Question about Intruding Objects on My Mainland Parcel

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, I've just discovered that a neighbour has a huge wrap-around scenic sphere that includes a number of objects about 2000m in the sky above her parcel, and poking a healthy bit into my parcel. By "healthy," I mean by about 20 m or so.

I think it's been there for a while (as in years), but I've never been at that particular height before, and if I've seen it before, I didn't bother noting its position.

When I go to the Land dialog and open the "Objects" tab, I am registered as the only owner of objects on my parcel: nothing, so far as I can tell, owned by the neighbour appears there.

Does this mean that the sphere and its contents are having no practical impact on my parcel, other than being visible when I near its vicinity? It certainly doesn't seem to be impacting on my LI?

I ask because I don't particularly want to start a feud with my neighbour (who actually, in effect, surrounds me on three sides), and if it's not impacting me directly, I see no reason to do anything about it. But if it is, in ways I may not be measuring, then maybe I should.

• Moles

The object is rooted on their parcel but is encroaching into yours. You are correct, it has no effect on your land, your LI or anything else. You *could* return it as an encroaching object, but if it's not bothering you and not even noticeable 2000m in the sky, there is no real reason you necessarily need to. 

If that changes and you decide you want to build something at that height you can always tell your neighbor that's what you intend to do and ask them if hey can remove it so it's not encroaching. If they don't then they can't say you didn't give them fair warning.  If they are even remotely reasonable that should avoid a conflict. But yes, if it's not bothering anything you can just choose to let it be. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, I've just discovered that a neighbour has a huge wrap-around scenic sphere that includes a number of objects about 2000m in the sky above her parcel, and poking a healthy bit into my parcel. By "healthy," I mean by about 20 m or so.

I think it's been there for a while (as in years), but I've never been at that particular height before, and if I've seen it before, I didn't bother noting its position.

When I go to the Land dialog and open the "Objects" tab, I am registered as the only owner of objects on my parcel: nothing, so far as I can tell, owned by the neighbour appears there.

Does this mean that the sphere and its contents are having no practical impact on my parcel, other than being visible when I near its vicinity? It certainly doesn't seem to be impacting on my LI?

I ask because I don't particularly want to start a feud with my neighbour (who actually, in effect, surrounds me on three sides), and if it's not impacting me directly, I see no reason to do anything about it. But if it is, in ways I may not be measuring, then maybe I should.

it has no impact, unless of course its causing lag

I'd return it anyway, because that's just me.

I even return sculpted prims if the invisible bounding box encroaches on my land.

Yes I'm that neighbor.

But on the other hand, I take great care to ensure nothing of mine encroaches on someone elses land.

Something else you can do is rezz a giant cube the exact dimensions of your parcel and tall enough to match the height of their surround, then send it up to 2000 M. Your neighbor shouldn't mind, because the cube is on YOUR property.

In fact I'll come over and do it for you if you like 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
added stuff, and added more stuff
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

it has no impact, unless of course its causing lag

I'd return it anyway, because that's just me.

I even return sculpted prims if the invisible bounding box encroaches on my land.

Yes I'm that neighbor.

But on the other hand, I take great care to ensure nothing of mine encroaches on someone elses land.

Something else you can do is rezz a giant cube the exact dimensions of your parcel and tall enough to match the height of their surround, then send it up to 2000 M. Your neighbor shouldn't mind, because the cube is on YOUR property.

lol

Thanks BJ, but I'm good!

10 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

The object is rooted on their parcel but is encroaching into yours. You are correct, it has no effect on your land, your LI or anything else. You *could* return it as an encroaching object, but if it's not bothering you and not even noticeable 2000m in the sky, there is no real reason you necessarily need to. 

If that changes and you decide you want to build something at that height you can always tell your neighbor that's what you intend to do and ask them if hey can remove it so it's not encroaching. If they don't then they can't say you didn't give them fair warning.  If they are even remotely reasonable that should avoid a conflict. But yes, if it's not bothering anything you can just choose to let it be. 

Thanks Abnor. This is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. I'm not sure how active my neighbours are anymore, tbh, but we've co-existed peacefully for at least a decade, and I see no reason to muck up their setup if it's not inconveniencing me.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

From one or more of the responses - I am surprised there is some possibility of returning the items if they are not "technically encroaching" with the root over your land.

Today I learned! 

(I had thought something just "hanging" over your land was not returnable.)

Oh yeah.  I remember testing that with Simon and Andrew many years ago.  There is a setting in the simulator to allow some returning.  Open the Region Debug Console with Control Shift ' then type help parameters into the command line at the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

From one or more of the responses - I am surprised there is some possibility of returning the items if they are not "technically encroaching" with the root over your land.

Today I learned! 

