Question about forum signatures

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Perrie Juran said:

Which raises the question, under what category would you abuse report this?

Showing support for a RL candidate on your private property is permitted. The only thing that is banned is political ads on networked advertising.

2 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

Good question.   I think I know the answer but I'll check with Governance before I commit myself.

And while I can't state any off of the top of my head at the moment this is the case with many things that fall under the umbrella of "Linden Lab Official." It is often unclear what category to use.

Each forum post with advertising could be considered network advertising?  

By "networked advertising", means the use of multiple posts on multiple forums for the primary purpose of advertising, usually on behalf of other inworld businesses or organizations outside of Second Life.

Therefore, political advertising would not be allowed?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

“Linden Lab holds core to its values a respect for diversity of opinion and free speech, which is abundant in Second Life. That’s why political content is not banned from privately-owned land and estates within Second Life. As with many social platforms, we do have community standards [link] that restrict hate speech, harassment and illegal content.

“However, there was a slight change in our policy that only impacts ‘ad farms’ and networked advertising in Second Life. For these types of ads, there are some newer content restrictions including a rule that ad content ‘may not be political in nature.’

“For context, this policy change does not impact anyone who wants to stick any political or advocacy signage in their virtual ‘front yard’ — whether it be an election sign, a BLM sign or rainbow flag. Rather, the change impacts only mass proliferation of advertisements in our Linden Lab-controlled public spaces.

“Thus, this policy applies to ‘networked advertising’ businesses in Second Life that dynamically distribute ads widely across multiple virtual world regions or small parcels. Further, it applies only to public areas on Second Life (known as Mainland) that are maintained by Linden Lab. In those public spaces, we have never allowed ‘ad farms’ (which are defined as advertising or content intended solely to drive an unreasonable price for the land parcel it is on and/or that exists to spoil the nearby visual environment for others). For reference, see our public policy at [link].”

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/03/second-life-bans-all-in-game-advertisements-that-are-political-in-nature/

Hope this clears things up 😁

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Political signs on private property are allowed, there are no rules forbidding this.

Except Belli of course.

Why do you have to advertise it at all on the forum?  In my opinion directing people to your land via a signature to advertise a RL candidate should be banned.  I hope that is the answer we get. I'm sure though you'll be back to figure out some other way to skirt the rules.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

By "networked advertising", means the use of multiple posts on multiple forums for the primary purpose of advertising, usually on behalf of other inworld businesses or organizations outside of Second Life.

Therefore, political advertising would not be allowed?

that makes it sound like you can't even advertise an inworld store in your signature.

2 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

that makes it sound like you can't even advertise an inworld store in your signature.

Why?  Network advertising is allowed, correct?

The quote I had was from what networked advertising is which is allowed.  Political advertising is not allowed in network advertising which sounds like what forum signatures would fall.under.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Why do you have to advertise it at all on the forum?  In my opinion directing people to your land via a signature to advertise a RL candidate should be banned.  I hope that is the answer we get. I'm sure though you'll be back to figure out some other way to skirt the rules.

There is no skirting, you either follow the rules or you break the rules.

And, I always follow the rules, and that is what infuriates so many in here.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I'm surprised that any advertising at all from signatures is allowed.  What's the benefit in carving out that as an exception to the general rule here?

That's the rule that Rowan just showed us, no advertising of any sort allowed.

Which brings up another question, when I complete Southland Park, can I advertise it in my signature? Its not a store, I'm not selling anything there

What is networked advertising?

A number of you have raised concerns over going the formal license route, and we, too, have come to the conclusion that this isn't the best option. So instead, we're going to cover ad farming activities (and the operating of network advertising businesses) under our Terms of Service, specifically as harassment under clause 4.1.

Note: By "networked advertising", means the use of multiple parcels on multiple regions for the primary purpose of advertising, usually on behalf of other inworld businesses or organizations outside of Second Life.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Which brings up another question, when I complete Southland Park, can I advertise it in my signature? Its not a store, I'm not selling anything there

No, they don't allow ad farming as you know.  You've said yourself that you use network advertising which is allowed.  Forum signatures would be networked advertising IMO.

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Read my edit.

from your quote:

So, according to your own quote, its against the rules to advertise ANY business in your signature

• Confused 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

No, they don't allow ad farming as you know.  You've said yourself that you use network advertising which is allowed.  Forum signatures would be networked advertising IMO.

I don't have any networked advertising any more, but yes according to the rules, advertising your store in your signature is networked advertising and against the rules.

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

From: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines

"No Advertising: Advertising outside of designated areas is not allowed on the Second Life Forums. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, services, Second Life regions, or in-world business. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business."

Emphasis mine.  It's an explicit exception.

One that does not mention political information and so the exception doesn't apply to that though.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gabriele Graves said:

From: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Forum_Participation_Guidelines

"No Advertising: Advertising outside of designated areas is not allowed on the Second Life Forums. This includes, but is not limited to, advertising or promotion of specific Second Life merchants, Marketplace listings, products, services, Second Life regions, or in-world business. Do not reference other websites offering any product or service.

Note: It is OK to have a signature line with a link to your Second Life profile or information about your Second Life business."

Emphasis mine.  It's an explicit exception.

One that does not mention political information and so the exception doesn't apply to that though.

So, does that mean I can't advertise a public access park?

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I don't have any networked advertising any more, but yes according to the rules, advertising your store in your signature is networked advertising and against the rules.

Since when is networked advertising not allowed?  There's a whole list of rules for it one of which is no political advertising.

• Like 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:

So, does that mean I can't advertise a public access park?

You know how this works.  They are keen on the spirit of the rules being followed.  They don't explicitly cover everything, that's true.  That's so there is enough room for discretion.

So it seems likely to me a public park would probably be in the spirit of what is allowed but political advertising probably isn't.  I'm basing this on the fact that there has to be a policy at all about political advertising but not any I can find on public parks.

Anyway, it was having the exception at all that I'm surprised about and wondered why was that considered a good thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 251 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.