Most supported male bodies?

Reese Wicken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Jake also probably doesn't have much of a lifespan left as far as new creations go, because Belleza has been working on male genX body for a year now. Giving how slow they always are it can take another year, but it'll probably kill new releases for Jake within a few months when it's finally out.

But as of right now, Legacy plus its Athletic version and Jake are the only ones worth getting. Gianni is being dropped for quite sometime now and it only getting worse for it.

36 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Jake also probably doesn't have much of a lifespan left as far as new creations go, because Belleza has been working on male genX body for a year now. Giving how slow they always are it can take another year, but it'll probably kill new releases for Jake within a few months when it's finally out.

But as of right now, Legacy plus its Athletic version and Jake are the only ones worth getting. Gianni is being dropped for quite sometime now and it only getting worse for it.

More people use Freya than the GenX bodies, yet Belleza has said they're not going to support their older bodies going forward.

I wonder if they'll also kill Jake by introducing an expensive GenX male body and expecting guys to dump all their Jake skins and clothing for a new one? On the other hand, if they switch to Legacy, they probably already have Legacy sizes.

Right now, I still recommend Jake too.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Thanks 1

A new Belleza male body could come next year, the year after that or maybe in five years.... And Belleza could mess up by overpricing it. The new female GenX was more or less shot dead before it could start, because it was overpriced. It is picking up speed now, but slowly.

Persephone is right, you get more sizes in the pack when you shop. Maybe a few stores rig for only one body, it is very rare. But in general, you get Jake + Legacy, or Jake + Legacy + Gianni. And some of the other bodies, but not as often as the three popular bodies.

So if you buy Jake now, you decide you want Legacy and buy it, you have a wardrobe already, with the apparel you bought for Jake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

More people use Freya than the GenX bodies, yet Belleza has said they're not going to support their older bodies going forward.

Both are the non factors really. The total stats on Lucia's list, like I wrote many times, do have all those avatars that were seen with it once, and many never logged in anymore.

Daily stats by bonniebots as of now 232 for Freya (all versions included), 97 for genx (classic+curvy and all versions too).

But that wasn't the point, even if forget those numbers are not relevant at all and Freya is indeed still worn twice as much as Genx bodies combined, there is zero new quality clothing made for it. There's not many genx things either, but at least "some". So Belleza essentially did kill their older bodies, so I'd guess they'd kill off Jake as well.

Recommendation wise... it's actually pretty subjective in many areas too. I, personally, really dislike Gianni's shape/look, and I also do not like the bubble butts on all Belleza bodies, Jake included. So I'd never recommend either of those, although I do/did point that Jake is a viable option as far as clothing support goes, for now.

I'd wait to see of Legacy will have Xmas - New Year sale and skip the Jake anyway. 1.5k vs 5k is a big increase for some people, but 1.5k and 2.5k are much closer.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, steeljane42 said:

Jake also probably doesn't have much of a lifespan left as far as new creations go, because Belleza has been working on male genX body for a year now.

When you see the amount of available outfits for Jake, i dare to doubt it will disappear.

There's so much stored in inventories that i think it will take a decade to rule it out.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

When you see the amount of available outfits for Jake, i dare to doubt it will disappear.

There's so much stored in inventories that i think it will take a decade to rule it out.

Jake has some interesting male items too. Like corsets, boys tip-toes (By Maze) and belly add-on. Some want more than the usual jeans and suits, and I think no other male body has that amount of special apparel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jake also includes a modifiable body, which I doubt Legacy has. Legacy has the highest complexity of the bodies, while a free script from Marketplace can strip off the onion layers of all the older modifiable Belleza bodies to make them BOM only and considerably lower their complexity. I know most people don't want to modify their bodies, but some do.

Legacy probably looks the best, but the "best" body shape is subjective, and the OP only asked about support by creators. Jake currently has the most. We don't really know which will have the most a year from now.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Jake has some interesting male items too. Like corsets, boys tip-toes (By Maze) and belly add-on. Some want more than the usual jeans and suits, and I think no other male body has that amount of special apparel.

Legacy does too (including a dad bod addon, though I don't know who sells clothing for that other than maybe Malediction who made it). Some stores carry feminine clothing for both (Boys to the Bone, Varsity, TwoSided, and Malediction, just to name a few). A few extra points go to Legacy for having their own high heel foot state that doesn't require a separate purchase. Hopefully Belleza gives GenX Male foot states, because there are now a few designers like Muho, Madame Noir, etc. who are making heels and plats in male sizes these days, thanks to Legacy, CZ Slim, and Anatomy all having them natively. I've only personally seen two designers create for Maze TipToes (Raven Bell and Cinphul). 

If that's the direction they want to go, though, then definitely pay close attention to things like mesh nails, because not every nail creator creates for both (Legacy might win out in that market, unless you're wanting to dip into Anatomy).