1 hour ago, Ardy Lay said:

Oh yeah.  I remember testing that with Simon and Andrew many years ago.  There is a setting in the simulator to allow some returning.  Open the Region Debug Console with Control Shift ' then type help parameters into the command line at the bottom.

In the past, where I have been griefed by having objects pushed from SLRR land onto my own, with the root prim remaining on the LL land, I haven't been able to right-click return, but what did work was returning them via the object tab in the land dialog.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Today I learned! 

In the past, that's how it worked. You could only return things with the root on your land. But people griefed with that all the time, so we were given the option to return things that overlapped. I usually ignore small skybox overlaps at heights I'm not using. I did return the giant sky sphere a not-really-neighbour put up at a height I was using. They were not actually next to me, but the sphere was so huge it went over multiple parcels.

There are times it won't work, like the object being on another region. You have to still report those.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

A positive to take from this is that since they are encroaching it indicates their permission to do similar

No, it really doesn't, just because they choose to treat your property as theirs, and encroach, doesn't mean you have any permission to join them in the ranks of SL's "petty criminals".

Find their encroaching item, file an AR for the record, then return it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

No, it really doesn't, just because they choose to treat your property as theirs, and encroach, doesn't mean you have any permission to join them in the ranks of SL's "petty criminals".

What each and everyone agrees with their neighbors it up to them I suppose.
Where I lived in the past, while winter theming my snow field went a few centimeters over the border lines. Her trees hung a bit over to my side.  It looked good this way.
We never discussed it, we both just did it in an attempt to make it look good. And it did.
I didn't had the feeling that neither I or my neighbor belonged to SL's "petty criminals".

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

On 12/5/2023 at 2:25 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

In the past, where I have been griefed by having objects pushed from SLRR land onto my own, with the root prim remaining on the LL land, I haven't been able to right-click return, but what did work was returning them via the object tab in the land dialog.

It should be exactly the opposite. The land dialog for a parcel shouldn't know about objects that aren't rooted on that parcel, but a right-click return gets the physics engine to assess in the moment whether any part of the chosen object extends onto any parcel where you have suitable object-return abilities. The calculation isn't completely trivial so it's not a thing known in advance for every object that might encroach, whereas every object always has exactly one parcel where its root origin is located.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 6:48 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Today I learned! 

In real life, my father once bought a house with a garden that had a beautiful cherry tree. Some branches were hanging over a neighbours land, but my father didn't think anything of it, and I'm guessing if it had been the other way round, he'd have been happy with it, I surely would have been. One morning, all the branches hanging over had been cut off. 

Well, you live and learn. Not everyone likes cherry trees. 

Still, a friendly note to have the tree cut (in a tree-friendly manner), would have been appreciated rather than a fly-by-night action. We moved away soon, my father didn't want his children to grow up with that kind of neighbours, and they lost neighbours who'd have lent a hand with anything, including a younger generation, which can be rather handy, especially when you don't have own children or grandchildren around, when you get too old to shovel snow and such. A while ago, I had to move away from my house of over fifteen years, I'm still on friendly terms with all immediate neighbours, and still in contact, we also meet up from time to time. A few weeks ago, I visited one of the neighbours to fix her wifi issues, she cooked me a traditional dinner from her country of origin.

Now, I live in more anonymous surroundings, but am trying to remedy that somewhat. My home baked muffins surprise was a success =

The "culture of neighbourliness" luckily isn't a lost art, but severely lacking in some surroundings. Even in virtual Second Life, I'd be happy if a neighbour would say hi, even if to ask me if they may encroach on my land and would certainly welcome them to so, if it was in a way that wouldn't trouble me too much. Asking if it's okay to encroach, even if someone thinks the neighbour won't notice anyway, however, wouldn't be asking too much, and the polite thing to do.

On 12/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This, whilst not an in-world-neighbourly thing (just try telling the neighbour if it does bother you in whatever way, would be my recommendation) is a forum-neighbourly offer, though. 😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, InnerCity Elf said:
On 12/5/2023 at 4:25 AM, BilliJo Aldrin said:

This, whilst not an in-world-neighbourly thing (just try telling the neighbour if it does bother you in whatever way, would be my recommendation) is a forum-neighbourly offer, though. 😂

Gotta love friendly people! 😍🤣

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

A positive to take from this is that since they are encroaching it indicates their permission to do similar at a different height. There are some nice little scenic themed skyspheres you might feel more comfortable using now even if they do encroach a little.

I have always been extremely careful about encroachment. I have a sky platform that is almost exactly the same width as my parcel so that I can be sure when I rez large things there that they don't extend beyond my plot.

I'm not going to consciously rez something now that intrudes into their space . . . but I may be a little less cautious about ensuring that it does not. The stuff up there is all temporary anyway (usually backdrops for pics).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It should be exactly the opposite. The land dialog for a parcel shouldn't know about objects that aren't rooted on that parcel, but a right-click return gets the physics engine to assess in the moment whether any part of the chosen object extends onto any parcel where you have suitable object-return abilities. The calculation isn't completely trivial so it's not a thing known in advance for every object that might encroach, whereas every object always has exactly one parcel where its root origin is located.

