Alternatives to the Staus Quo

blissfulbreeze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, the SL market is getting more and more geared towards those  under 35, even under 30. For the ones who do not wish to wear barely there clothes, go to "pick up" clubs, etc.. I'd like to see some recommendations of clothing stores, clubs, communities and such for those who wish to look like a mature adult and act like one. Of course that is subjective lol.. but you know what I am talking about.

I'd like to recommend the Destination Guide, yes, most of us already know about it, but we forget about it! So, just bringing it to the forefront of our minds. Lately, I have been exploring sims from there and love it. You can see the rating right at your fingertips and a snapshot of a sim, with some details. https://secondlife.com/destinations

For clothing, I do feel that Coco has some mature women clothing. I know there are more but my brain is foggy at the moment. Help!

Clubs and sims for mature adults, (without sexual themes)...Fogbound Blues.. tell me more, please!

Communities: Help!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Clothing recommendations: Ison (my personal fave), Neve (some skimpy stuff but also a good selection of sportswear),  Just Because, Tetra, Purple Moon,  Tres Blah, Valentina E. (if you like darker jewel tones), Fashionably Dead, Baby Monkey, Siss Boom, 

I don't go to many clubs. One I do go to Blackhearts.

• Like 7

More mature clothing: Thalia Hackworth (once a while they are in the weekend sales), ISON, Amias for casual wear, KC Couture for shoes (fatpacks in weekend sales which have many colors). 

Also, I find that certain times of year more skimpy clothing is prominent as far as what is for sale at the events. And late spring/early summer in the northern hemisphere seems to be the peak of it.

I seldom buy anything on the skimpy side. Short skirts, yes, but they'd better cover the behind and usually I wear BOM underwear with them. Showing cleavage, yes, but exposing stuff - no.

Edited by Trinity Blakewell
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

Clothing recommendations: Ison (my personal fave), Neve (some skimpy stuff but also a good selection of sportswear),  Just Because, Tetra, Purple Moon,  Tres Blah, Valentina E. (if you like darker jewel tones), Fashionably Dead, Baby Monkey, Siss Boom,

This covers a lot of my faves as well ... I'll add Hilly Haalan, Amias, 1313 Mockingbird, and COCO as well. Mimikri has some fashionably cool stuff for a more mature look among their model-centric (and very mod) fashion designs as well.

• Like 5

Events are good for finding new up and coming creators, but avoid the ones that don't have an inworld store or Market place.. Those are pretty much fly by night stores that only have a booth at the events, then gone  until the next one or gone for good.. Have fun getting a redeliver or customer service with a fly by night that has no other presence in SL than a booth at an event..

For finding what I really want in SL, I use a lot of ground work finding items, building a nice Landmark collection over time of good creators..

These are just a few that might have a lot of items, where some may just have a few nice pieces or just a piece or two that I really liked..

You may have already heard of  them or some of them.. I have a bunch more, but not really a lot of time this morning to get to a lot of them, but these have some nice things   or a thing I liked in their stores..

Erratic: Slurl-->  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/LE LOOK/175/128/15

Tetra: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/TETRA Store/176/114/40

SEVEN: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Blue Nile/51/241/22

Paper Arrow: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/floorplan/57/184/27

JUSTICE : Justice is across the way from Underground..Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/UNDERGROUND/129/152/27

VALE KOER: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/KOREA/118/127/2001

Freda: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Knieff/56/99/188

ELIKATIRA: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/White River Farm/143/179/23

Friday: Slurl--> http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/White River Farm/182/135/23

Edited by Ceka Cianci
Had to change a land mark because the location had moved.
  • Like 5

I find that most of the stores I wind up in *don't* cater to that aesthetic whatsoever. I'm not entirely sure what kind of clothing styles you're after, though. I could drop a zillion suggestions, but I'm not sure what counts as mature womens clothes. I primarily shop for alternative and futuristic type vibes (Rick Owens, Gareth Pugh, etc.), so I assume probably not that. Full coverage is rather easy to find in those styles, though, so there's that.

