What is the split of SL users between RL Nations?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

55 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

RL polls show that most people want to live in the country, with the suburbs a close second, and a minority prefer cites.

That depends on where you conduct your poll, and what the definition of "In the country" is.

Here, few people would actually want to move TO some isolated house in the country, when they say "live in the country", they are talking about living in a village, nothing like the Murican Suburban Wastelands.

Are you trying to tell me, with a graduate level A grade in statistics has no idea how to interpret statistical data correctly?  Don't.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Are you trying to tell me, with a graduate level A grade in statistics has no idea how to interpret statistical data correctly?  Don't.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.
;)

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

There are lies, big lies and statistics.
;)

That's why you need to find many sources for your statistics, and if they all agree it's usually best to go with that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I think that site's wrong...I've just made up my own statistics, based on my personal experience. @JordonBanks use this instead :)

Netherlands = 15%

USA = 25%

Brazil = 20%

UK = 20%

Germany = 10%

Japan = 5%

Canada= 4%

Australia = 2%

North Korea = 0.00001% 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

What I like about Bellisseria is that it gives a space around the homes for some nature. People are fiddling around with their gardens and learning more about plants, developing an appreciation.  When I go to the mainland it's usually prims on top of prims in ugly configuration, except for that Dutch guy who made a beautiful garden on the mainland, and a few others I've seen.

We need to focus on nature in all worlds, to develop a love for it, and what we focus on in SL can translate to RL.  What you love, you protect. We're in grave danger. This thread spawned a little poem for me today, not yet polished:

THE YELLOW WALLPAPER AND NATURE

the walls began to talk
she'd been stuck in that room so long
walled off from the beauty of the world

prison walls compress
threatening to consume
even her gardens were contained in bell jars
conquered

beauty in concrete walls and papered boards?
labeling what is inside as out,
we gave you the name "nature"
"hottest summer ever", they said on the news today
the walls close in

Edited by Luna Bliss

7 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I think that site's wrong...I've just made up my own statistics, based on my personal experience. @JordonBanks use this instead :)

Netherlands = 15%

USA = 25%

Brazil = 20%

UK = 20%

Germany = 10%

Japan = 5%

Canada= 4%

Australia = 2%

North Korea = 0.00001% 

The Netherlands is 99%.
There is you, me and Ceka, all the others are my alts.

Why do you think so many people just stand around in their homes or on their platforms?
It is hard to handle them all at the same time.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

First it was whining

Really, Luna?

"Whining?"

And yes, I think that it would be nice if there were a more urban model of LH available -- there are a great many people, not just me and 20 others, who choose to live in urban settings. I know it's doable because it is being done, on private regions and the mainland right now. It's not of course for everyone.

And California Mediterranean can be quite lovely, I'm sure. But it bears the same relationship to real Mediterranean that Taco Bell has to actual Mexican food. It's an Americanized interpretation that incorporates particular elements American buyers value.

I refuse, despite the baiting, to get into a fight with you about the relative merits of American residential home designs. They are indeed diverse, and some are quite lovely. I am casting no aspersions upon them, or upon those who like them. Find someone else who cares to argue with about that: I don't.

I am advocating for diversity and variety. And SoCal models that selectively incorporate decorative elements from other cultures into their design, however beautifully, are still SoCal models.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I enjoy Bellisseria, it is a great place for a free home, the moles have done a great job of landscaping, and there are a lot of cool spots they have created that you can run into at times.  With that said though, and for comedic value..

Snapshot_630.thumb.jpg.505f34b1f14bf04ca5861d45f80bc833.jpg

giphy.gif

It does lack the grit and grime that I like in virtual worlds, it is almost too perfect! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I am advocating for diversity and variety. And SoCal models that selectively incorporate decorative elements from other cultures into their design, however beautifully, are still SoCal models.

You just don't get it -- they are not incorporating various elements from other countries. Most of the homes mainly consist of one of many styles -- Italian, Mexican, Spanish.  Even in these other countries they often mix styles.

You are hellbent on criticizing America and LL.

Edited by Luna Bliss

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Really, Luna?

"Whining?"

And yes, I think that it would be nice if there were a more urban model of LH available -- there are a great many people, not just me and 20 others, who choose to live in urban settings. I know it's doable because it is being done, on private regions and the mainland right now. It's not of course for everyone.

Yes I think it is whining when you expect a company to cater to your needs and lose money.  I'd bet my life there would not be enough people wanting such an environment.

There are many complications you can't see -- an urban setting on a private sim is different from how Belli needs to operate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Interestingly,  RL polls show that most people want to live in the country, with the suburbs a close second, and a minority prefer cites.

I think SL mirrors RL in many ways in terms of preferences.

LL is on the right track with Bellisseria.

My take on this  would be..

I think a lot of people want things they don't have at the time.. A lot that want to live in the country probably don't really realize what it takes to actually live in the country.. hehehe

I can picture some seeing it in the movies or visiting in on short trips and getting a taste of it in some way..

But let that first mountain lion or bear or rattler sighting happen  in their front yard, or simpler things like run out of butter or milk you're out picking berries and start getting stung and a few miles from the house..