It's really a hard toss up between Jake and Legacy and will very much depend on which fashion styles we're talking about. But overall - Jake has the most complete wardrobe as of now. I avoided it like the plague though because I absolutely hate the shape (the calves bother me endlessly).

If you do choose Legacy, demo it carefully and at high altitudes. I believe the old alpha cut glitches were fixed on the Athletic version, but not the base version that I've got, soOoooOoOoOooo...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

.......... We don't really know which will have the most a year from now.

Yes, every purchase in SL is bought with the hope that the creator does not leave SL. If people bought Slink and belived it would be around for ever....

We should buy bodies in SL because we love it, and if it is enough content made for it for our purpose.

I can even find clothes for the TMP body, that is named Classic Meshbody now. A suit, a few pants, shoes, shirts, sweater, bathing shorts and jacket.

I want more for my alts, but if I should have an avatar just for business, a small wardrobe like that would do.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

I personally find it a pity that more and more creators drop support for Gianni and that the newer Signature mesh bodies (i.e. Geralt and Davis) never really took off. I've been using Gianni for a very long time but I've recently been compelled to turn to Jake more and more often as new apparel are either for Jake or Legacy. I also own Kario but I find him too muscular, even in its less muscular version.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Isaac Ashton said:

I personally find it a pity that more and more creators drop support for Gianni and that the newer Signature mesh bodies (i.e. Geralt and Davis) never really took off. I've been using Gianni for a very long time but I've recently been compelled to turn to Jake more and more often as new apparel are either for Jake or Legacy. I also own Kario but I find him too muscular, even in its less muscular version.

Perhaps it's just me, but I have noticed that male clothing designers tend to pick up new bodies verrrrrrrrrrry slowly, if at all. I expected first CZ Slim and then Anatomy to take off a lot faster, for example, but nope - only a few creators said OMG yaaaas and adopted them immediately (Cubura was so excited about Anatomy like ok so Imma just redo my entire collection to add this in go ahead and redeliver the entire store, thanks, lol). Some others are slowly coming around, but it's very, very slow! That's genuinely surprising as CZ Slim fit a desperately needed market (lithe/skinny/thin bodies) and Anatomy is so freakin' flexible on the sliders with probably the most accessible dev kit!

Davis is a great body, too, but yeah - newer male bodies really, really struggle to break into the big three (Jake, Legacy, Gianni). I feel like Kario is doing a bit better than CZ and Anatomy, though, since it's giving former Aesthetic users something modern to play with, I suppose.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Perhaps it's just me, but I have noticed that male clothing designers tend to pick up new bodies verrrrrrrrrrry slowly, if at all.

It's the old chicken vs egg thing with men's stuff in general in SL.

There's nothing for men, so men don't shop.

Men don't shop, so creators don't bother.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

It's the old chicken vs egg thing with men's stuff in general in SL.

There's nothing for men, so men don't shop.

Men don't shop, so creators don't bother.

As a woman who shops for now 3 male avatars, the highlighted is sooooooo not true lol.

There's plenty. It's just not as concentrated as it is for female avatars. For instance, there's no male equivalent to a store like Addams or Blueberry, where you could wander in and lose about 4 hours just rezzing and browsing.

I suppose the closest to that would be Ascend and Gabriel, but meh, I only lose an hour in each. 🤣

You basically have to do a lot of bouncing around. Tops here. Bottoms there. Coats over there. Leather jackets in hurrr. Ponchos up in tharr. Boots over yonder. Tight pants with good booty (don't judge me) down the block.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

As a woman who shops for now 3 male avatars, the highlighted is sooooooo not true lol.

There's plenty. It's just not as concentrated as it is for female avatars. For instance, there's no male equivalent to a store like Addams or Blueberry, where you could wander in and lose about 4 hours just rezzing and browsing.

I suppose the closest to that would be Ascend and Gabriel, but meh, I only lose an hour in each. 🤣

You basically have to do a lot of bouncing around. Tops here. Bottoms there. Coats over there. Leather jackets in hurrr. Ponchos up in tharr. Boots over yonder. Tight pants with good booty (don't judge me) down the block.

Right, my statement was speaking comparatively.

That said, even when you do hunt around, you get wildly different styles of clothing that will never be able to be worn together, if you even like them at all. Which is actually sort of on point... You're a woman saying there's plenty for men. Many men will tell you that a lot of those options don't count.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Paul Hexem said:

Right, my statement was speaking comparatively.

That said, even when you do hunt around, you get wildly different styles of clothing that will never be able to be worn together, if you even like them at all. Which for straight guys that don't like flamboyant, skinny, or feminine, really does limit us a lot.

This sounds like a challenge. I think we need a male fashion thread (wait...we don't actually have one of those, do we?!).

No but seriously, I mix and match a lot. It's very hit or miss (like mixing most mesh, really), but I've had successes. 

