Login stuck on "Requesting Region Capabilities"

Saranghada

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

That sounds like it's waiting on a region.. See if this region will work for you..

Help Island Public2

If that doesn't work then this might.. I found this from @Whirly Fizzle in an older thread that did help someone with this problem..

It may be a, large flat inventory structure.. If you get in you may want to correct that as soon as you can, so there aren't future problems.. Below will explain more about what a, large flat inventory structure is..

They really should pin the information about that somewhere for easier reference..

On 4/10/2017 at 11:04 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:

The fact that your alts can login without any problem suggests the problem may be caused by the affected accounts inventory or possibly something worn on the affected avatar.
If the affected account has a large, flat inventory structure causing the login to time out, then support have a special tool to deflatten your inventory. As a workaround for now, see if you can login if you clear cache.  If you can then that pretty much proves the problem is a flat inventory structure.

What is a flat inventory structure?

On 4/10/2017 at 12:54 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

A flat inventory is one which has many thousands of items in one or more folders, where an item is a folder or a single asset.
Having many thousands of items in a single folder is a "flat" structure.
The more sub-foldering you do in your inventory, the better.
It's especially evil to have many folders or loose assets in the root inventory folder.

Your viewer cache stores the inventory structure.
During viewer login, the inventory structure is loaded from the inventory cache on your computer during the "Requesting inventory views" phase.
If an inventory is large *and* flat, requesting inventory views can take a very long time.
You only have so long to get fully logged in from clicking the login button (~2 mins max). If login takes longer then this (for any reason) it will time out & login will either just hang or you will appear to get logged in but get disconnected shortly after login completes.
On a clean cache, creating inventory views is instant because there's no inventory structure to load.

How do I clear the cache?

On 4/10/2017 at 11:28 AM, Whirly Fizzle said:
  • Launch the viewer to the login screen.
  • LL viewer: Top menu bar -> Me -> Preferences -> Advanced -> "Clear cache" button.
  • Firestorm: Top menu bar -> Viewer -> Preferences -> Network & Files -> Directories -> "Clear cache" button.
  • Quit the viewer & relaunch & see if you can login in normal time.

If this doesn't work then you will probably need to file a support ticket..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

She said she already tried that, and different viewers means it's probably nothing a clear cache will fix either. Try restarting your router, and check the internet speed if it still persists if your inventory is very big this can happen, when it's slow. And contact support for further questions the guys there are very good at their job. Maybe even your inventory is flat than this would happen too, and Linden would need to help you fix it.

10 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

She said she already tried that, and different viewers means it's probably nothing a clear cache will fix either. Try restarting your router, and check the internet speed if it still persists if your inventory is very big this can happen, when it's slow. And contact support for further questions the guys there are very good at their job. Maybe even your inventory is flat than this would happen too, and Linden would need to help you fix it.

If it is a problem with there being a long load time that, times out because of a big or flat inventory structure.. That can be a problem with multiple viewers, since the inventory structure is going to have to load with each of them.. A Clear cache could work, since it doesn't have an inventory structure to load anymore.. The inventory would be loaded after the login.

If it did work, they would have to fix the structure issue once they were in, otherwise it is more than likely still going to happen.. That is, if the inventory structure is even the problem.

"Requesting Region Capabilities" means that the viewer's first attempt to talk to a region failed. The first thing to try is different regions. Useful region names: "Ahern" (a mainland info hub), "Boardroom" (a mockup of a conference center), and "Bug Island" (examples of stuff that has caused viewer problems.) Those are all Linden run, harmless, and not heavily used. Try all of those.

This is early in the login process. Before this step, the viewer connected to the login server, validated user name and password, and was sent back lots of info about how to connect to the desired sim server.

This request is an HTTPS request, but unlike most HTTPS requests, it's not on TCP port 443, the default port. A typical port number used is 12043. There are routers, firewalls, and proxies that don't like strange TCP ports. Or strange UDP ports, both of which SL uses. This is likely to come up on business networks, school networks, international connections, public WiFi access points, where there's some "middle box" messing with traffic. Can you say more about how you connect to the Internet?

