Looking for friends inworld, where to go?

SunnyBuing

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see alot of posts here on forums about looking for friends but is there any places where people tend to more easily engage in conversations.

I hang out at places like Freebie Galaxy and Social Island, but I wouldnt say either are really good for trying to meet new friends.

London I gave up on because of the mass of AFKing people there...

I would love to meet new people to hang out with and just chill. Maybe join some kind of rp etc. I have been on sl for years but im pretty much a noob still. 

I guess since im already posting on here, it would be cool if people who lurk around the forums want to hangout sometime ^w^

Thank you for reading ~💗

Edited by SunnyBuing
  • Like 2

One of the first things I learned about meeting people and making friends in SL is that when there's a bunch of people and nobody's chatting in local, the best course of action is just to start chatting in local. Find things you like about the place, the avatars around the place, and just start saying stuff about it.

If nobody responds, hang out for a while to give people a chance to see someone spoke and maybe decide they feel like responding, and if nobody talks, then explore the sim a while before trying another place.

Eventually someone will respond to you somewhere, and you'll end up having a conversation. If all they say is that nobody there ever talks, shrug and try more places.

Get creative with search keywords, and explore a lot. Find out when places might have more people in them, like what times they're busiest, and try to go there then. Clubs aren't always great, but at least most people who are annoyed by people trying to chat in local won't be too crabby out loud, and if they are, well, whoever likes talking in local will talk to you regardless. Even just saying things to the DJ about how you like the tune they're spinning can evoke similar responses from other people who are there, and you can sometimes cultivate acquaintances that way, when you see them again and tell them it's cool seeing them again.

Just stay positive, and open to meeting people, and be stubborn. Stick it out and before you realize what's happening, you'll be like OMG I can't even log in without getting a bunch of IMs. XD

It'll happen. Just keep at it. If I can make a bunch of friends, anyone can.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

One of the first things I learned about meeting people and making friends in SL is that when there's a bunch of people and nobody's chatting in local, the best course of action is just to start chatting in local. Find things you like about the place, the avatars around the place, and just start saying stuff about it.

If nobody responds, hang out for a while to give people a chance to see someone spoke and maybe decide they feel like responding, and if nobody talks, then explore the sim a while before trying another place.

Eventually someone will respond to you somewhere, and you'll end up having a conversation. If all they say is that nobody there ever talks, shrug and try more places.

Get creative with search keywords, and explore a lot. Find out when places might have more people in them, like what times they're busiest, and try to go there then. Clubs aren't always great, but at least most people who are annoyed by people trying to chat in local won't be too crabby out loud, and if they are, well, whoever likes talking in local will talk to you regardless. Even just saying things to the DJ about how you like the tune they're spinning can evoke similar responses from other people who are there, and you can sometimes cultivate acquaintances that way, when you see them again and tell them it's cool seeing them again.

Just stay positive, and open to meeting people, and be stubborn. Stick it out and before you realize what's happening, you'll be like OMG I can't even log in without getting a bunch of IMs. XD

It'll happen. Just keep at it. If I can make a bunch of friends, anyone can.

Good advice from Pheeby. I would add that things go much better on the friendship side (and more intimate relationships) if you can be consistent in the times you are in-world. Set up a time table for the times when you are going to be online and try to stick to those times as much as possible. Also look at the time-zones and try to overlap popular time zones eg USA with your time table.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Pick some popular spots you have an interest in and as @Hecate Copperfield says, just join into the Local conversation. If you like music, visit one of the popular more socially focused clubs* and chat and say hello to anyone whose profile catches your eye (reading profiles is a good way to get a handle on someone, sometimes).

It's hard (I'm what's known as an extroverted introvert) but a lot of friendly people are more than happy to chat! And while I hate to say this, some minority but decent % of the guys you say hi to will assume that's an invite to more than chatting.

*Note that some music clubs are crowded but not a single person is chatting in Local except to make annoying noise and gesture spam :) (*cough*Exhale*cough*)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 11/6/2022 at 12:31 PM, Hecate Copperfield said:

Good advice from Pheeby. I would add that things go much better on the friendship side (and more intimate relationships) if you can be consistent in the times you are in-world. Set up a time table for the times when you are going to be online and try to stick to those times as much as possible. Also look at the time-zones and try to overlap popular time zones eg USA with your time table.

