Is there "official" Second Life lore?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If there is I never found it all written down anywhere.

I liked the story of how Nautilus was 'discovered' the best, I had found the Mole Machine drilling platform before but didn't know what it was until someone gave me a tour and explained it all.

The gist of it is that the moles went drilling under the sea and right through the Nautilus continent which was somehow magically hidden until they... did something with ancient crystals left by ancient civilization and some ancient computer, I think. I forget it all, it was fun to get the tour that explained it though.

It's also why you see that big straight cut through the middle of Nautilus, the crystals and ancient computer temple thing are near the giant hole the mole machine emerged from (I think).

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

If there is I never found it all written down anywhere.

I liked the story of how Nautilus was 'discovered' the best, I had found the Mole Machine drilling platform before but didn't know what it was until someone gave me a tour and explained it all.

Nautilus discovery backstory, huh? Guess I gotta look this up!

1 hour ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

The reason why I ask is because after reading a topic someone mentioned that the mainland had scattered clues of the "past before" Second Life. I had assumed before that since this is a social sandbox, there would be no "official" lore in SL at all.

All that comes to mind is a name. Steller Sunshine. And the tale of the beanstalk. Is that classed as lore?

• Like 1

Particularly in role playing games or any game that takes place in a made up universe, the lore typically refers more to the backstory/history of either your character or the game world,

If you agree with this definition, you might look for lore within communities that have emerged rather than the things that Lindens have created.

• Like 1

When i was doing my nude walk across second life years ago, me and my sister, while wandering Bay City, found a museum / art gallery that had on display the very first prim ever created. We marvelled at it and wondered how  everything (including ourselves) could be decended from such a simple object. It almost makes you want to believe in God.

They also had tentacles on display, but i think they had been neutered in keeping with the “no public sex on a moderate sim” rule. 😂

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
moved a comma
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

All that comes to mind is a name. Steller Sunshine. And the tale of the beanstalk. Is that classed as lore?

I think of "lore" as more fictional backstory than history, but that would be a semantics question for the OP. The fandom site (née wikia) has this to say:

Steller Sunshine was the first SL resident ever, with a birthdate of 3/13/2002, when SL was still in alpha. She built some of the first resident content in SL, including the Governor's Mansion, a treehouse and a large beanstalk.

Generally these fandom articles on SL seem to be more fact than fanfic, but YMMV. And so many of the links are broken thanks to generations upon generations of botched forums re-hostings. It's a shame. (My dad used to quote the adage "two moves is as good as a fire" and with content management software, it's all too true.)

• Like 3

The Wall of History seems to replicate what is on the Wikia, I am not sure which was the original source.

For Fanfic type lore the Ivy Lane stuff on the Wikia about Philip Linden and the role of Hippos is perhaps the most creative. There are quite a few Hippos around at old Info Hubs, page on Hippos on the Wiki and there is key combination Easter egg (Ctrl Alt Shift H).

Ivy Lane's Collosal replica of Philip Linden's pants can still be found on a parcel just off the SW corner of the body of water the where the Particle Laboratory is. (Edit to add it in Hina)

Edited by Aethelwine
to add link and make easier to read
  • Like 3

Warmouth Info Hub has this fine fella :

WamouthHippo_001.thumb.jpg.9c1e5d6ccd0a8f659eae411d54cb4095.jpg

Along with an info giver:

Oh the great Hippo! Stomper of gnomes! Savior of all Second Life! How we worship thee! 

The tale of the Hippo began simply enough in a forum thread by Darwin Appleby in which he strikes a long lasting topic about Hippos, which became one of the longest lasting threads on the SL forums. It was then carried over into the grid when Hikaru Yamamoto started a zoo in which a small Hippo family could be found. This small yet humble family loved to be fed by visitors and soon became a crowd favorite! Soon enough Hippo statues and avatars began to appear through-out the grid! This Hippo mania did not end with the residents themselves, instead it was caught by the Lindens themselves and seeped into the core of Second Life (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-H)! Whenever bugs were found (planted by evil Gnomes) the Hippos would be unleashed and they would skip through SL stoping the bugs and Gnomes while residents were kept out (Hippos are very shy about their job)! 