There's some LL knowledge base advice on this. It's old.

If this is the problem, a VPN (virtual private network) might help. Those route all your traffic through one stream, at some cost in lag and bandwidth. Anyone know a VPN known to work well with SL?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2022 at 10:09 PM, Saranghada said:

Help! I can't log on to the game because i'm stuck at this "Requesting Region Capabilities". I've tried changing location and restarting the app/computer. I also changed viewers but it happens the same. Is there a way to fix it? 

Even if you are not using Firestorm this should help. You need to open the 'Unable to Connect to Simulator' or 'Despite Our Best Attempts...' or other connection messages section.

fs_login_issues [Phoenix Firestorm Project - Wiki] (firestormviewer.org)

If you go to "Waiting for Region Handshake" it will send you to the section above.

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If you go to "Waiting for Region Handshake" it will send you to the section above.

That's the next step in the login process. This user is stuck one step before that.

Either the destination region is down (try a few regions) or something in the middle between the user's computer and the SL region servers is being difficult. Such problems are a huge pain to diagnose. SL has a guide on firewall configuration, but it's old.

Please say more about:

• What kind of computer you are using.
  • Any firewall or network security software on your computer.
  • Are you using a VPN? If so, which one?
  • The path upstream from your computer. WiFi? Hardwired Ethernet? Cable modem? DSL? Fiber to the home? Mobile? Satellite? The Great Firewall of China? Comcast? Info about that may help. Specific brand and model info helps.

If this is a persistent, multi-region problem, it's probably something on that list. You can reach the SL servers, because the first step, reaching the login server, succeeded. So you have basic connectivity.

(Technical note: I'm interested in this because I'm coding the login machinery in my own viewer right now, and am trying to figure out some way to have better error messages. it's hard. Out there at the client end, it's tough to analyze uncooperative middleboxes. I need to find out more about how this fails on different Internet connections.)

Edited by animats
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, animats said:

That's the next step in the login process. This user is stuck one step before that.

Either the destination region is down (try a few regions) or something in the middle between the user's computer and the SL region servers is being difficult. Such problems are a huge pain to diagnose. SL has a guide on firewall configuration, but it's old.

Please say more about:

• What kind of computer you are using.
  • Any firewall or network security software on your computer.
  • Are you using a VPN? If so, which one?
  • The path upstream from your computer. WiFi? Hardwired Ethernet? Cable modem? DSL? Fiber to the home? Mobile? Satellite? The Great Firewall of China? Comcast? Info about that may help. Specific brand and model info helps.

If this is a persistent, multi-region problem, it's probably something on that list. You can reach the SL servers, because the first step, reaching the login server, succeeded. So you have basic connectivity.

(Technical note: I'm interested in this because I'm coding the login machinery in my own viewer right now, and am trying to figure out some way to have better error messages. it's hard. Out there at the client end, it's tough to analyze uncooperative middleboxes. I need to find out more about how this fails on different Internet connections.)

I'll let you argue that with the Firestorm support team.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:07 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

If it is a problem with there being a long load time that, times out because of a big or flat inventory structure.. That can be a problem with multiple viewers, since the inventory structure is going to have to load with each of them.. A Clear cache could work, since it doesn't have an inventory structure to load anymore.. The inventory would be loaded after the login.

If it did work, they would have to fix the structure issue once they were in, otherwise it is more than likely still going to happen.. That is, if the inventory structure is even the problem.

As I mentioned ...flat inventory...I had one myself so I know what I'm talking about.#Spoiler... No the cleared cache won't always help, with logging in, in that case ;)

57 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

As I mentioned ...flat inventory...I had one myself so I know what I'm talking about.#Spoiler... No the cleared cache won't always help, with logging in, in that case ;)

I was just saying that because it had worked for someone in the thread that I got the information from.. Which makes sense to me, because the inventory structure isn't there to load during login and loads after we are already logged in..  Now I'm curious how that would stop you from still being able to log in when there is no inventory structure.

