Ineffective Altruism

Prokofy Neva

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I live in the UK too, and the existence of "National Parks" hasn't made it legal to get from A to B by trespassing on private property owned by strangers. So you can drop that SPURIOUS argument RIGHT there.

That's interesting, I thought "the right to roam" made it OK!

Oh, I see: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/07/first-edition-right-to-roam

"Only 8% of England is covered by the “right to roam”, an ancient custom that allows anyone to wander in open countryside, no matter who owns it. For centuries there has been a growing conflict between those who are in favour of it, and those who would like to restrict access to private land."

Thanks!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Oh, I see: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/07/first-edition-right-to-roam

"Only 8% of England is covered by the “right to roam”, an ancient custom that allows anyone to wander in open countryside, no matter who owns it. For centuries there has been a growing conflict between those who are in favour of it, and those who would like to restrict access to private land."

Thanks!

In SL terms it's the difference between "right to roam Gov Linden's abandoned land" and "enter my parcel and the Slaughter & Carnage Inc 'Destroy ALL Enemies' zero second SecuriMax orb punt kicks your ass".

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah it's complicated. "Right to Roam" is also different across Europe:

PS: Even in the USA this is not consistent.

In California there IS a right like this as applied to the coastline. You cannot block access to a beach. That trips up a lot of those 'tech bros' who move out to California from other states, buy a mansion, and wall off the beach like they think they're in New York or something.

• Like 3

On 11/10/2023 at 3:32 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

In theme builds along the route ? 

You mean the Japanese rural rail stop? The one who's builder claimed they built a JAPANESE themed rail stop to "be in theme with the other builds on the region"? Despite the fact that when the rail stop was built, the ONLY other builds at ground level on the region were a Cruciform Headstone as a memorial to a dead loved one, that was encroached on and eventually driven away by the rail fail, and a stepped pyramid, neither of which were noticable for being  "Japanese Themed".

That's just about the only 3rd party rail theme build still standing along the route. And while you, an OUTSIIDER, might count it's impact as positive, I doubt many of the locals agree.

Would you like to guess how many "people" travel along the rail-fail? You can count them on the fingers of one hand of a blind carpenter.

Also, it DOESN'T link to the unused road system, it stops, some distance away, and the only way to get from the rail fail to the road is to TRESPASS on residential property.

It was built to connect NOWHERE to NOWHERE, I know this because I watched the thing being built. I am well aware of it's history of induced planning blight, in all it's gory detail.

I don't think I know this rail-fail because it's on a continent I think I left long ago, not sure.

I'm aware of roads that have odd teleport boards with funny slogans made by the Moles, instead of normal roads built through. If they couldn't be pushed through because the sims were too hastily rolled out at the time on the auctions to get roads in time, certainly now, with all the abandoned land, they could.

No, I know of ANOTHER very long-drawn out rail-fail that was rehearsed here on the forums with all sorts of crazy and falsehoods, which boiled down to this:

o resident RR ambitiously bought up land and pushed through a rail without a lot of planning.

o when they encountered other people, they would try to buy them out or ask at least for a through-pass (which I did in my case).

o though I was friendly to RRs and like them in general, THIS one had some odd aspects, like an ugly electric power station on a riverbank and ugly pilons rising above the view over a nice, bucolic pond. It was redundant, given that a mere sim away, the Lindens had the SLRR -- but since it came to one of its dead-ends, a group of furries began agitating mightily when....

o the inevitable happened, and said resident RR enthusiast dumped his rail. Some of us had abandoned our land under the shadow of his huge pylons; now we could get it back. A lot of his land stayed abandoned or got rounded up by the Lindens who wrote "right of way" on some of it, as if they were going to add a leg to their own SLRR.

o but life happened, the Lindens dropped it, the main Lindens pushing the concept was let go,, LL became distracted with Bellisseria, and they actually sold off on the auction some of what seemed like "Linden Land".

o When a week later, I turned up as owner of this land -- for those not following every chapter -- accusations flew that "the Lindens gave me their land as I was their pet." In fact, a furry bought the land fairly on the auction and flipped it; I bought it from *him*.

o The claque kept agitating for "my land" which was now "in the way of the Lindens' railroad" and "stopping progress" to be taken by "eminent domain". LL wasn't interested. PS, had they wished to push their RR through, they could have gone over other abandoned land nearby or made overpasses. It's their world. They would have been prettier than the resident's pylons.

o Endless crazy persisted around this, but oddly enough, when we abandoned that land some months ago, no RR enthusiast seized it, nor did any Lindens. It was requested by land cutters who chopped it to ad farms.