Some may have forgotten about the beloved Hippo, but to others the Hippos shall never die! Living on as the legendary folk heros that they really are! 

Do not forget to celebrate SL National Hippo Day on Febuary 15th! 

(HIPPO was also the name of a Linden made device that you could put keywords into and it would detect other people wearing HIPPO's that had the same keywords in them as well. Example: Oz Spade has "cats" in his HIPPO, Bob Boberson has "cats" in his HIPPO, Oz walks past Bob, and both of their HIPPO's light up. The HIPPOs still work, but are not used by many residents, becoming one of those things that "never really caught on".) 

During 2005 there was a competition in Second Life to 'modify' hippos into a variety of themes, the winners being put on display in Telehubs (now infohubs).  Many can still be found as you wander around the world.

This hippo was the winning competition entry from Aliasi Stonebender, entitled "SLider Jerusalem, Hard-hitting Hippo Journalist of the Future", after Spider Jerusalem, a fictional character and the protagonist of the comic book Transmetropolitan.

He was placed here after the competition, and has been retained in the rebuild of the Infohub.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 6

Seeing all the posts about "Magellan Linden" made me wonder, "Why pick 'Magellan' from all the explorers? Was he less 'evil' then the rest by today's standards?"

A quick Google search did find that he had at least one "personal slave".

Not sure if Magellan was also a "mass murderer" like some other explorers were..ETA: Yes, he was.  

Oopsie.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Glad it says "hippo", when I saw the picture I was wonder if it was a particularly ugly pig!

..no insult intended to Aliasi Stonebender..

I am a rubbish photographer, it looks more obviously a Hippo in person.

There are Hippos at other info hubs too. I think these are at Ambat,

Snapshot_182.thumb.jpg.cb62ce64ce55aa0021c9fe653e4ce075.jpg

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Why pick 'Magellan' from all the explorers? Was he less 'evil' then the rest by today's standards?

Astronomers call for renaming the Magellanic Clouds: Explorer Ferdinand Magellan's name is not fitting, a group of scientists argues

42 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

The tale of the Hippo began simply enough in a forum thread by Darwin Appleby in which he strikes a long lasting topic about Hippos, which became one of the longest lasting threads on the SL forums. It was then carried over into the grid…

"… in a forum thread…"

Fetch a scribe! Let us make Myth!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think similar to Greek Myth where before the Olympian Gods, there were the Titans.

In the olden days of SL it was populated by giants. You can see evidence of that in structures and furniture you find from those times.. like this Spyglass in Bay City. I need to stand on 3 prims just to see through the eyepiece

Snapshot_227.thumb.jpg.43b3af77ec6ea0c2ed76aad0567c3c41.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/29/2023 at 10:42 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

The reason why I ask is because after reading a topic someone mentioned that the mainland had scattered clues of the "past before" Second Life. I had assumed before that since this is a social sandbox, there would be no "official" lore in SL at all.

There was a post somewhere on some forum that made me laugh. It started with..

"In the beginning, there was Phill"

• Like 1

Sadly I can't find it....so I asked chat GPT to re create it

"In the beginning, Phillip Rosendale created the virtual realm of Second Life. This digital realm was initially void and without form, much like an empty canvas, awaiting the creative touch of its residents. The Spirit of Phillip Rosendale hovered over the metaverse, ready to bring life to this digital canvas. And then Phillip Rosendale said, "Let there be interactivity and immersive experiences." With the power of scripting, objects in Second Life came to life, responding to the commands and desires of its residents. Doors opened, vehicles moved, and virtual pets played, all thanks to the magic of LSL scripting. Phillip Rosendale saw that this interactivity was good.

Phillip Rosendale declared the land of Second Life to be a canvas for the builders and creators. They used the tools at their disposal to shape and mold the world, just as artists use brushes to paint on a canvas. With the power of prims, sculpties, and mesh, they brought forth beautiful and intricate structures. And Phillip Rosendale said, "Let there be textures to adorn the creations." The texturing tools in Second Life allowed residents to apply intricate designs and realistic textures to their creations. Buildings and objects became not just functional but visually stunning, from the lush greenery of a forest to the gleaming steel of a skyscraper."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 240 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.