LaraX?

Rowan Amore

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Well, I got the body, and zero clothes for it. There are very few clothes on the marketplace. What am I to do with this, wait a year until at least the basics are available? :P

I don't know why it's so difficult for SL body creators to ensure widespread support on launch day. That's what everyone else in every field does, or they fail.

Just wait until December, when all the Advent, Christmas and Shop and Hop gifts will come out.

• Like 4

I'm pleased with LaraX thus far. I don't tend to wear a lot of skimpy clothing, so I just left on the outfit I had on from over the weekend (Ison's FLF sweater and boots and a Neve skirt).  Yes, it required having to manually alpha some of the body, but that's no big deal. 

I don't feel like I need to change my shape at all. I'm fine with slightly rounder proportions.  Using my existing shape with X did not result in anything near Reborn's butt and boobs, so I do not need a deformer. 

larax_001.png

• Like 4

I have one alt who has Maitreya Lara 4.1, and I neglected to update her to 5.3, so I will just have to be patient and wait until the Maitreya store is less busy, so I can pay a visit and slap the redelivery panel in-store. (My other alts have Lara 5.3, so I was able to update them using the Redelivery button under the Misc tab on the 5.3 HUD.)

Here's what I think is going to happen with respect to Lara versus LaraX:

We are probably going to be going back and forth between Lara 5.3 and LaraX for 2-3 years. People aren't going to throw out all their old outfits, and I doubt that many creators will choose to go back and re-rig apparel for LaraX. Like Salt & Pepper has already announced, what will likely happen for most vendors will have a cut-off for Lara, probably as of right now, and from this time forward, everything will be for LaraX only. I cannot see vendors rigging for both bodies, especially when they're also rigging for Legacy, Reborn, Kupra, etc. etc. What I don't know is how many creators will bend to pressure to rig for both Lara and LaraX.

However, the silver lining will be that a large amount of Lara 5.3 clothing will eventually land up in the freebie/cheapie bin, which is great news for all the female alts I have that use the Lucybody Atenea body, which is Maitreya Lara 5.3-compatible! (Except for the feet, which are Slink-compatible. However, if you get the latest version of Atenea from the store (30?, I think), there is a new button which has Maitreya Lara-compatible high-heeled feet!)

I really do not expect that there will be many sales or bargains in LaraX apparel. Vendors are probably going to want to take advantage of Second Life fashionistas' natural desire to buy outfits to fit the new LaraX body. Some will no doubt choose to stay with Lara 5.3, but they will face a dwindling supply of clothing (much like what is already happening with Belleza Freya and other discontinued bodies).

Anyway, my $0.02 (Canadian).

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 4

Also, here is the notecard Kiddo Oh of Dead Doll has posted to her store group:

---

I have been asked questions about DEAD DOLL support to Lara X/Lara 5.3 a lot lately, I will try to reply to all of them here:

❤ Will new releases for Lara X fit my old Lara 5.3 body?

For the most part they will not. The body has been reshaped, mostly in the torso/arms area.
Since feet were not subject to alterations you will probably be able to wear footwear created for Lara 5.3 with Lara X.

❤Will old releases for Lara 5.3 be updated to Lara X?

There will NOT be a systematic update of old products created for Lara 5.3 to Lara X.
Unfortunately I can not afford to add more working hours to my current schedule, with 8 years of past creations to update I am unable to commit my efforts for the enhancement of old products.
I might sporadically update older products, there is not a schedule or a list of products, the updates will happen at my discretion.

❤ Will the updates be available free of charge?

This will be decided on a case by case basis. The criteria will range from the amount of time required for the update to eventual improvement/enhancement of other aspect of the mesh such as UV mapping, retopology, retexturing.

❤ Will DEAD DOLL keep supporting Lara 5.3?

Moving forward all DEAD DOLL releases will ONLY fit Maitreya LaraX and PetiteX.
I understand that this adjustments may impact Maitreya Lara 5.3 users. However, this decision allows me to allocate more resources to innovate and improve my work so forward is the direction I'm going.

❤ Will old Lara 5.3 Exclusive releases be retired?

They will be eventually retired. Although there is not a plan or official schedule yet I will slowly be removing those products from my store.
This is mostly due to the fact that often people refuses to try out demos, read/understand informative notes or item descriptions especially on the Marketplace while they are very inclined to leave bad reviews that are hard to get removed.

FOR YOUR OWN SAKE PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO TAGS, TRY DEMOS AND READ DESCRIPTION PRIOR TO FINALIZE YOUR PURCHASES.

In order to safeguard my own mental health, i will not reply to questions asking if a specific product will be updated/re-released.

