Have the forums changed?

cirleen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

But that is not what has changed on this forum, I don't think anyway.  I have seen some threads that do have that weird ranking system, where the highest ranked post is placed at the top, it ruins the entire flow of the thread for me though..  thankfully, it is not the default, hopefully it never becomes so.

On those threads look for this under the OP.

image.png.a09439988356018c1d01e6e69bbe0d4b.png

Change it to sort by date.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, I especially don't want to hear about certain issues like "politics" here! 

(Or, "our country is better than yours", etc.)

I'm in a few Twitch channels where politics discussion is banned and we agree 150% to just focus on gaming and industry news. Those are nice.

I'm also in Twitch channels where politics is the only thing we discuss and gaming takes a backseat.

It's a delicate balance and where I spend more time depends on my mood. But yeah, the forums here are a nice neutral ground where I can just get away from everything else when I want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Teen Grid merged with the main grid. It turned out to be a pretty seemless merge for the most part, though.

I'm sure it was a lot messier than we know, and continues to be. There's no way to know who's a minor in sl and I bet they're exposed to allll kinds of adult content. Ultimately it's up to parents to police kids online though and hopefully most parents know SL is def not a place for kids. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It turned out to be a pretty seemless merge for the most part, though

Those regions were in shambles. The amount of raw plywood everywhere was insane. Not just in the sky but at ground level also.

17 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

There's no way to know who's a minor in sl 

I knew someone who claimed to be a minor when I met him. He was one of the most mature people I have met here, if he hadn't told me he was 17 I would have guessed he was in his 40s at least.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I'm sure it was a lot messier than we know, and continues to be. There's no way to know who's a minor in sl and I bet they're exposed to allll kinds of adult content. Ultimately it's up to parents to police kids online though and hopefully most parents know SL is def not a place for kids. 

I wasn't around for the Teen Grid days, how was access to it restricted to under 18s though? from what I've read I assume they were checking IDs or something... or maybe they didn't which is why it ended?

1 hour ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

I wasn't around for the Teen Grid days, how was access to it restricted to under 18s though? from what I've read I assume they were checking IDs or something... or maybe they didn't which is why it ended?

I'm sure it was based on some sort of proof and ID. I think it ended because it took up resources and because they couldn't be bothered anymore. They had a few dedicated lindens there watching them. (Blue Linden was one of them i think). And when you turned 18 you'd "graduate" to the main grid. LL was more involved in the sl community back then. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

New users got shuffled to the teen grid if they claimed to be under 18 when they registered. When they turned 18 (according to the age they claimed), they found their avatar rezzing on the main grid instead. There were organizations that ran some programs for minors there too, and they were allowed to have adult mentors. Other adult users were not supposed to be on the Teen Grid, but since there was no way to verify a person's age, there were those who pretended to be teens, often for nefarious reasons.

People on the Teen Grid didn't have access to stores on the regular grid or to most of Marketplace, but there were creative and talented teens who sold items there. Some were skins that replaced the default G-rated skins. Some were copy-botted items from the regular grid. Overall the Teen Grid was more social than the regular grid, but users there didn't spend as much money as Adult users did.

I think complaints of copy-botting, adults pretending to be teens, and the Teen Grid not drawing in as much money as the regular grid all lead to LL deciding to merge it with the regular grid. Then SL officially became 16+, though there were still restricted regions where 13+ programs with adult mentors could exist. Do these still exist now? I don't know.

Bringing this back to a discussion of the forums, there was at least one Teen Grid creator who posted on the forums about his experiences when the grids merged.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

If your age on sign up put you between 13-17 you were sent to Teen Grid from what I heard back in the active days it was rife with copybotted content from the adult grid. For people that weren't around/young enough there are still remnants of Teen Grid on the main grid, such as the “Teen Grid transfer station” in the Sea of Fables on Sansara where people landed when they turned 18 and the Sharp continent (not connected to the rest of mainland) the old Teen Grid mainland it's entirely PG rated and a partial copy of some of the Sansar snow lands, Bay City where the tram runs, Morris info hub one of the regions is Card, the anwr oil rig, Chalet Linden 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BillFletcher said:

Oh I had been here long ago in another life, I had just stumbled onto it and had no idea how to find it again because I didn't know what it was called, Now I can go back.

I couldn't find the one I remembered from Sharp I thought it was somewhere around Bleu must have disappeared. The other one is in ANWR one of the strip of regions that connect Sansara and Nautilus 

• Like 2

On 8/1/2023 at 6:27 AM, BillFletcher said:

I knew someone who claimed to be a minor when I met him. He was one of the most mature people I have met here, if he hadn't told me he was 17 I would have guessed he was in his 40s at least.

On techie forums, some of the most knowledgable and level-headed people often turn out to be 12 years old. I got my start in remote Linux server administration following the advice of a 14-year-old who had 6 years experience already.

My first hosting account was a favor from a friend. Said friend ran one of the most popular imageboard sites of the mid-to-late 2000's, and was 15 when I met him. He knew how to lead a team of people based on their individual personality strengths and weaknesses. I found that admirable.

Then I look at the SL forums, and all of the grownups acting like it's the 4th grade, and I just LOL.

Nothing has changed. Nothing at all.

XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

Then I look at the SL forums, and all of the grownups acting like it's the 4th grade, and I just LOL.

Nothing has changed. Nothing at all.

XD

Good. You won't see a change either in regards to politics.

We loose braincells over the years. We don't gain them .. It's obvious everywhere.

You will join us .. :P

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

We loose braincells over the years. We don't gain them .. It's obvious everywhere.

*eats more brains*

*hopes it works*

^-^;

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ted McGregor said:

I leave mine in RL. Nobody here would believe me because I'm probably the biggest eejit in the forums, but I have over 200 employees relying on me in RL. I come to SL to be silly and free 😅

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:
3 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I'm probably the biggest eejit in the forums, ....

So much contenders for that title in these forums, making that probability most likely score very low ... :P

I didn't know it's a contest! What's the prize?

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't know.  Doesn't seem like a contest either .. seems more like a perpetual race where people are trying to laugh at the runner up behind them until they collect a lamppost ... :|

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ted McGregor said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I don't know.  Doesn't seem like a contest either .. seems more like a perpetual race where people are trying to laugh at the runner up behind them until they collect a lamppost ... :|

I thought, maybe if it's a "b00by prize"..everyone seems to love b00bies these days..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.