pervert in your neighborhood, does that mean you are the pervert?  I do live near Herbert the Sherbet, who has adopted an ice cream themed decor.  I gain 10 pounds every time I glance in that direction. 

Every time you set home somewhere, log in an alt with the most hideous and offensive avatar you can manage and set their home there as well.  Should you ever find yourself in the same situation, log on the alt and go run some errands or watch a movie.    

That is a genius suggestion @Matthieu Quander! Maybe this is the way to discourage those orbs, subject the perpetrator to the double tp twang of doom, and the oscillating neon gnome avatar sat in his aquarium.

6 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Herbert Thepervert has many manifestations. The most memorable lately has been the 'art' loving neighbour, who completely filled the walls of his home with photographs of lady bottoms, posed in uncomfortable positions and set to *full bright*, and then obviously ran out of prim allowance when it came to curtains.

Oooooh, I may have encountered *that* one in Newbrooke…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 9:57 AM, Raspberry Crystal said:

Careless Raspberry, who has been on a purposeful but meandering hopping quest to find a home which ticks the right boxes, and isn't next door to Herbert Thepervert (not a real name).
She sometimes forgets to update her home position.
In most cases this isn't an issue, until....
One day, the hippy hoppy Raspberry is sent home, and the home has been taken over, by a person who has either not read, understood, or cared about the Bellisseria covenant (also known as 'do not delete on pain of death').
The new resident has set his security orb to 'send home in one second'.
...but according to the home position, Raspberry already IS home.

What happens next?

I *think* what happens is what happens when you return from the parcel a non-transferable TV that has been deeded to the group by accident -- it doesn't know what to do with collectivized property that doesn't show a sole owner's name, so it simply deletes the TV forever.

I think you might need a Linden to rescue you from that state if you are a real person because it's like ghosting on a sim. PS turn the sound off on your computer due to the reverberation bangs.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I *think* what happens is what happens when you return from the parcel a non-transferable TV that has been deeded to the group by accident -- it doesn't know what to do with collectivized property that doesn't show a sole owner's name, so it simply deletes the TV forever.

I think you might need a Linden to rescue you from that state if you are a real person because it's like ghosting on a sim. PS turn the sound off on your computer due to the reverberation bangs.

Perhaps the sound should be changed to the endless screams of the infinite well at the Fantasseria community region?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Herbert Thepervert...I love it. But I'm just thinking about how many times I've landed in a new home and there's been Herbert next door, but there's also been nearby Vert, and Gert, and Cert, and LiliBert and and so on. Like the whole extended family moved in and took over the neighborhood with their Thepervert activities.  This is where Firestorm's Derender and Blacklist comes in handy, since a lot of their belongings are also heavily scripted.

And if you were in the position of being ousted from a parcel that your home position was previously set to...couldn't you log out (or force quit) and then log in elsewhere? I think you can get your correct home parcel information from logging onto the SL website and looking in your user dashboard.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Trinity Blakewell said:

Herbert Thepervert...I love it. But I'm just thinking about how many times I've landed in a new home and there's been Herbert next door, but there's also been nearby Vert, and Gert, and Cert, and LiliBert and and so on. Like the whole extended family moved in and took over the neighborhood with their Thepervert activities.  This is where Firestorm's Derender and Blacklist comes in handy, since a lot of their belongings are also heavily scripted.

And if you were in the position of being ousted from a parcel that your home position was previously set to...couldn't you log out (or force quit) and then log in elsewhere? I think you can get your correct home parcel information from logging onto the SL website and looking in your user dashboard.

I find it very handy that landmarks in my favourites bar* are available to me as log in tps. I keep at least one hand rez spot in there for emergency retreats!  (*in firestorm)
There are ways of getting out of the situation, but for a time, my brain turned to mush :)

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 97 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.