Thank you for understanding.

Love,
Kiddo Oh
DEAD DOLL

-----

I do expect many creators will do something similar to this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

For us newbies, should we go directly to LaraX?

Or, given initial differences in rigging, use Lara, then wait and use LaraX for clothes designed specifically for LaraX?

Depends on how much Lara Classic clothing you have, whether you can make what you have work with system and alpha layers, and how much you want to buy new clothing. 

I'm not buying anything now, so I'll see what I can do with Lara X, but my Lara Classic girls will mostly be wearing that body until I can get them a bunch of gift Lara X clothing.

I don't create separate folders for different sizes, btw. I just add size  notes to the titles of my clothing folders. Lara Classic = M *. I haven't decided yet if Lara X will be LX. If the folder has both, it might say M LX * or LX M *. 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here is what Blueberry has posted to their store group re: LaraX:

-----

Berries!

LaraX has hit the grid, and everyone has questions. While we cannot answer body questions, there are a few we CAN answer.

We will be creating for LaraX, which is the good news! We will still be creating for Lara 5.3, at least for the foreseeable future. We will only be updating some of our older items as it would keep us from doing anything else, but we may be updating favorites. ❤️

Please note the Blueberry team will not have answers on when or what we will be updating; please lets not swarm the chat with questions on updates. We are SUPER excited about LaraX, too and will do our best to continue to make our berries as happy as possible.  

As far as customer support questions for the new bodies please contact Maitreya CSR: Gryphon Ronas for all LaraX questions or join the Maitreya Discord - https://discord.com/invite/tNss4XD

If you are looking for information on LaraX -  https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/lara-mesh-body-v5.html

If you already own the body, you can receive your updated bodies in the Maitreya store, redelivery terminal.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya Isle/129/130/23

Thank you for understanding and being patient with us!

We LOVE YOU and the new Maitreya body ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't see myself switching to LaraX at this point.  Maybe in a few years?  I am very happy to see that the issue I had with the shoulder blades has been addressed.  

Lara 5.3...

5.3.png.8772de5b677d21c97657795d2ed17e44.png

LaraX...

X.png.235954753367ce4323dd66d7fb704c0b.png

Omg this is so promising. I deform (narrow) the shoulders quite a lot on 5.3 and yeah, the above issue is basically unavoidable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vanity Fair said:

And here is what Blueberry has posted to their store group re: LaraX:

-----

Berries!

LaraX has hit the grid, and everyone has questions. While we cannot answer body questions, there are a few we CAN answer.

We will be creating for LaraX, which is the good news! We will still be creating for Lara 5.3, at least for the foreseeable future. We will only be updating some of our older items as it would keep us from doing anything else, but we may be updating favorites. ❤️

Please note the Blueberry team will not have answers on when or what we will be updating; please lets not swarm the chat with questions on updates. We are SUPER excited about LaraX, too and will do our best to continue to make our berries as happy as possible.  

As far as customer support questions for the new bodies please contact Maitreya CSR: Gryphon Ronas for all LaraX questions or join the Maitreya Discord - https://discord.com/invite/tNss4XD

If you are looking for information on LaraX -  https://sl-maitreya.blogspot.com/p/lara-mesh-body-v5.html

If you already own the body, you can receive your updated bodies in the Maitreya store, redelivery terminal.
http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Maitreya Isle/129/130/23

Thank you for understanding and being patient with us!

We LOVE YOU and the new Maitreya body ❤️

Blueberry plans to support both versions as much as possible and will update a few older releases? What a champ! 

I fully expect some of the larger creators to move exclusively to X, which I'm totally fine with. I do suspect I'll be swapping bodies quite a lot, though, as some of my better pieces and body mods are made by smaller, niche creators who barely adopted new (post-Legacy) bodies at all. I'm fine with that honestly, as I can just create outfits - except I do need to remember to include what body it's for in the title, otherwise I'm going to confuse myself into oblivion. 😂

That'll likely be the most annoying part of all this - remaking/renaming ALL of my outfits - and creating tons more.

• Like 5

I still don't understand how to remove the built in auto hides from clothing (that whole /95 trick does not seem to do anything), and would be happy to do that and simply alpha out on the Maitreya HUD where needed to wear my current wardrobe and LX.

Until I sort that out I'll tweak LX into the shape I want (including a LXPetite shape as well) and stick with 5.3 and buy my fave clothes as they become available, making the switch to LX full time when there are enough clothes.

Very happy that the new LX is easier for clothing folks to rig for. Now get making clothes!!!!!