OMG, the time table thing is so on point when it comes to having a SL relationship. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I forgot to mention the time zones thing. Time zones SUCK. I probably forgot it on purpose. Because it sucks.

But, at least there's always someone awake somewhere in the world, and if you have a good translator and a sense of adventure, you can always find a congregation of people somewhere on the grid who are active when you are.

I have problems with my sleep cycle sometimes, and for a while the majority of my active friends list was made up of people from Romania. I learned a lot hanging out with them, made many mistakes (which helps with learning), and got a lot of new perspective on how truly international SL is. You can make friends with people from literally anywhere in the world that someone has a computer and internet, and I think it's a great way to grow as a person to make friends with people from all over the world.

Mark Twain said the best cure for racism is to travel the world. I'll expand that to include all other forms of narrow-mindedness. Hard to keep yourself in a little box with a cozy label on it when a drunk Romanian guy is challenging you to explain what you mean when you make some offhanded remark without thinking it out first. XD Time zones suck, but they can help you learn a lot about diplomacy if you're stubborn about finding places to hang out.

I remember being asked, "So why here of all places? Why would you choose to hang out with us?" My answer? "Nobody else is online at this time of day." The general consensus, upon which we all agreed? "TIME ZONES SUCK~!"

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

Yeah, I forgot to mention the time zones thing. Time zones SUCK. I probably forgot it on purpose. Because it sucks.

But, at least there's always someone awake somewhere in the world, and if you have a good translator and a sense of adventure, you can always find a congregation of people somewhere on the grid who are active when you are.

I have problems with my sleep cycle sometimes, and for a while the majority of my active friends list was made up of people from Romania. I learned a lot hanging out with them, made many mistakes (which helps with learning), and got a lot of new perspective on how truly international SL is. You can make friends with people from literally anywhere in the world that someone has a computer and internet, and I think it's a great way to grow as a person to make friends with people from all over the world.

Mark Twain said the best cure for racism is to travel the world. I'll expand that to include all other forms of narrow-mindedness. Hard to keep yourself in a little box with a cozy label on it when a drunk Romanian guy is challenging you to explain what you mean when you make some offhanded remark without thinking it out first. XD Time zones suck, but they can help you learn a lot about diplomacy if you're stubborn about finding places to hang out.

I remember being asked, "So why here of all places? Why would you choose to hang out with us?" My answer? "Nobody else is online at this time of day." The general consensus, upon which we all agreed? "TIME ZONES SUCK~!"

Translating Dust in the Wind for someone may be one of the greatest mind opening experiences I have had. It wasn't translating a song, it was explaining to someone from another culture who very greatly admired this song but did not know what it meant but when was explained to them confirmed what they knew in their heart. I hate to be cliché, but people are people, and the best ones sometimes are the ones we haven't met yet.

• Thanks 2

The forums seem to be the best plact to have a conversation anytime, can't be alien, history, or current event non second life related (unless a second life alien attempted to abduct your sl avatar and travel back in time where you belong (stealing that from flight of the navigator), which is shame but it's kind of nice not having that here and be primary conversation focus all the time. I save that stuff for the evenings :)

Check out the info hubs on the map and you'll see clusters of people, travel around see which spot calls to you, hang out. Someone will start talking about something crazy and then you can start talking crazy and so on and then you have 30 perspectives going on, try not to get offended. I like to let people speak their minds, I speak mine. We agree to disagree a lot of the time. Does not have to be always conflict, that gets redundant and not fun. I like to treat conversation in world with strangers as if I were communicating with a big list of family members. Relationships will not develope over night, but they will develope. 

PheebyKatz is correct sometimes you have to start the conversation. If it starts with I thought this was a social place why are you freaks not speaking. Someone will be like because we don't want to talk to you. They are likely talking in group chat. Don't be offended. Don't feel like you have to belong in group chat i've got invites, I just don't see that as organic conversation so I don't participate, I choose not to participate in group chats. I keep it only to local chat. I have a thing about someone trying to have power over my emotional state. Eventually people will talk in local, might be someone like you, and then that ball will start rolling and rolling and growing.

