2024 - Will LL finally fully acknowledge the Adult side of SL?

4 hours ago, Sam Bellisserian said:

Yes! I also find many of the ones that want SL to recognize the "adult" side of SL and not hide it are also the ones that insist that this is not a dating site.  I guess you should be only here for wild and crazy unfettered sex and the minute you put a label on it like "relationship"  or "love" you are accused of using SL as a dating site.

What's wrong with SL being a dating site?  It's the perfect place for that. A way to get to know each other through fantasies. It's easy to say that we like Westerns or sci-fi movies in RL, but it's a bit more difficult to ask a potential date if they like BDSM. Here we CAN know who likes what, and move on from there. AND we have anononimity. Until we choose otherwise, no one actually knows who we are.

Edited by Bagnu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bagnu said:

What's wrong with SL being a dating site?  It's the perfect place for that.

AND we have anononimity. Until we choose otherwise, no one actually knows who we are.

Why? because you have no idea who is on the other side of the screen. Dating in second life is wonderful and so much fun, as long as it stays in second life, but now that's gonna derail the thread into one that's been discussed in a dozen threads already.

Do you or do you not confess your real life?

And at the end you answered your own question, Its insane for anyone to use SL as a RL dating site.

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 5:41 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

But I guarantee, they still boast about being OFFICIAL Mentor's in their profiles, and still wear the group tag, AND tell anyone who will listen that they are Official Mentors, when giving bad advice in some shopping group chat.

"Of course you must clear your texture cache everyday, I've been here since 2006, and I'm an Official SL Mentor, and I've spoken to a LINDEN! Fear me and OBEY!"

I make it a point to steer clear of the Forum to avoid getting tangled up in any unnecessary drama, as I was advised not to. However, the post above seems to have a rather malicious intent aimed at defaming our Mentor. I couldn't stay silent in the face of that. No one seems to be stepping up to support these Mentors against these accusations, so I've decided to speak up. And this is going to be my personal response.

As a Mentor who dedicates time to the Welcome Hub at least twice a week (Asian time zone), I want to highlight the hard work and dedication of my fellow Mentors in assisting and guiding newcomers. I've witnessed Mentors spending 2-3 hours at the hub, sometimes skipping meals just to ensure there's someone available to help. The efforts of Viola Mole and Mini Mole in organizing and training Mentors are truly commendable. It's unrealistic to expect Mentors to be present at the Welcome Hub all the time, especially during the year-end break when many of us take time off from Second Life to enjoy real-life activities.

It's essential to understand that we, as Mentors, are volunteers. We aren't paid; we do this because we find joy in being Mentors. Our title doesn't grant us any special privileges in Second Life; it simply signifies our role in assisting newcomers. Wearing the Mentor tag at the Welcome Hub serves the purpose of helping newcomers identify us and seek assistance. There's no reason to be upset about us displaying our title in this context.

The fabricated chat supposedly from a Mentor demanding obedience is entirely untrue. I have never come across any Mentor chat or conversation that involves such demands. The negativity directed at Mentors is perplexing, especially since I've checked the Forum, and no Mentors have claimed or boasted about any power. We are not Linden staff; we are volunteers.

Let's join forces to make Second Life a fantastic virtual world. I always appreciate residents who come to the Welcome Hub to help newcomers. While my focus is on new residents, it's heartening to see everyone connected at the Welcome Hub. If you feel you can contribute as a Mentor, I encourage you to apply. Let's work together to create a positive and welcoming community in Second Life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Maya Takeda said:

I make it a point to steer clear of the Forum to avoid getting tangled up in any unnecessary drama, as I was advised not to. However, the post above seems to have a rather malicious intent aimed at defaming our Mentor. I couldn't stay silent in the face of that. No one seems to be stepping up to support these Mentors against these accusations, so I've decided to speak up. And this is going to be my personal response.