Please don't talk to me about resident railways ever again. I no longer believe in them. I have other stories to tell; it's enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The half region sized double decker primcrap anti gravity airport occupied by two traffic gaming AFK's perma-parked on the taxi-way? Or the Empty A frame cottage with the "decorative" wrecked car in the yard?

The non fuctional shell of a "train shed".

A rail stop, on a rail line, that appears to be part of the rail line.

You know, if *II* was trying to "connect the rail line to the road for transportation infrastructure," I'd have built that 4 regions south, not where it ends, on the wrong side of a sodding lake.

This is where the rail fail should have gone if it was intended to link with the road, but, it doesn't, the actual end of the track is further north where road access means crossing a lake and other peoples property.

They could have done a right turn instead of building fake tunnels, and ended the track by the road, within spitting distance of one of those STFU Hubs.

The whole project SCREAMS arrogance and incompetence. Typical of overentitled outsiders deciding what's best for a community they are not part of.

While we're on this painful topic, let me rest on the subject of Baghera for a moment.

At one point in their long and glorious history, the Lindens held an architectural contest to have residents build rail stations.

What actually happened is that first *I* bought up a dozen railside plots and held a contest to build anything -- a station, a store, a housing complex -- and the winner would get a cash prize and build it there. Nigel Linden gave me a model train (which I still have, ask me for it) to use in the promotion. My contest was heavily griefed by people who felt I was too prominent, too busy, ,too something.

The Lindens then stepped in an coopted this idea -- after doing nothing about the heavy griefing -- and got perhaps a few dozen submissions, which they placed around the grid.

In Baghera, a modern, sleek looking station was built by Alazarin Mondrian, as good if not better than a similar one by Jauani Wu and others, but for some reason, after being placed for a time in Baghera by the Lindens, some time later it was removed, and in fact, a much higher prim station was put there by Michael Linden, along with outrageously high prim props like suitcase trolleys, still there today. I never understand why that happened.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thanks!

The Soviet had this, too, and it comes as a shock to Russian emigres to discover that they can't just walk through people's backyards, and some people think they even own the ocean shore and put up guard dogs to enforce it. Of course, they collectivized land by murdering tens of millions of people, but yeah, "right to roam".

The Lindens could, of course, exercise "eminent domain" here, compensating land owners, and fix this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah it's complicated. "Right to Roam" is also different across Europe:

PS: Even in the USA this is not consistent.

In California there IS a right like this as applied to the coastline. You cannot block access to a beach. That trips up a lot of those 'tech bros' who move out to California from other states, buy a mansion, and wall off the beach like they think they're in New York or something.

In Brighton Beach and for that matter in Cape Cod, people can own X amount of feet of shoreline, but of course not the ocean as such so their ownership taps out. So now how do you get to that shoreline or that low tide such as to walk along it legally? You can't, because you'd have to cross the 10 yards or whatever of that owned land where there are guard dogs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In Brighton Beach and for that matter in Cape Cod, people can own X amount of feet of shoreline, but of course not the ocean as such so their ownership taps out. So now how do you get to that shoreline or that low tide such as to walk along it legally? You can't, because you'd have to cross the 10 yards or whatever of that owned land where there are guard dogs.

Which is why in California people can't really own the beach. Neither can their neighbors though, so no beach home owner has their view blocked & everyone can walk or run the length of the beach.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

In Baghera, a modern, sleek looking station was built by Alazarin Mondrian, as good if not better than a similar one by Jauani Wu and others, but for some reason, after being placed for a time in Baghera by the Lindens, some time later it was removed, and in fact, a much higher prim station was put there by Michael Linden, along with outrageously high prim props like suitcase trolleys, still there today. I never understand why that happened.

