Parcel level bot detection

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That is a system message though, you can try to AR Governor Linden, but I doubt he will get prosecuted. If you get that message each time you pass it means you get added anew each time you approach,... and that their banlist most likely exceeds 300... this high turnover rate might impact the server.

You can and should however AR the popup SPAM with the media link.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aethelwine said:

Can your device also whitelist bots?

I rarely use security orbs but can see a reason to set up a skybox orb that excludes everyone except those I invite. Bots however are mostly harmless just recording my attachments or whatever, so I could happily whitelist them and let them go about their business unaffected.

No it doesn't, but I can add. I'll do it after I post this, and I'll post here when it's done.

ETA:

@Aethelwine It's done :)

Edited by Phil Deakins

I should add that the recently added AGENT_AUTOMATED option of llGetAgentList(), isn't 100%. It's used to detect scripted agents. We discussed it here and I submitted a jira about it, but an incompetent totally misunderstood it and closed the jira. I didn't bother after that.

This is why it's not 100%. I have an alt that is not registered as a scripted agent, but is still reported as one by that AGENT_AUTOMATED option. I worked out exactly where the fault was, and reported it in a jira. The Linden who looked at it thought I was talking about a fault with the account and suggested that I go elsewhere. He totally misunderstood it. The problem is that the flags bit that is used for scripted agents was already in use for something else. It was probably allocated so long ago that it was forgotten about, and may not have been used for a very long time. But it's still there - lurking lol.

Anyway, the AntiBot could produce a false positive once in a while. It does with my alt every time, and has done since the AGENT_AUTOMATED option came in not long ago.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

Well, I'm totally amazed at how many bots are going around. I have 2 AntiBots running (it's copyable), one for the parcel, and one for the whole sim just see what bots there are around. There are loads! Yesterday, in the space of a few hours, I logged a dozen or more and today it's the same. I'm amazed. One or two are bonnybots, as expected, but there are loads more. No wonder some people get fed up of them.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2023 at 5:00 AM, Eowyn Southmoor said:

If you don't click on the external link it supplies to confirm you aren't a bot, then you are automatically added to the ban list.

Perhaps this is the point where it reveals what object is presenting you with that link, in order to report it. (Later when it actually does the banning, yeah, that's a system message and there's no knowing who caused it.)

I'd be interested in trying to get banned for not following their "I am not a bot" captcha clicky thingy, if you can share a location.

On 8/17/2023 at 5:07 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Perhaps you've set yourself as a scripted agent for some reason and forgot about it.

My scripter alt got set to scripted agent in order to test out the AGENT_AUTOMATED flag of llGetAgentInfo() back when it was rolling out. Then I forgot all about that. Then I wanted to test something in Bellisseria and tried to TP him there. It took a support case to remind me (doh!) that the reason he kept getting denied access was because I'd labelled him a bot in the eyes of LSL—and Bellisseria.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who remembers a thread on this forum, where a certain individual compared the concurrency figures for a Tuesday afternoon Grid Roll (UK time) during a radagast outage with the figures for the busiest time of day on the busiest day of the week when radagast was working, to FRAUDULENTLY claim that there were OBVIOUSLY "MORE that 25,000 evil bots in SL".

Comparing the Tuesday Grid Roll figures with the previous and subsequent Tuesday Grid Roll figures however suggested the "bot viewer" outage had in fact only reduced concurrency by about 2, 500 NOT the FRAUDULENTLY claimed 25,000 plus.

I accept no unsubstantiated data from people trying to sell me a "cure" for the "problem" only they can see.

I never have problems with bots on my land.

11 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

My scripter alt got set to scripted agent in order to test out the AGENT_AUTOMATED flag of llGetAgentInfo() back when it was rolling out. Then I forgot all about that. Then I wanted to test something in Bellisseria and tried to TP him there. It took a support case to remind me (doh!) that the reason he kept getting denied access was because I'd labelled him a bot in the eyes of LSL—and Bellisseria.

I chuckled about the forgetfulness :)  but what was denying him access to Bellisseria? Your own script?

• Like 2

On 6/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

This is what I was thinking yesterday:

All LL would have needed to do is dedicate a bit to mean "Using 'unknown viewer' or API software" - and it would be up to anyone who cares to assume that means "Could be a Bot" ("unregistered" if the other bit isn't set).

Nope, LL detect what viewer you use by the CVIEWER reporting "I am Viewer X version Y"

All the bot viewers coders would need to do is program it to say "I is Firestorm version blah and deffo not a bot viewer honest Guv" and the "oh so certain" bot detector" falls on its face.

16 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I accept no unsubstantiated data from people trying to sell me a "cure" for the "problem" only they can see.

That quote and more in your previous post seems to show that you don't know what this is about. You seem to think that I'm selling something, but I'm not, as reading the posts would have shown you. If you're not aiming your barbs my way, then I'm mistaken. But, if you are, please get your facts straight ;)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I chuckled about the forgetfulness :)  but what was denying him access to Bellisseria? Your own script?

The Bellicosia Estate has the "no scripted agent flagged accounts allowed" flag set, as per the last tin-foil-hat club multi thread "bots are datascraping my ass" paranoia forum festival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Doesn't matter if you charge money for the orb or give it away on a street corner in Kama City by throwing it at passers by.

You are trying to SELL me on the idea that SL is infested with a vast army of bots, more than half the concurrency figures, and that this 25,000 plus bot army needs to be dealt with, when in reality the 2,500 or so bots are a MINOR niggle for SOME people.

Since one cannot detect "bots" via LSL anyway, only pick out accounts that actually have the voluntary set "scripted agent" flag, which as Qie's tale-of-alt-woe shows, doesn't mean the account is a "bot", and which won't be set on unregistered "bots" anyway, the whole idea of people NEEDING a "bot" detector that basically does not work, is a NON-Solution to a NON-Problem.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The Bellicosia Estate has the "no scripted agent flagged accounts allowed" flag set, as per the last tin-foil-hat club multi thread "bots are datascraping my ass" paranoia forum festival.

Much to the dismay of people who might want to rent bots for whatever reason. A friend of mine offers a pony party service, basically you can rent a bunch of Shetland pony avatar bots with party hats to brighten up virtual child birthdays...

But if said child is unlucky enough to live in the wrong side of town (e.g. Belli) it will now be "Bad Kiddo, No Pony!"

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I thought that was set at the estate level, but wait, all of Belli is "one estate". * kicks brain cell *

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Much to the dismay of people who might want to rent bots for whatever reason. A friend of mine offers a pony party service, basically you can rent a bunch of Shetland pony avatar bots with party hats to brighten up a virtual child birthdays...

But if said child is unlucky enough to live in the wrong side of town (e.g. Belli) it will now be "Bad Kiddo, No Pony!"

Idea: all prim babies should / must be set as "scripted agents"!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 258 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.