Genus/Lara neck seam...

Madelaine McMasters

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi Kids!!!

I'm trying (and failing) to help a friend switch to Lara/LaraX. She's currently wearing a Genus Strong head with the "Miranda" face skin. She's been able to find a suitable skin tone from Velour, but the neck seam is dreadful. The skin starts to redden above the collarbone and is a significant mismatch by the time it reaches the neck.

Here are some snapshots...

NeckSeam1_001.thumb.jpg.b7ce034c18cdb362e8c96b8c6c63d7e9.jpg

NeckSeam2_001.thumb.jpg.c2162c17e6cfb387d9a18e38df58ce90.jpg

Here's what she's wearing...

NeckSeamInventory.jpeg.def1fdbbdf74384b4f912928159184bc.jpeg

ETA...

She removed the "Neck Blend" which improved things greatly. Still, there's the seam.

NeckSeam3_001.thumb.jpg.2e05ea175f40179315b7ad68a65c57d0.jpg

NeckSeam4_001.thumb.jpg.4d24f60eed794cae95f1aa5a61e68b2b.jpg

HELP!!!

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is she wearing the Velour skin in this photo? It'll show in the body parts tab. I think unless the skin and the head both use the same skin, or at least the same tone, that are designed to go together, there will always be a seam. I see she is also wearing a neck blend. I have no experience with Genus heads, but my experience with other bodies and heads taught me that sometimes you need to apply a texture to the blend..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Looking at the list of what she's wearing, she's got on the regular BOM skin, but is also wearing the 4K hairbase, neck blend (as Rowan said above), and blush.  Have her remove all of  the universal layers (the ones with the three red squares as the symbol, not the squigglies) and see if that improves matters.  If she wants to wear the hairbase and the blush, she needs to use the regular BOM versions (with the squigglies) so the mapping will match the face skin she's wearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She's wearing 2 different skin tones: ICY for the body and Porcelain for the head. She must be wearing the same skin tone for both. Furthermore as someone stated before she's wearing items for the regular UV map of the head and for the 4K. It should be one or the other but not both at the same time. For Genus, regular and 4K use different UV maps. So either she's wearing regular skins for the head or 4K skins but not both at the same time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That seam will ultimately be visible even if your skin is a plain single-color texture with no details.

Because the head creator did not match the vertex normals (technical term) of the neck to the body, shadows will appear differently on the head vs the body.

When a new head is created, it's that creator's job to match the edge between their mesh and the body. To be fair, different bodies are likely to have different necks themselves, so it's not simple to match one head to multiple bodies. (But not impossible!)

One solution (though not great) is to adjust your personal lighting (environment/EEP) instead of using the overhead sunlight from Midday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don't use Genus head, but using BoM I mix tones between head and body quite often with excellent success as long as the skins are very close in tone. The trick is to use the tattoo layer for the body at the very bottom of the stack. Then layer in the tattoo layer for the head just above the body skin tattoo. And lastly, using the bom neckblend on the tattoo layer, not a universal layer, add the neckblend above the head skin. I also use a Picasso Babe skin and use the neck blend that comes with that skin. It's important to follow this order in layering skins that are not exact matches.

Edited by Blush Bravin
spelling, grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

One more thing--I started out with a Genus head, and I don't know if they ever updated to a universal neck fit or not, so if she keeps having trouble after fixing her skin tones, try having a gander at this:

https://7deadlyskinssl.wordpress.com/troubleshooting-neck-line/

If you go down to the part about neck size it gives you something to try in the Maitreya hud. Sometimes a mismatch in neck size will manifest as looking like the wrong color.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.