I wonder why it would work for someone and not someone else.. Maybe  it's dependent on how bad one inventory is  compared to another or something.. Maybe more than one flat section in an inventory or maybe it's a really big one or something.. I wonder if the level makes a difference..

Was yours pretty bad?

ETA: I also owe you an apology.. I misread your first post about this.. I mistook it as you saying "Nothing a clear cache would fix"  When you actually said "Probably Nothing that a clear cache would fix".. So for that I apologize.. The misunderstanding is all on me.  It was early in the morning and sometimes when I'm groggy i can read things different than what they were meant to be..:$

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 12:03 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

I was just saying that because it had worked for someone in the thread that I got the information from.. Which makes sense to me, because the inventory structure isn't there to load during login and loads after we are already logged in..  Now I'm curious how that would stop you from still being able to log in when there is no inventory structure.

I wonder why it would work for someone and not someone else.. Maybe  it's dependent on how bad one inventory is  compared to another or something.. Maybe more than one flat section in an inventory or maybe it's a really big one or something.. I wonder if the level makes a difference..

Was yours pretty bad?

ETA: I also owe you an apology.. I misread your first post about this.. I mistook it as you saying "Nothing a clear cache would fix"  When you actually said "Probably Nothing that a clear cache would fix".. So for that I apologize.. The misunderstanding is all on me.  It was early in the morning and sometimes when I'm groggy i can read things different than what they were meant to be..:$

You asked if mine was bad...420k unsorted items bad XD I never sorted my inventory before that day, I rarely deleted demos and so on ...almost 15 years of blogger inventory mess lmao a Linden had to run the script twice on my inventory and I was only able to login into the premium sandbox, after that and needed to sort my inventory for a week straight lmao ( But clearing cache then finally helped at this point but I had to clear my cache everytime I logged in) I deleted around 100k demos XD and now have folders in folders in folders ... I was lucky that my hubby helped me with sorting otherwise I would just have cried and made a new avatar 😆

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

You asked if mine was bad...420k unsorted items bad XD I never sorted my inventory before that day, I rarely deleted demos and so on ...almost 15 years of blogger inventory mess lmao a Linden had to run the script twice on my inventory and I was only able to login into the premium sandbox, after that and needed to sort my inventory for a week straight lmao ( But clearing cache then finally helped at this point but I had to clear my cache everytime I logged in) I deleted around 100k demos XD and now have folders in folders in folders ... I was lucky that my hubby helped me with sorting otherwise I would just have cried and made a new avatar 😆

Wow, I thought I had a hard time sorting a 50k  inventory.. I have to give you big credit for that for sure..

I would have probably given up, then came back, given up then came back and 5 years later maybe had mine workable.. hehehe

That had to be so draining on you.. Well I'm really glad you were able to get yours working again. :)

15 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Wow, I thought I had a hard time sorting a 50k  inventory.. I have to give you big credit for that for sure..

After 11 years on this account, mine is 19000 and.. would be 40.000 if wasn't cleaned.

Still think it's too large for a game..

I remember many years back when i used to decorate for customers although everything was in Folders/Subfolders structure still was a pain to use due to the high number of items.. until one day i said "f* this" and stopped.

EXhqpJc.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

After 11 years on this account, mine is 19000 and.. would be 40.000 if wasn't cleaned.

Still think it's too large for a game..

If other gamers in other games want to know what an endless supply of inventory space is like, this is the best place to find out.. hehehe

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Mine has crept up to 45K in 15+ years.  Time to do some cleaning.  There's a lot of old junk in there.

Mine got up close to 60k and  I just decided to do mine in one stretch. It still took me a week of off and on sorting and deleting, to get mine down to like 40k maybe the upper 30k's..

There is so much side junk with everything we get, from note cards and scripts and landmarks.. I didn't even realize that folders even count as an item, until I did my last inventory cleaning.. hehehe

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.