Question about forum signatures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

We need more emoticon responses...

They have to SL emoticons.

oops

They have to be SL emoticons.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

This Halloween is going to be a good one for signatures.

Don't forget to make it orange, and I would like some hair, super messy hair, on the trapped creature inside.

Let me know when you have it out for sale   :)

Edited by Luna Bliss

On 8/27/2023 at 1:06 AM, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm surprised that any advertising at all from signatures is allowed.  What's the benefit in carving out that as an exception to the general rule here?

It's normal for forums to allow information for finding out more about a poster. Usually in the profile and/or signature. For most forums, that'd mean letting people link to things like websites and social media. For this forum, it means linking to things in Second Life. The nature of Second Life means some of those will be commercial or the line will be tricky to define (a lot of places sell something or have donation jars, even if they're not so obviously a shop).

The most obvious reason for allowing it is because people often do want to know more about posters they like. But if you're bah humbug on people, you still get the benefit of not having to see endless conversations where people ask for that information. Putting it in profiles/signatures means it can be both easily ignored and easily found.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:
On 8/26/2023 at 7:06 PM, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm surprised that any advertising at all from signatures is allowed.  What's the benefit in carving out that as an exception to the general rule here?

It's normal for forums to allow information for finding out more about a poster. Usually in the profile and/or signature. For most forums, that'd mean letting people link to things like websites and social media. For this forum, it means linking to things in Second Life. The nature of Second Life means some of those will be commercial or the line will be tricky to define (a lot of places sell something or have donation jars, even if they're not so obviously a shop).

The most obvious reason for allowing it is because people often do want to know more about posters they like. But if you're bah humbug on people, you still get the benefit of not having to see endless conversations where people ask for that information. Putting it in profiles/signatures means it can be both easily ignored and easily found.

I think you summed it up very well!

I'd add one thought -- commerce is very important to the continued existence of SL, so of course they'd sponsor appropriate types of advertising in its service.

13 minutes ago, Polenth Yue said:

For other forums I would agree, however in SL's case it's largely unnecessary as the poster's name will lead to an inworld profile which could contain all the information about that person they desire to share.

I think you have to take my post in context of what is not allowed in the forums here at least in General Discussion.  There is no advertising allowed at all.  My surprise is that considering that, advertising is allowed in any form in the signature.

There are certainly grey areas just like with many areas of SL where there are rules, LL has to make a call.  Just like they are going to have to do now with signatures that try to move into the grey areas for political advertising.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think you summed it up very well!

I'd add one thought -- commerce is very important to the continued existence of SL, so of course they'd sponsor appropriate types of advertising in its service.

And yet LL deliberately constrain advertising for the forum in General Discussion.  The two decisions don't seem to sync up well in my mind.  That's the only part that bothers me, inconsistency.  Not the signatures as I have those turned off for everyone.

6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You mean constrain advertising for RL and political issues?

No I mean this:

"No Advertising: Advertising outside of designated areas is not allowed on the Second Life Forums. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, services, Second Life regions, or in-world business. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service. "

From here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines

Edited by Gabriele Graves

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

You mean constrain advertising for RL and political issues?

No I mean this:

"No Advertising: Advertising outside of designated areas is not allowed on the Second Life Forums. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, services, Second Life regions, or in-world business. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service. "

From here: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines

Ahh ok. Well to me it just means they are setting a boundary around advertising via limiting it to one little space on our signatures. Otherwise too many posts would be filled with mostly spam trying to bring people to their project or in order to sell their wares. They permit it within reason but want to control any excess.

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Ahh ok. Well to me it just means they are setting a boundary around advertising via limiting it to one little space on our signatures. Otherwise too many posts would be filled with mostly spam trying to bring people to their project or in order to sell their wares. They permit it within reason but want to control any excess.

Of course, that's obvious but to loop back to my original comment, a little surprising that's all.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.