The "Baghera" here seems to conflate "Bagheera" that came up earlier in the thread (and about which I know nothing at all) and "Bhaga" where indeed Michael's SLRR terminal replaced a quite nice build by Alazarin Mondrian, which replacement I too never understood.

One thing I do like about the expanded Bhaga terminus is a kind of train ferry site to the west of that big passenger terminal. It's reminiscent of a build in Vicina, so at some point I cobbled together something vaguely similar at the other end of the main SLRR line in Tuliptree, just in case anybody ever started ferrying trains around the Atoll.

That old resident station-building project for the SLRR is particularly meaningful to me because I was very new to SL when the competition began, and I had only the basics of building skills but that didn't deter me from entering an insane conglomeration of geometry that I thought would be just perfect for the Crenulate site. Then I saw what was actually chosen and I realized I'd never be considered a serious builder in SL. (This was all prims, before even sculpties.)

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

The "Baghera" here seems to conflate "Bagheera" that came up earlier in the thread (and about which I know nothing at all) and "Bhaga" where indeed Michael's SLRR terminal replaced a quite nice build by Alazarin Mondrian, which replacement I too never understood.

One thing I do like about the expanded Bhaga terminus is a kind of train ferry site to the west of that big passenger terminal. It's reminiscent of a build in Vicina, so at some point I cobbled together something vaguely similar at the other end of the main SLRR line in Tuliptree, just in case anybody ever started ferrying trains around the Atoll.

That old resident station-building project for the SLRR is particularly meaningful to me because I was very new to SL when the competition began, and I had only the basics of building skills but that didn't deter me from entering an insane conglomeration of geometry that I thought would be just perfect for the Crenulate site. Then I saw what was actually chosen and I realized I'd never be considered a serious builder in SL. (This was all prims, before even sculpties.)

OK, thank you for that clarification. 

Well, perhaps not considered "a serious builder" *for that purpose*, but please yourself.

Being unceremoniously removed from Bhaga -- as I must now remember it -- has certainly not deterred Alazarin, who recently completed a really nice Art Deco sort of tower for us on the Mainland island of Ross, as well as other projects.

But I do wonder what the rationale was (claques of furries involved? Concern about prims? But that surely wasn't it.)

Michael Linden made sure to leave his mark on SL and shall never be forgotten.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

While we're on this painful topic, let me rest on the subject of Baghera for a moment.

At one point in their long and glorious history, the Lindens held an architectural contest to have residents build rail stations.

What actually happened is that first *I* bought up a dozen railside plots and held a contest to build anything -- a station, a store, a housing complex -- and the winner would get a cash prize and build it there. Nigel Linden gave me a model train (which I still have, ask me for it) to use in the promotion. My contest was heavily griefed by people who felt I was too prominent, too busy, ,too something.

The Lindens then stepped in an coopted this idea -- after doing nothing about the heavy griefing -- and got perhaps a few dozen submissions, which they placed around the grid.

In case anyone wondered what happened to MY project (I still have the poster!) I ended up not being able to justify building on the lots purchased by the SLRR once the Lindens overshadowed it with their stations.

So instead, the contract was awarded to Alias Stonebender to build the Solar City in Hartwick. It had futuristic homes you entered by the roof and a large stadium with a sun design, homes combined with stalls to sell things. Jer Graaf already had his RR in Sutherland, so I provided land for him to extend it from there through Hartwick and Wakeley, and at one time it went all the way to Brownlee where I had land by the old telehub which the Lindens replaced with a juice bar. All of this is gone now. I had to end my support of Jer's RR sadly (he also built for me an amazing apartment tower for Brownlee that did very well for a time and was cleverly designed to give people dedicated parcels and privacy). That's because...people didn't use the RR and didn't tip even if they did. That's the way of the virtual world. I eventually had to dump all the land in Hartwick as well as all kinds of other things like Horizons competed with it -- and "space" is a niche in SL anyway.

Again, as this is the "ineffective altruism" corner, you have to please yourself, do things that make sense for you, business-wise, stay small, and not depend on the Lindens. PS Railroads are niche, too, like space.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 164 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.