Should I put my real-life gender in my woman avatars' profiles?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

Its possible to get close to someone in sl even though you both have no desire or intention to take it to real life. In that case the rl gender of either party is unimportant

It's unimportant to you.  Others, feel differently and have that right.  I prefer to engage with male avatars that have a male in RL running them.  Will I ever know for sure?  No, but I'm still allowed to have that preference

• Like 4

On 8/19/2023 at 11:31 AM, Maitimo said:

I've tried it both ways and honestly? I didn't notice any difference.

Except that if I include it, and I get unwanted sexual attention, I can say "psst, you may want to read my profile before taking this conversation any further".

It's a convenient way of filtering out the sort of people I probably wouldn't want to talk to anyway.

I've used the "You have my my profile, right?" line almost since i landed in SL. I find it funny how fast many men back off, and how they do it; e.g., sudden silence, a polite "No thank you", a rude reply, TPing away, being blocked, being told off ... the whole gamut.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I've used the "You have my my profile, right?" line almost since i landed in SL. I find it funny how fast many men back off, and how they do it; e.g., sudden silence, a polite "No thank you", a rude reply, TPing away, being blocked, being told off ... the whole gamut.

I'm curious why you find that funny. You seem to be offended every time you post that men back off when they find out you are a male and not a female.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are just some people *quite a lot actually* that don't see gender/sex as something that shouldn't matter to people.  The fact that you put it in your profile makes it even less surprising.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

whats wrong with my avi? I have the maitreya body, and usually wear mesh hair.

I admit my head is still system, but its the face shape I was born with.

I do not like mesh heads in the slightest, they still all seem to look similar.

I suppose  if i could edit a mesh head to exactly match my shape now, i’d consider trying one.

Besides all the best avatars are the mesh body / system head combination.

And yes i know, thats just my opinion, it doesnt make it right 😂

Try the Freya head from Catwa.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Try the Freya head from Catwa.  

Slight detour I know, but despite wearing that one for ages and loving it, I wouldn't recommend Freya these days. It was never updated to HDPro and the old HUD was the biggest hot mess to navigate. It's just very cluttered. Otherwise, I'd still be wearing it! The head itself is so versatile. Same situation with Jade, unfortunately (which was my first mesh head and still one of my faves).

The Queen head is what I upgraded to since. HDPro, so it's got the clean HUD and updated features. Some of the newer releases are really pretty, too, and can get pretty far from the default shapes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Slight detour I know, but despite wearing that one for ages and loving it, I wouldn't recommend Freya these days. It was never updated to HDPro and the old HUD was the biggest hot mess to navigate. It's just very cluttered. Otherwise, I'd still be wearing it! The head itself is so versatile. Same situation with Jade, unfortunately (which was my first mesh head and still one of my faves).

The Queen head is what I upgraded to since. HDPro, so it's got the clean HUD and updated features. Some of the newer releases are really pretty, too, and can get pretty far from the default shapes.

I only suggested Freya since I knew it was used for more masculine looks.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:
5 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'm curious why you find that funny. You seem to be offended every time you post that men back off when they find out you are a male and not a female.  Why is it so hard for you to understand that there are just some people *quite a lot actually* that don't see gender/sex as something that shouldn't matter to people.  The fact that you put it in your profile makes it even less surprising.

Hmm...well I could understand some of the responses Katherine receives (like silence, or a polite "no thank you"), but there's no need for someone to respond rudely, or TP away without saying anything, or block her, or "tell her off", and more types of rude behavior.......is there?   Especially since she clearly states her gender in her profile, and so no deception is involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Hmm...well I could understand some of the responses Katherine receives (like silence, or a polite "no thank you"), but there's no need for someone to respond rudely, or TP away without saying anything, or block her, or "tell her off", and more types of rude behavior.......is there?   Especially since she clearly states her gender in her profile, and so no deception is involved.

The guy found himself attracted to a female avi that was a male in rl. That is more than enough to set them off, because by a guy having a female avatar, the guy feel deceived.