Speaking of threads, there are quite a few male fashion groups on Flickr that have plenty of regular casual ensembles mixed in. It's definitely possible, but it does depend on what style you're going for, sure. I've seen so much great stuff in the business casual/sport coat layering arena, for example. And tons going on in athletic/leisurewear/sweats.

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This sounds like a challenge. I think we need a male fashion thread (wait...we don't actually have one of those, do we?!).

We do not. The challenge I think would be to keep it active.

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's definitely possible, but it does depend on what style you're going for, sure

Somebody that's willing to dress baggy, untucked, or skinny/skimpy would definitely do better than more traditionally dressed men, yeah.

What gets me jealous of my lady friend is she refuses to buy stuff where she has to use alphas to hide her body, and still has endless options.

I don't think I've ever seen anything made for men that didn't require it (at least on me).

We do not. The challenge I think would be to keep it active.

Funny enough, that can be said for most threads these days. 😄

Somebody that's willing to dress baggy, untucked, or skinny/skimpy would definitely do better than more traditionally dressed men, yeah.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by traditional. This is the type of look I'm referring to seeing a lot of when I browse Flickr and go shopping (shoutout to the guys in these pics - your avies are adorbs):

“Do not wait for the perfect time and place to enter, for you are already on stage.”

Going Big Places

[ 📷 - 4375 ]

And on the more casual side:

Vamos a casa amigo

15 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

What gets me jealous of my lady friend is she refuses to buy stuff where she has to use alphas to hide her body, and still has endless options.

I don't think I've ever seen anything made for men that didn't require it (at least on me).

A lot of the stuff I buy has auto alphas, but yeah, when clothing items don't, that gets a bit meh. That's another point against Legacy for me actually - the auto alphas can take forever to hide/show the body. It's so slow compared to when I'm wearing Maitreya.

• Like 2

I very seldom see any apparel that I'm actually interested in that isn't rigged for Gianni, but then I'm fairly conservative about what I'll wear, and very picky about quality. A lot of the Jake/Legacy exclusive stuff is either fetishwear or baggy board shorts model 2 version 4479 textured by a half-blind monkey. I'm not huge on fantasy-wear but I think if I were, that could be a slight issue with Gianni as it's predominantly smaller, niche creators that drop Gianni. Between Deadwool and ColdAsh, with a dash of Legal Insanity and Ascend - and the occasional ContraptioN - pretty much all my virtual male fashion desires are quite fulfilled. 

2de348a9575a58f5188ac06b2cc53412.png

If you want to run around dressed like that, go Jake. Shrugs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

Of course it'll be around for quite sometime. I even bump onto occasional Slink users from time to time, and those bodies were dead as far as new clothing/releases go way before creator has left SL. So it will mostly depend on how much someone likes to shop for the new things. Existing vast wardrobe will continue to exist, of course, and like already said above there's a lot of good things in it, from Deadwool to ContraptioN.

But for the new things... it'll be another story. Male clothing creators already have a lot less to work with compared to the female bodies market, especially if count all those mods/addons, basically just 3 bodies because almost no one from the "big creators" picked up Kario, CZ or Anatomy bodies, same for other Signature ones which never really took off. Can't blame them, the amount of users, especially for the last two, is close to none. I wouldn't bother to rig for "those 500 possible avatars, out of which maybe 1/20 would actually be interested in buying my stuff" either.

But even having those 3 "main" bodies a lot dropped/dropping one of them, usually Gianni. I don't see them keeping up with Jake and including new GenX body whenever it's out. Especially if Belleza has learned their lesson with their failed female GenX bodies and won't shoot themselves in the foot (twice) again by pricing it 5.5k, or if they do, then not includng the upgrade path for the current Jake users. But it's Belleza we are talking about, so you never know.

And last, but not least, don't understimate the "new shiny" factor if it's done right and it takes the same niche as something existing. Now those CZ Slim and Anatomy bodies clearly don't, and they do struggle in terms of what I'd call "traditional" clothing support from the best creators (personal opinion, but what I see posted on weekend sales for both is usually bottom tier quality wise, just a bit above retextured FP templates), but if use female mesh bodies market as an example... Kupra was doing really well and climbed to the top 10 of most used bodies on the grid within a year of its release. Then objectively a better curvy body was released (Reborn), and it pretty much phased out Kupra within half a year as far as quality new clothes go.

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

the auto alphas can take forever to hide/show the body. It's so slow compared to when I'm wearing Maitreya.

It got quite a bit slower with 1.5 update (and later) compared to the older versions, but it's for the best in terms of it actually working properly, most of the time anyway. 1.4 and below had the common issue when you'd remove something with auto-alpha and it would never show the body back, similar to how older 4.x Maitreya auto-hide scripts are. So while annoying it's better that way.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 136 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.