I avoid non linden areas for developing lasting relationships. It's bad enough being under one government (which is a powerful, intelligent, and graceful government). I don't do 3rd party governments. If the land does not say owned by gov linden, I don't get attached to anyone because one day they could ban me. I will not open myself up to being banished from a place because someone with power did not like me, or it was part of a game I have no desire playing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

On 11/6/2022 at 3:23 PM, SunnyBuing said:

I would love to meet new people to hang out with and just chill. Maybe join some kind of rp etc. I have been on sl for years but im pretty much a noob still. 

Try Peak or Club 511.

Both are packed with people all day long, take a peek in to peoples profiles and you have lots of chances to find plenty to chat or flirt or whatever.

I always park the avi there so if someone bothers you or get scared or too shy to chat with folks come sit next to me even if i am with some girl.

The very last place I'd go is an info hub or sandbox.  They have been magnets for trolls and just plain nasty people since I started in 09.  ANY other place is better than those.

2 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I avoid non linden areas for developing lasting relationships. It's bad enough being under one government (which is a powerful, intelligent, and graceful government). I don't do 3rd party governments. If the land does not say owned by gov linden, I don't get attached to anyone because one day they could ban me. I will not open myself up to being banished from a place because someone with power did not like me, or it was part of a game I have no desire playing.

In over 12 years, I've never been banned from anywhere.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

...In over 12 years, I've never been banned from anywhere.  

Banning can randomly happen for whatever reason,   SL is a game and shouldn't be taken seriously,

For example last week while listening to a DJ friend, the region that we were in was constantly crashed by some griefer ,

so the Estate Owner (original business) instead of figuring out who was responsible, 

banned Nick who is an 11 years old Verified account  (probably because of the "Sci-Fi look"),  from her ~900+ Regions. 

Still can't blame people for banning or whatever, it's their money paying the bill, so their right.

Accept it when it happens and have fun elsewhere or play with an alt whatever..

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The very last place I'd go is an info hub or sandbox.  They have been magnets for trolls and just plain nasty people since I started in 09.  ANY other place is better than those.

In over 12 years, I've never been banned from anywhere.  

And this is the moment we've all waiting for. The award for cleanest virtual criminal record goes to: slowly opens envelope... ROWAN AMORE! Thuderious claps from all around. 

I used to be the same way, I thought of myself as the model user, zero criminal record. I tried the system and the wait that's a song, I fought the law and hmm hm hmm. I think I fell too many times drinking wine and skating. What's happening, where I am?? 

• Confused 1

plus 2020s were crazy; radicalized and then possessed by a demon..; and had to do at home socially distanced self exorcism over the phone. I'm still cleaning up blessed salt. 

If you think your house may be haunted or you might have demons, a trick I learned that absorbs and purfies them. Get some limes cut half way through twice on same side open it a bit put it in something like like little cup, pour a lot of salt over it. Stick few under your bed and each room of the house. wala. they hate that. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Paulsian said:

plus 2020s were crazy; radicalized and then possessed by a demon..; and had to do at home socially distanced self exorcism over the phone. I'm still cleaning up blessed salt. 

If you think your house may be haunted or you might have demons, a trick I learned that absorbs and purfies them. Get some limes cut half way through twice on same side open it a bit put it in something like like little cup, pour a lot of salt over it. Stick few under your bed and each room of the house. wala. they hate that. 

A prime example of why one should not drink and use SL or the internet.  😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'm sure less issues would arise overall if less people played SL while drinking.  Just my opinion.

I make it a general policy to visit SL with a glass of whiskey in hand in RL. And a common exception is with brandy.

Edited by Ags Falconer
  • Like 1

Depending on what you like, we have a new community that hosts a variety of games and activities. I run a roller derby there, we also have motocross, a skate park, a movie theater with Monday movie nights, a club with a DJ once a week (hopefully more nights soon), and some hangout spots and game tables. If you want to check it out it’s called Marysville or shoot me a message in world (missmachine)

I can’t attach an SLurl right now because I’m not in world. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 522 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.