I want to change my name but it's been refused.

Fezspana

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi. There was a last name on the list a while back which hasn't been available for a long time. Coincidentally, it's a name my friend calls me and I would like to change it.

I wrote two tickets but was told each time that that name is not available and likely won't come back into rotation.

I don't get it. I'm a paying member of SL. it would enrich my experience. Why does LL seem determined to make things less fun? I'm willing to pay the price to change my name. Can someone tell me how I can get around this stupid anti-fun arrogance of LL and get the name I want?

17 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Fezspana said:

that name is not available and likely won't come back into rotation.

If you are told this, then unless the name DOES come back into rotation, it is the "final answer".   Names come and go, and don't usually "come back".  

However:

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Make a display name.

This is your "workaround".  Many, many people use a different "display name".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If you are told this, then unless the name DOES come back into rotation, it is the "final answer".   Names come and go, and don't usually "come back".  

However:

This is your "workaround".  Many, many people use a different "display name".

This is the only way, as @Love Zhaoying points out. Old names do not seem to ever come back into rotation.

My male alt was unable to "officially" grab the first name I wanted to go along with Heartsong (it was already being used) and I foolishly did not pick an acceptable alternate at the time, and now Heartsong is long out of rotation. So my male alt is stuck with "[something] Resident" as his official name, but is my display name in-world that people see above my head is "[name I wanted] Heartsong".

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fezspana said:

Hi. There was a last name on the list a while back which hasn't been available for a long time. Coincidentally, it's a name my friend calls me and I would like to change it.

I wrote two tickets but was told each time that that name is not available and likely won't come back into rotation.

I don't get it. I'm a paying member of SL. it would enrich my experience. Why does LL seem determined to make things less fun? I'm willing to pay the price to change my name. Can someone tell me how I can get around this stupid anti-fun arrogance of LL and get the name I want?

LL owns SL and they make the rules.  Just because you are a paying member is not a reason for the rules not to apply to you.  If you don't like it, you are free to leave.

.ByeBye.gif.d87e0282b78a5b47eadb083393454d43.gif

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fezspana said:

I understand that, but there's another option: I'll just stop paying for a membership and remain in SL without supporting them. Two can play at that game.

That will show them! The only problem with that is they couldn't care less. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fezspana said:

Hi. There was a last name on the list a while back which hasn't been available for a long time. 

It was never before available, names come up only once, and you'll have to act as long it's there, the only one to blame is... you
(and you don't have to be a premium member to change a name, if i'ts only for a name, a one time higher fee is cheaper as going premium and not use the ability)

2 hours ago, Fezspana said:

If I make a display name won't resident still show up as my surname?

No, but you probably won't like the reality either.

You can have anything you want as a display name. For example, you could be Daisy Q. Duck. And you can change the display name as often as once per week. But your user name does not go away. That will still be Fezspana.resident. (Oh...and you can't use "Linden" in your display name. That's considered impersonating a Linden). Other people can set their viewer preferences to show only display names, only user names, or both display and user names. With the latter, you are labeled as Daisy Q. Duck (Fezspana). "Resident" is still used by some legacy items, but I don't think it's actually shown in the viewer any more.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:25 PM, Fezspana said:

it would enrich my experience. 

Yeah, okay, but there are many people who would PITCH AN ABSOLUTE FIT if somebody came in later and got assigned "their" last name after the original offer passed. Of course that reaction makes no sense, but it's really not Linden Lab's lunacy here, it's the deep, deep entitlement of virtual world players that's hard to plumb.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Fezspana said:

If I make a display name won't resident still show up as my surname?

Only with antique scripted items or if someone has deliberately set their viewer to show the "Resident" last name that is automatically hidden in the default settings of both the LL viewer and Firestorm. If that last one is what you're worried about, it's probably possible for someone to write a viewer that turns any last name into a five-digit number, because that's all it is.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:32 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, okay, but there are many people who would PITCH AN ABSOLUTE FIT if somebody came in later and got assigned "their" last name after the original offer passed. Of course that reaction makes no sense, but it's really not Linden Lab's lunacy here, it's the deep, deep entitlement of virtual world players that's hard to plumb.

How annoying. People add to surnames in real life all the time. Imagine George Washington having a child's temper tantrum over all the Washingtons that have come after him.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 11:37 PM, Alwin Alcott said:

It was never before available, names come up only once, and you'll have to act as long it's there, the only one to blame is... you

Ok, but who even knew that names rotate? I certainly didn't. It's not something one is told when one joins. As long as there isn't two people with the same first and last name what's the problem?

This kind of bureaucratic thinking doesn't help.

2 hours ago, Fezspana said:

Bureaucratic thinking? It's a thing that was added at the start of the new name choice already, and, as it also was with the original legacy names in the past.
And not as last.. in SL its always wise to read about the features in the wiki or blogs.

We will continue to make additional updates to the available last name pool, so if these options aren’t for you, stay tuned for future updates. 

You can keep on going with your own logic, but it's SL and everything around it is arranged by LL.

On 10/18/2023 at 10:21 PM, Fezspana said:

Ok, but who even knew that names rotate? I certainly didn't. It's not something one is told when one joins. As long as there isn't two people with the same first and last name what's the problem?

You had no idea that names rotate however, you know that SL has lost so many players due to the fact they can't change their name to what they want?  Do tell how you know this? Did you take a poll or are they all your friends?

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 196 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.