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Well, I got the body, and zero clothes for it. There are very few clothes on the marketplace. What am I to do with this, wait a year until at least the basics are available? :P

I don't know why it's so difficult for SL body creators to ensure widespread support on launch day. That's what everyone else in every field does, or they fail.

So, you want clothing makers to try to sell clothes for a body that doesn't exist yet? There are probably plenty of things that are  ready to be released now that the body's in the wild.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I DID warn people, oh about 25 or so pages ago. Nobody listened.

It's a second rate clone of the FailX Classic, which was a second rate clone of Real-Lara with skinny arms and legs, and a bigger ass. Again, I think I mentioned this about 25 or so pages back. Nobody listened.

*cough* 25 or so pages back, nobody listened.

Has to be said.

"I told you so!"

Just like nobody listened to that lady who told us BOM would be a complete failure and it would be years and an extra L$3000 before any body makers adopted it. 

Try to find a new skin that doesn't use EVO-X mapping. They've been scarce for a while. Lelutka introduced EVO-X in March, 2021. I literally have food in the back of my kitchen cabinets that has been around longer.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

So, you want clothing makers to try to sell clothes for a body that doesn't exist yet? There are probably plenty of things that are  ready to be released now that the body's in the wild.

Specifically I want Maitreya to pay creators to have a small catalog ready for launch, like Legacy did. That's probably the only reason Legacy took off at all. A "naked launch" is not great.

Edited by Cinos Field
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

There undoubtedly is, there has been stuff on the Marketplace for a few weeks now as well as one major release at an event of a LaraX outfit since the dev kit has been distributed amongst creators for a little while.

I'm positive basically everyone will have a flurry of stuff come out for LaraX in the coming days/weeks. Everyone wants to cash in on the demand so the clothes will be coming en masse, it's easy money.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

Specifically I want Maitreya to pay creators to have a small catalog ready for launch, like Legacy did. That's probably the only reason Legacy took off at all. A "naked launch" is not great.

Legacy was a new body; LaraX is a free update to a well-supported body a tremendous number of people already have. And if you remember, Legacy was yammering about their "deformers" that would supposedly allow you to use older clothes when it was launched. Meanwhile, it's been less than 24 hours since LaraX has been available.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Blueberry plans to support both versions as much as possible and will update a few older releases? What a champ! 

I'm waiting to see if she updates but you can only get the update with one of the weekend sales and not anything else.  I picked up a few items on the sales that were updated to include Reborn but she never went and updated the original.  I have several fatpacks of items like that.  I can only wear the small pack from the sale.  Really?  How hard is it, since you've already rigged the sale item for Reborn, to go back and update the original?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm waiting to see if she updates but you can only get the update with one of the weekend sales and not anything else.  I picked up a few items on the sales that were updated to include Reborn but she never went and updated the original.  I have several fatpacks of items like that.  I can only wear the small pack from the sale.  Really?  How hard is it, since you've already rigged the sale item for Reborn, to go back and update the original?

That's a good point, but honestly, I'm pretty much in the "only spend free store credit" stage of my Blueberry shopping (same goes for similar/big stores). If something hits FLF or Happy Weekend and costs under 75L, I might go ahead and snag it for the LaraX update, but for everything else, I'm just spending the free money they throw at me. 😄

If I have jeans only rigged for 5.3 and it'd cost 250L to update them to LaraX, I'll just rock 5.3 unless I've got store credit burning a hole in my pocket or something. If they get a minipack of colors/patterns I don't have in LaraX for 50L, I'll grab that. I'm too cheap to rebuy all my old stuff and would rather just toss on the old body and spend that money elsewhere.

• Like 6

Maybe I change my opinion in some months, but right now I hope that many creators keep on producing for the 5.3 so that us folks who don't want to switch bodies still have options. 

Especially those who are on the slim side, as I am 😊 

It was hard enough to be forced to wear EvoX (or at least in 90% of cases) and, eventually, switch completely.

Maybe easy as a human, but difficult for those of us who are something else.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Legacy was a new body; LaraX is a free update to a well-supported body a tremendous number of people already have. And if you remember, Legacy was yammering about their "deformers" that would supposedly allow you to use older clothes when it was launched. Meanwhile, it's been less than 24 hours since LaraX has been available.

I think there is a kind of deformer in the extra unpacker, called Bom Add-on Parts.

14 minutes ago, Dorientje Woller said:

I think there is a kind of deformer in the extra unpacker, called Bom Add-on Parts.

It's not a deformer. It is used when you want to wear BOM clothing and want to smooth over those areas that form too closely to crevices in the skin, or when wearing BOM socks or stockings and want to cover your toes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2