Weird Friend Requests

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately, I've been receiving a lot of friend requests. For example, I'll be on my land, and no one is there (I've checked the mini-map, for example), so it's not like they have seen my avatar around. It seems as though it has come out of the blue. One just sent me a friend request with accept or decline. Another asked if I was busy. It feels odd and off. Is this a scam, or what? 

3 hours ago, ColeLaScotta said:

Lately, I've been receiving a lot of friend requests. For example, I'll be on my land, and no one is there (I've checked the mini-map, for example), so it's not like they have seen my avatar around. It seems as though it has come out of the blue. One just sent me a friend request with accept or decline. Another asked if I was busy. It feels odd and off. Is this a scam, or what? 

More than likely from group members.

I do notice quite a lot of people just saying hi in bars etc and immediately offering a friend request though...

Can't really see how it could be a scam, not sure what it would offer a scammer really.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

I get a lot of these, but from people on the radar, I think because I live near an info hub and people there see me nearby. Some of them are new people (who are always able to work out how to send a friend request, but never able to work out how to IM and say hi first), but some are long-term residents who really should know better. As for it being a scam, well I have never accepted or responded to the requests to find out but I assume that as these people are actually always men, they are probably wanting to hit me up for sex.

• Like 4

It's usually a Group thing. I don't get many, but what I do get is when group chat is running, it often generates an IM from someone who is either chatting in group or watching the group.

The other hunting ground is big stores such as Maitreya and Lelutka, and shopping events, which sometimes result in a friend request, IM or request for money from a stranger.

On 8/20/2023 at 12:51 PM, ColeLaScotta said:

Not really a scam, just sad basement-dwelling incels trawling group membership lists looking for female avatars and hoping that the users behind them are also female.

You know, the sort that refuse to actually pay for a RL dating app.

7 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

So... is there another kind?

Not really. I friend everyone that sends a request. Half the time they never even IM me, and I unfriend them after a few weeks.

If they do actually IM wanting to play, its fun to string them along for a while. 😂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.