As a Mentor who dedicates time to the Welcome Hub at least twice a week (Asian time zone), I want to highlight the hard work and dedication of my fellow Mentors in assisting and guiding newcomers. I've witnessed Mentors spending 2-3 hours at the hub, sometimes skipping meals just to ensure there's someone available to help. The efforts of Viola Mole and Mini Mole in organizing and training Mentors are truly commendable. It's unrealistic to expect Mentors to be present at the Welcome Hub all the time, especially during the year-end break when many of us take time off from Second Life to enjoy real-life activities.

It's essential to understand that we, as Mentors, are volunteers. We aren't paid; we do this because we find joy in being Mentors. Our title doesn't grant us any special privileges in Second Life; it simply signifies our role in assisting newcomers. Wearing the Mentor tag at the Welcome Hub serves the purpose of helping newcomers identify us and seek assistance. There's no reason to be upset about us displaying our title in this context.

The fabricated chat supposedly from a Mentor demanding obedience is entirely untrue. I have never come across any Mentor chat or conversation that involves such demands. The negativity directed at Mentors is perplexing, especially since I've checked the Forum, and no Mentors have claimed or boasted about any power. We are not Linden staff; we are volunteers.

Let's join forces to make Second Life a fantastic virtual world. I always appreciate residents who come to the Welcome Hub to help newcomers. While my focus is on new residents, it's heartening to see everyone connected at the Welcome Hub. If you feel you can contribute as a Mentor, I encourage you to apply. Let's work together to create a positive and welcoming community in Second Life.

Welcome to Second Life forums, Maya. 

I've been a resident of Second Life since 2007, was picked up initially from a Welcome area, and have always felt fortunate about the people I met during those first two weeks, because I found it all a very steep learning curve. As a believer of paying it forward, I always helped other people wherever I could, but as I took a break of several years, I find I am like a newbie all over again.

When this latest Linden initiative came about, to have mentors like yourself, a lot of us were skeptical, because of what had gone before. The majority though now are very much on board with it. You will no doubt see a lot of oldbies hanging around at the welcome hub, and most will still be wanting to pay it forward.

You'll get to know us all on the forums over time, Maya. It's a shame you were advised to steer clear of the forums. There is such a wonderful eclectic mix of folk here. Some are more helpful than others, and one or two (the minority) sit on the edges just waiting to pounce to point out "faults" with others. I still get this now. But you get to know, over time, who gives valuable advice, and like in real world, you gravitate towards those on the forums you get along with.

Our Zalificent, whose post you responded to, is actually hilarious, brutally honest, sharply cynical, and that's come from their own Second Life experiences. 

It takes all sorts to make a world. 

I hope you will stick around, read, learn, advise. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Maya Takeda said:

The fabricated chat supposedly from a Mentor demanding obedience is entirely untrue. I have never come across any Mentor chat or conversation that involves such demands.

There was a post on this forum from a non mentor, reporting that they had been asked a question by a noob, and had responded, and were then "told off" by an Official Mentor, because only Official Mentors are supposed to give answers.

Also that "blah blah fraudulent and/or bad advice, you must accept as gospel because I'm an Oldbie, and I spoke to a Linden once" is quite common in SL.

Last time I saw it, the Oldbie in question claimed they heard the bad advice from a Linden, when I asked which one, they replied "[ name of back office admin clerk from billing ] Linden" who has a disclaimer on their profile basically saying "not a tech, don't know tech stuff, don't ask tech stuff, contact Support on [ Link ]".

Apparently the advice of 4 or 5 TPV devs and a Linden dev, given here on the forum, and repeated by me was "invalid because she's a noob under 10 years in SL and I spoke to a LINDEN!".

2 hours ago, Maya Takeda said:

The negativity directed at Mentors is perplexing

There was a thread about the NEW Mentor's program, in which a lot of people expressed doubt's that it would turn out ANY different from all the previous failed programs, because of exactly the same reasons, and behaviour from the "volunteers".