If guys like this had their way, everyone would be made to have an avatar that was the same as their rl gender.

And while they are at it, avis should be the same age, same weight, same disabilities as in rl, because re: weight, lots of guys don't like fat chicks, so if you are skinny in here, and fat in rl, that is deception also in their minds.

😁

Edited by BilliJo Aldrin
changed a word
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

agree,

transgender soul is never canbe same with real female soul

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
22 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

The guy found himself attracted to a female avi that was a male in rl. That is more than enough to set them off, because by a guy having a female avatar, the guy feel deceived.

If guys like this had their way, everyone would be made to have an avatar that was the same as their rl gender.

And while they are at it, avis should be the same age, same weight, same disabilities as in rl, because re: weight, lots of guys don't like fat chicks, so if you are skinny in here, and fat in rl, that is deception also in their minds.

😁

I think if you'd ask these guys they'd admit it's likely most in 2nd life don't look exactly like their avatar, and that's okay with them. Usually they don't ask a potential partner's weight or age, or if there's any disability.  But gender preference is super important and a deal-breaker.

So your theory that they want someone in 1st & 2nd lives to be exactly the same can't be the reason for what actually amounts to this gender paranoia.

4 minutes ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

😁

i just not understand why some guys can attracte to avatar , pixel.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I think if you'd ask these guys they'd admit it's likely most in 2nd life don't look exactly like their avatar, and that's okay with them. Usually they don't ask a potential partner's weight or age, or if there's any disability.  But gender preference is super important and a deal-breaker.

So your theory that they want someone in 1st & 2nd lives to be exactly the same can't be the reason for what actually amounts to this gender paranoia.

Straight guys just don't want to think that they are getting it on with another guy. Its not gender paranoia, they just don't want to do it with another guy.

And if the avi is female, the person at the keyboard better darn well be female too, or in their minds its totally gross.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Straight guys just don't want to think that they are getting it on with another guy. Its not gender paranoia, they just don't want to do it with another guy.

And if the avi is female, the person at the keyboard better darn well be female too, or in their minds its totally gross.

Sure, I totally believe straight guys don't want to relate sexually to other men. Why don't they just politely decline, or even just leave?  Instead, Katherine is reporting super amounts of hostility:

They block her, "tell her off", and more.  This indicates more than a simple preference where the holder of said preference would simply decline and move on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Men dislike being deceived by another man even more so than being deceived by a woman, IMO.  Not saying Kat is deceiving anyone intentionally but we all know.people don't always read profiles.

They do murder trans women at higher rates than trans men, so this leads me to believe your theory has some merit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sure, I totally believe straight guys don't want to relate sexually to other men. Why don't they just politely decline, or even just leave?  Instead, Katherine is reporting super amounts of hostility:

They block her, "tell her off", and more.  This indicates more than a simple preference where the holder of said preference would simply decline and move on.

Because they are enraged, thats why.

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Because they are enraged, thats why.

Sure, they're enraged. But would they be so enraged if they found out their 2nd life potential partner was fat, old, or had a disability?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Sure, they're enraged. But would they be so enraged if they found out their 2nd life potential partner was fat, old, or had a disability?

You are assuming that people find fat, old or people with a disability unattractive or undesirable.  That says a lot right there.

I wouldn't find that enraging.  

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

They do murder trans women at higher rates than trans men, so this leads me to believe your theory has some merit.

Got any actual stats on that, or is it just anecdotal.

People considering transitioning should be told that their dating pool will drop to close to zero post op.

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I believe they would if they thought the person they fell for was young, fit and attractive.

It happens all over the internet, not just in second life.

I believe its called catfishing 😂

• Like 1

Just now, BilliJo Aldrin said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Got any actual stats on that, or is it just anecdotal.

People considering transitioning should be told that their dating pool will drop to close to zero post op.

Easy to research. I'm a Psych/Social Work major.

Are you saying you don't even believe transgender individuals are murdered?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.