Alts in the forums

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, xDancingStarx said:

I don't see anything wrong about using alts to post on the forums.

Well, weird things can happen.

Once I had a major argument with someone and then suddenly there was this fairly new member of the forum with few posts, being 'confused' about many of my posts and giving what is known as the 'scorn laugh' on others.  I was not making jokes at the time.

So technically, sure, there's nothing wrong with using alts on a forum, but some do so out of spite and to harass. I would call that "wrong".

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

But I know of several people who have alts that they certainly have used in the past for inflating the "likes" on their own posts. As one of our teachers used to say at school, the only person they're fooling is themself. The likes aren't genuine, and that's rather sad. 

or potentially inflating the dislikes or derision of the posts of others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In case you didn't know, "alts in the forum" who don't identify themselves, are often referred to as "Sock Puppets".

I didn't know that. But I also don't know how anybody can tell who is or is not an alt. I have two alts, one female and one male. I created the female so I could do landscaping, etc., without constant interruptions. That didn't work as the alt didn't have the necessary inventory. Duh...  The male was created to test how people would react to me depending on my gender and appearance. That didn't work, either. Long story. Anyway, I bring out the alts when I am in the mood, but it's rare. And I never ever use them around people I know without making sure everybody knows it's me. Not really an issue as they can figure me out pretty quickly even if I look like a man. I'm just not good at pretending to be somebody else. Anyway, I am, as Cate, as close to the RL me as possible...though Cate looks way better and younger. If I post here or am chatting in SL, I am me...always. I assume,  because I don't give it much thought usually, that everybody who encounters me accepts me as "real"....and I do the same with others. I live in a bubble I guess. So, it always amazes me to discover that Sally is not really Sally but is Bill.....or that my new friend Margaret is actually the old friend Patty who left SL last year. In some cases, I can understand that sort of change or pretense. In other cases, I feel betrayed, pissed off, played for a fool, etc. I can accept Bill and understand his/her story. I can NOT accept being played...that person goes byebye from my life right away. As far as alts posing in this forum..so far, it's not an issue for me. If it turns out to be one in future, I will decide what to do...ignore or block or whatever. 

Edited by Cate Foulsbane
fixing typos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marigold Devin said:

used in the past for inflating the "likes" on their own posts

I just don't get this business of counting how many posts a person makes and I REALLY don't get how counting "likes" matters at all.  Is this middle school? Does anybody remember Slam Books? Gah! 

• Like 9

Just now, Cate Foulsbane said:

I just don't get this business of counting how many posts a person makes and I REALLY don't get how counting "likes" matters at all.  Is this middle school? Does anybody remember Slam Books? Gah! 

I gave you a "Like" even though I like to "Win the Day".

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

After the 3rd and sometimes 4th alt that uses the forums, I just find it amusing.  Heck, there might even be a 5th by now.   

Oh God you just reminded me that I promised my new alt that I made to check out the Welcome area money so she could buy some furniture.  No doubt she's sitting at her new home she shares with one of my other alts, sad and dejected.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

After the 3rd and sometimes 4th alt that uses the forums, I just find it amusing.  Heck, there might even be a 5th by now.   

You might be a little more perceptive about this than I am, as I don't detect this much. I do suspect a rather new poster here is a particular long-time poster tho.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cate Foulsbane said:

Strangely, in my entire 60 years of life, nothing has made me feel more like I've gone back to school than some of the people who reside in Second Life, on these forums particularly. The post counting and likes never mattered to me (as I've said before), and I equate it to what we had at my primary school, the "smarty top" chart. But, yes, to some people this really does seem to matter. 

And Linden Lab encourage it with ... let me find the link ...

https://community.secondlife.com/pastleaders/

What's more, I actively give out positive responses to posts I like, not so much for the accumulation of likes leading to a position on the daily/all-time leaderboard, but more to acknowledge I read, understood, and agree or like the post. 

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I gave you a "Like" even though I like to "Win the Day".

You SHOULD win the day, just for entertaining MEEEEE :D 

Goes to check .... YESSSSS you won it yesterday again (and I'm going off to sit in that corner over there and write out 100 lines)

Yes, this bloody place reminds me of school and I HATED school.

https://community.secondlife.com/leaderboard/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I know, and there's people who actually try to get their friends to side against certain people, go behind the scenes and form a kind of posse!

And there's suck-ups.

I tell ya, it can be a hellhole.  Good thing there's lots of jokes to make it bearable.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

You SHOULD win the day, just for entertaining MEEEEE :D 

Goes to check .... YESSSSS you won it yesterday again (and I'm going off to sit in that corner over there and write out 100 lines)

https://community.secondlife.com/leaderboard/

There must be a lag in the system updating profiles, it says in my profile I last won on 7/18.

Thanks for being a supporter!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In case you didn't know, "alts in the forum" who don't identify themselves, are often referred to as "Sock Puppets".

Technically, it's only sock puppeting if they are bringing in an alt account to participate in an argument the main account is embroiled in.

• Like 6

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 415 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.