2 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

Our Zalificent, whose post you responded to, is actually hilarious, brutally honest, sharply cynical, and that's come from their own Second Life experiences. 

Yeah, I've met TOO many members of assorted dead mentoring programs, who claim Divinely Inspired Auto-Rightness because they spoke to a Linden Once, and who swaggered around wearing their decade old "blah blah Mentors" tags, and claiming this made them superior in some way.

I remember meeting an "Adult Grid Mentor" who didn't know how to double click TP out of a house with a locked door. I've seen "Mentors" who only mentor the noobs they want to turn into spare sex partners, or into junior mentors, or into customers at their besties store, with notecards full of "helpful links to GOOD stores run by my friends".

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back on topic: Will the new "slightly spicy" Adult offerings have Mentors? Or, are you "on your own"?

Last time they had "Adult Mentors" the program got shut down, and every one of the survivors of that program I ever met was at best, self serving, and at worst a useless bodily orifice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Why? because you have no idea who is on the other side of the screen. Dating in second life is wonderful and so much fun, as long as it stays in second life, but now that's gonna derail the thread into one that's been discussed in a dozen threads already.

Do you or do you not confess your real life?

And at the end you answered your own question, Its insane for anyone to use SL as a RL dating site.

SL IS a wonderful dating site. Especially If it's not INTENTIONALLY used as that. I know a few couples who are together in RL because they met in SL. Really, there's no way of knowing who's behind the keyboard with ANY online dating.  SL provides the opportunity to "live" with someone, No RL dating app does that.

But you're right on not derailing the thread. As Stan Lee said, "nuff said" .

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Isn't the real question here ...

If I'm going to make alt alt to help newbies learn the more adult side of SL, do I make her look like Ginger or Mary Ann?

🤣

LOL, I've helped a lot of newbies learn the adult side. I didn't even have to dress like Ginger OR Mary Ann!!! But that does sound like fun though!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Maya Takeda said:

I agree about the new mentor program -- it appears to be working very well.

Of course there will be bad incidents (people are human)...but overall I've heard mostly positive reports on it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

useless bodily orifice.

Would make a great name for a rock band. :D 

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

There was a post on this forum from a non mentor, reporting that they had been asked a question by a noob, and had responded, and were then "told off" by an Official Mentor, because only Official Mentors are supposed to give answers.

I'd like to think any official mentor who did that would soon be an un-mentor! I think that happened during the initial bedding in period. Generally, this current mentoring thingummy seems to be working. 

Though time will tell. 

As far as staying on topic goes, I cannot visualise any Lindens or Moles venturing into anything other than vanilla adult-rated activities. (Shuddering at the thought of a Mole with a full latex body suit complete with strap-on!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Would make a great name for a rock band. :D 

I'd like to think any official mentor who did that would soon be an un-mentor! I think that happened during the initial bedding in period. Generally, this current mentoring thingummy seems to be working. 

Though time will tell. 

As far as staying on topic goes, I cannot visualise any Lindens or Moles venturing into anything other than vanilla adult-rated activities. (Shuddering at the thought of a Mole with a full latex body suit complete with strap-on!)

LOL, bedding in period? Love the pun!!!

Seriously though, I think it's up to those of us who are involved in adult activities to help newbies with that. LL simply cannot, and should not, be directly involved.. I've helped many a newbie. Most have gone their own ways. Which is fine. But one of them was, and IS my SL wife, Caitlin.

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2023 at 7:11 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Back on topic: Will the new "slightly spicy" Adult offerings have Mentors? Or, are you "on your own"?

If you need help with learning about the birds and the bees, a mentor is the last place to look for help.

Honestly, I think arguing about whether SL is this or that, whether it is or is not a dating app, etc, pretty much completely misses the point of what SL; what you make of it, regardless of what the "primary use case" of the platform is.

I have friends in SL who refer to it as "a sex game". Literally. And that is about 90% of what they do (the other 10% is evidently spent shopping for latex and lingerie). To them that is what it is, they have no interest in doing anything here other than hooking up.