Some stores with interesting selections that don't veer *too* far into the avant-garde in case that's not what you're after - Vulnus, Meva, Bauhaus, Rowne, Ascend, Tori Torricelli, Roslyn. 

Can't help on the club side. Every time I tried checking one out in recent history, it bored me to tears. Perhaps event gatherings/parties might be a bit better. Fantasy Faire's ball was lovely with lots of friendly people (and everyone's outfits and costumes slaaaaaaayed). Venues with live performers are a bit more entertaining than standard clubs, too.

Communities - I'm only involved in the fantasy community. Not sure if that's your thing, but the people are pretty wonderful.

• Like 7

Some good stuff dropped here!

I would like to mention Belle Epoque and Neve for clothing. Tetra recently put out a bomber style jacket I just love! =D

Also, if you fancy vintage clothing, you can't go wrong with By Swirly.

For "clubs" ... well, if you fancy classical, consider Blue Lagoon. They have things there on Tuesday and Friday afternoons/evenings, 2:30 - 5 PM SLT.

• Like 2

Justice is doing some updates now, adding new bodies (and considering GenX Classic, which is my current favorite *undersupported* body) as well as changing permissions of clothes to have them be *mod* which lets you fix any issues with autohides and have accessories actually work with your avatar.

There's not much in the way of options, I was looking at hoodies the other day and *all* of them *except* Erratic were cropped and Erratic only fit Maitreya + Petite.

I don't mind the look for Ebody, since I use it for "adult" places with a more "endowed" shape stretched out to be six foot tall because being 5'6" with a realistic shape in SL triggers badly written and incredibly lazy "child detection" scripts, but I normally wear Maitreya Petite or GenX Classic Dainty or Legacy Perky to get a shape that looks more like me and seems "natural" when I see myself on screen.

I have a taste for a more "Gothic" and "Victorian" style, though, and a lot of the makers who I did like are moving to "new" bodies but *not* the "athletic" looking ones. Insomnia Angel and Rabbit House were two I really loved, bot have switched to Ebody Reborn for new riggings and dropped Maitreya Petite, they were a bit less modest than I would like but were far better than most I had found. I don't blame them for being too short, though, the way mesh looks on me when I move has me aim for mid-thigh SL when I would be aiming for ankle RL.

I've not had much luck with clubs, though, most of them are a mass of gesture spam that is flooding the nearby chat and making so many obnoxious noises you can't hear the music. Blackhearts isn't bad, neither is Coven, Satyr as well for an "A" rated club that still seems to have a more mature crowd, and Warehouse 21 jumps between "I like this" and "What am i doing here?"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A few other places I'll add

(I want to note that I'm not sure if these will all work for the "mature" part, but a lot depends on styling)

Pixicat, S@bbia, Sallie, Honey Soul, Nylon Outfitters, Ghee, Secret Store,   RKKN,  Emery,. David Heather,  Rowne, spectacledchic,  Promagic , 

Shi has some avant garde things. Boys to the Bone is streetwear but they have some more covered up pieces that could be worked into a look.

Then for something more Goth and kind of odd is Hotdog.

I don't know about communties or clubs, sorry.

A lot of the fashion is just thinking about how things can be styled or checking out blogs/Flickr and seeing things you like and checking out where they came from.

I am all about classic styles, and conservative dress. I do have club wear, but, it must cover the butt, and yes, I always wear undies, and I don't mind showing a bit of cleavage.  Always in good taste though.  Just looking through my closet, also known as my inventory...Dead Doll, COCO, Tetra, ISON, Just Because, Thalia Heckroth, Erratic, Belle Epoch, Aleutia, Plastix, Tres Blah, Valentina E., Clef de Peau, Rowne, Giz Seorn, Fashionably Dead, PurpleMoon, AlaFolie, just to name a few.  For jeans and casual wear, I also shop at...Addams, Blueberry, Neve, Mimikri. Since I wear a Maitreya body you can't go wrong with any of the clothing and accessories in the store.  Shoes I wear, GOS, ChicChica, Narcodix, Pure Poison, Marchese...For club wear, Ricielli, but I also wear conservative dress in clubs.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 340 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.