That whole snow white vision of the country starts to dwindle some.. hehehe

Night time pitch black hearing SquEEEeeeeee!!!! really loud out of the night time silence will tighten up a city persons butt star real quick..  hehehehe

Myself, I used to live in the city, now if I even start to get close to being in that kind of traffic, my anxiety starts heading to the roof..

Nashville isn't even that big of a city and pretty opened up and not so cramped of one.. But soon as I get in there, I'm dying to get back out.. hehehehe

I had a friend that kept trying to talk people that I knew from up north to moving down here.. He just kept trying to show them the great side of being down here..

He would get on me for showing them the other side.. I'm like, you can't do that to people or they'll blame you for every wrong thing that happens to them when they get here.. Don't mess with people like a used car salesmen because you want to sell some land.. you have to show them some downsides to because it's life changing things..

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think a lot of people want things they don't have at the time.. A lot that want to live in the country probably don't really realize what it takes to actually live in the country.. hehehe

I can picture some seeing it in the movies or visiting in on short trips and getting a taste of it in some way..

But let that first mountain lion or bear or rattler sighting happen  in their front yard, or simpler things like run out of butter or milk you're out picking berries and start getting stung and a few miles from the house..

That whole snow white vision of the country starts to dwindle some.. hehehe

Night time pitch black hearing SquEEEeeeeee!!!! really loud out of the night time silence will tighten up a city persons butt star real quick..  hehehehe

lol I have a friend who moved from California to Montana, as many Californian's did due to the overcrowding and high expenses.  I've heard many stories of how they imagine themselves to be rough and tough cowboys when in reality they know nothing and mess everything up around there.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

However, I think the stats are valid in terms of what people WANT, and so useful for SL. 

And here they won't encounter dangerous bears, just other odd animals running about that are manageable...haha

In other words, here they can have their dream, and LL can capitalize on that.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

However, I think the stats are valid in terms of what people WANT, and so useful for SL. 

And here they won't encounter dangerous bears, just other odd animals running about that are manageable...haha

In other words, here they can have their dream, and Ll can capitalize on that.

I'm sure they want those things and are answering to what they want..I'm not doubting the stats..  SL is a nice place to get a taste of those things..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I'm sure they want those things and are answering to what they want..I'm not doubting the stats..  SL is a nice place to get a taste of those things..

I have my doubts about the stats since there is nothing to show I've ever been a part of them.

To sum it up in a nutshell; no one ever asked me.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

lol I have a friend who moved from California to Montana, as many Californian's did due to the overcrowding and high expenses.  I've heard many stories of how they imagine themselves to be rough and tough cowboys when in reality they know nothing and mess everything up around there.

If they made the move and stick with it, they'll learn it in time.. I'm sure them locals won't be shy of giving advice..  hehehe

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I have my doubts about the stats since there is nothing to show I've ever been a part of them.

To sum it up in a nutshell; no one ever asked me.

I'm just meaning from the ones that answered.. I know they weren't speaking for me either..

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I enjoy Bellisseria, it is a great place for a free home, the moles have done a great job of landscaping, and there are a lot of cool spots they have created that you can run into at times.  With that said though, and for comedic value..

Snapshot_630.thumb.jpg.505f34b1f14bf04ca5861d45f80bc833.jpg

giphy.gif

It does lack the grit and grime that I like in virtual worlds, it is almost too perfect! 

Are we one / both of the human couple in that movie, or are we the alien?

• Like 1

Did you know there are coyotes at night in the LH Ranch regions? I heard them when I was riding my train at night, but I didn't see them. These coyotes are unusual because they don't eat cats, chickens, ducks, rabbits or small dogs. I don't think there are any skunks, raccoons or possums either.

Your dog or cat won't get hit by someone driving their pickup truck too fast. There are no crop duster planes spraying poison on the crops, which can then give you an itchy rash when it waifs over onto your property. Vehicles don't get stuck in the mud or breakdown 20 miles away from the nearest garage.

People don't need to drive into town to get groceries or go to a hospital. The electricity doesn't go out and leave the water pump non-operational, so you only have one flush left in the toilet tank. Your septic tank never needs to be emptied. You don't have to wait for burn days to burn your garbage because there's no garbage pick-up this far from town.

Most environments in SL are idealized, which is fine. We don't really want reality here. We want escapism. When you live among grit and crime in RL, you don't want to recreate it in SL. When you live in the country, you probably don't want to recreate that environment either.

I hoped LL would create Italian villas for a Mediterranean theme, but instead they created an upscale Arizona suburb. That's ok though, because people can still add their own olive trees and grapevines if they want a more realistic Mediterranean vibe. The neighborhoods are actually lovely, especially the sounds of birds and moving water. 

Thank you, Moles. 😊 

• Like 8

Bellisseria is without doubt the most picturesque builds ever done by the moles.  That doesn't invalidate or conflict with anything thing else that has been said here about them in my opinion.  All planned subdivisions/suburbs all over the world have a sameness to them that you don't get in non-planned, organically grown residential areas or in, particularly, very old cities in the world.

I didn't think that anyone was knocking Belli per se but just wishing/hoping for something that looked less planned out.  My own opinion is that even though I agree with that sentiment of a less planned look, it probably wouldn't be easy to achieve, especially to have many, many unique regions of them so enough people could choose them.

Nevertheless, it does mean that Belli isn't to everyone's taste and that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it when all said and done.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 116 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.