I was really surprised by this too, and I don't really understand why this has been the case. But it was. In one case, it was a huge prim that blocked literally the entire SLRR frontage of the parcel: when I right-clicked to remove, I couldn't, but it did, for some reason, register in my land tab.

/me shrugs. Mysterious are the ways of SL.

BTW, as an aside, this is the SLLU parcel that used to host the huge Brutalist tower for which you once expressed a grudging . . . nostalgia? Fondness?

That's been gone now a couple of years. I hated it. Hated hated hated.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, InnerCity Elf said:

In real life, my father once bought a house with a garden that had a beautiful cherry tree. Some branches were hanging over a neighbours land, but my father didn't think anything of it, and I'm guessing if it had been the other way round, he'd have been happy with it, I surely would have been. One morning, all the branches hanging over had been cut off. 

Well, you live and learn. Not everyone likes cherry trees. 

Still, a friendly note to have the tree cut (in a tree-friendly manner), would have been appreciated rather than a fly-by-night action. We moved away soon, my father didn't want his children to grow up with that kind of neighbours, and they lost neighbours who'd have lent a hand with anything, including a younger generation, which can be rather handy, especially when you don't have own children or grandchildren around, when you get too old to shovel snow and such. A while ago, I had to move away from my house of over fifteen years, I'm still on friendly terms with all immediate neighbours, and still in contact, we also meet up from time to time. A few weeks ago, I visited one of the neighbours to fix her wifi issues, she cooked me a traditional dinner from her country of origin.

Now, I live in more anonymous surroundings, but am trying to remedy that somewhat. My home baked muffins surprise was a success =

The "culture of neighbourliness" luckily isn't a lost art, but severely lacking in some surroundings. Even in virtual Second Life, I'd be happy if a neighbour would say hi, even if to ask me if they may encroach on my land and would certainly welcome them to so, if it was in a way that wouldn't trouble me too much. Asking if it's okay to encroach, even if someone thinks the neighbour won't notice anyway, however, wouldn't be asking too much, and the polite thing to do.

The last griefing I had at this parcel was an animated "robot" that attacked anyone on or near the front of my parcel. It used a temporary rezzer that had been placed on an owned but largely vacant lot across the way, where the autoreturn had been left off.

I contacted the owner of the parcel, whom I don't think I'd ever actually met, to ask her to turn on autoreturn, noting that her parcel was being used to grief mine, and that this particular group had, amongst other attacks, placed a huge sign with a homophobic message at the front of my land.

She was lovely. She got back to me a day or two later, apologized, turned on autoreturn -- and then erected a HUGE Pride flag on her own land as a sort of middle-finger to the griefers.

A few weeks later, she remodeled her own plot as a sort of small farm to mirror the theme of my own parcel (which is an urban guerrilla garden), and sent me a note asking if I approved.

I did. She's a lovely neighbour: if the griefing has only achieved one nice thing, it was introducing us to each other.

Which reminds me: I wanted to get her a Christmas present . . .

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yeah, I'm not big on the eye-for-an-eye approach to this kind of thing.

And, for so long as the encroachment isn't actually impacting my SL experience or land at all, I'm pretty happy to let it sit where it is.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

What each and everyone agrees with their neighbors it up to them I suppose.

Yeah, this, I think, Sid.

More generally, one of the reasons I like the mainland is that there are actual little communities of neighbours, and so much diversity of taste and experience. Besides, life's just too short to wage war over trivial stuff.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The last griefing I had at this parcel was an animated "robot" that attacked anyone on or near the front of my parcel. It used a temporary rezzer that had been placed on an owned but largely vacant lot across the way, where the autoreturn had been left off.

I contacted the owner of the parcel, whom I don't think I'd ever actually met, to ask her to turn on autoreturn, noting that her parcel was being used to grief mine, and that this particular group had, amongst other attacks, placed a huge sign with a homophobic message at the front of my land.

She was lovely. She got back to me a day or two later, apologized, turned on autoreturn -- and then erected a HUGE Pride flag on her own land as a sort of middle-finger to the griefers.

A few weeks later, she remodeled her own plot as a sort of small farm to mirror the theme of my own parcel (which is an urban guerrilla garden), and sent me a note asking if I approved.

I did. She's a lovely neighbour: if the griefing has only achieved one nice thing, it was introducing us to each other.

Which reminds me: I wanted to get her a Christmas present . . .

Thanks for sharing this lovely story. Reading, experiencing, and doing things like this, definitely belong to the things that keep me around, respectively make me come back to SL. 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 178 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.