I know a fair number of content creators, some who support themselves through their SL business and many more who don't, who do it because they love it. Are you going to find those folks at Bukkake Bliss (remember that place? lol). Newp. I knew a few people who spend almost all their time making performances of one sort or another, or building sims, or organizing events. I know a few architects who love SL and even use it professionally. Heck, I know one person who spends all her time on a horse.

I recall hearing years ago that Philip Rosedale left LL in part because he felt that it had devolved into a den of iniquity. True or not, I think that fact/rumor points to a perception about the platform that it's about sex. And any casual foray into SL will not counter that perception. Search in the places tab for virtually anything, sort by traffic, and dollars to donuts, 90% of the top 15 hits will be sex related lol. But get off the beaten path and you'll find hundreds of sims and tens of thousands of users who have other interests.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Thecla said:

True or not, I think that fact/rumor points to a perception about the platform that it's about sex.

I think, if you follow a lot of threads where this topic comes up, you will see some people absolutely claim and defend the notion that "it's about sex".  I find it disturbing, but hey - they are welcome to their opinion.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Thecla said:

If you need help with learning about the birds and the bees, a mentor is the last place to look for help.

Honestly, I think arguing about whether SL is this or that, whether it is or is not a dating app, etc, pretty much completely misses the point of what SL; what you make of it, regardless of what the "primary use case" of the platform is.

I have friends in SL who refer to it as "a sex game". Literally. And that is about 90% of what they do (the other 10% is evidently spent shopping for latex and lingerie). To them that is what it is, they have no interest in doing anything here other than hooking up.

I know a fair number of content creators, some who support themselves through their SL business and many more who don't, who do it because they love it. Are you going to find those folks at Bukkake Bliss (remember that place? lol). Newp. I knew a few people who spend almost all their time making performances of one sort or another, or building sims, or organizing events. I know a few architects who love SL and even use it professionally. Heck, I know one person who spends all her time on a horse.

I recall hearing years ago that Philip Rosedale left LL in part because he felt that it had devolved into a den of iniquity. True or not, I think that fact/rumor points to a perception about the platform that it's about sex. And any casual foray into SL will not counter that perception. Search in the places tab for virtually anything, sort by traffic, and dollars to donuts, 90% of the top 15 hits will be sex related lol. But get off the beaten path and you'll find hundreds of sims and tens of thousands of users who have other interests.

A mentor isn't a bad idea though. It's not easy setting up genitals, or knowing that such things as INM exist. Collars require knowledge of RLV setups (if they are used to their full potential). There are a myriad of things to know, that can take hours, or even weeks to figure out when someone is new. I was one of them.

5 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

A mentor isn't a bad idea though. It's not easy setting up genitals, or knowing that such things as INM exist. Collars require knowledge of RLV setups (if they are used to their full potential). There are a myriad of things to know, that can take hours, or even weeks to figure out when someone is new. I was one of them.

The placement of genitals in Second Life has always had me howling with laughter. 

Guys, don't you have mirrors in real life? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

IMHO mentors should be there for the first steps in SL, like avoiding getting a box on your head, teleporting, understanding what L$ are, where to get them, how to sit and stand, that kind of stuff: The basics.
Then the rest is up to the social environment that the newb embeds into. Mentors should not be life long assistants and or influencers IMHO.

• Like 6

Most, although not all, mesh attachments are rigged for specific bodies now.  If one is walking around with a starter avatar, placement of their genitalia is the least of their problems when hoping to engage in SLex.   For new people especially, I always mention that it's a lot more important that you work on your emoting (rp skills) than the mechanics of it.  The furniture does all that work and making your attachment go up and down is pretty much all you really need to start.  It's honestly surprising that after 20 yrs, the avatars don't come with some sort of basic attachment.

Women?  No, you do not NEED any attachment at all regardless of what some might tell you.  Again, it's what you say for most people and not what your cartoon body does.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1