Seasonal Dressing

Rowan Amore

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Nope. SL gives me the opportunity to not care about weather conditions (unlike RL) so I try and take full advantage of it. I usually dress according to my mood or depending on what I want Emma to look like. That said, I may wear warmer clothes if I find some I like and I go to a snowy sim, for instance.

• Like 1

I'm actually hoping we see a change with what shows up in stores.. I mean there used to be a lot of Fall fashion in stores when Fall came around.. Fall is the best fashion season of the year that creators could really get creative.. I mean how creative can you get with wearing so much less.. Nowadays it seems the less fabric there is, the more it costs.. hehehe

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Fall is the best fashion season of the year that creators could really get creative.. I mean how creative can you get with wearing so much less.. Nowadays it seems the less fabric there is, the more it costs.. hehehe

I'd actually argue that spring/summer wear is a lot easier, from a consumer shopping/wearing perspective, just given the nature of mesh. Fall/winter clothes require so much layering (cardigans, sweaters, sweatshirts/hoodies, scarves, longer tops, coats, etc. etc.), and if a store isn't selling entire outfits or you're a fan of mix/matching, it takes aaaaaages to find layerable items that won't clip all over the place. This is actually the bane of my SL shopping existence in general (especially with menswear😩), but it's much worse when you deviate from clothes that don't need to be layered much. 

Pants/jeans/mesh stockings/tights that fit into boots? Pfft. 

Long, cozy sweaters that don't interfere with waistbands and belts and properly fit over our pants? Pfft.

Long, heavy wool skirts that don't clip all through mah legs and flop around all unnatural-like when I walk? Pfft.

Thinner sweaters that can be tucked into belted skirts/pants? Pfft.

Jackets that fit over sweaters? Pfft.

Coats that fit over everything? Pfft.

Big cloaks and cute hoodies with animal ears and hooded dresses that don't completely glitch out our hair? Pfft.

Honestly, that's one major reason why I don't even bother paying attention to seasonal shopping. I mix and match between stores way too much for that.

For instance, if this isn't sold as an entire outfit in the same store, good luck doing it on your own!

wool-skirts-for-winter-7.webp

And for the mens - some more complicated layering that I've not yet personally tried and my head is splodin' trying to figure out how I'd pull any of it off... 

MensWinterStyle2_600x600.jpg?v=161018003

• Like 1

I usually dress according to how I feel. Which is usually jeans t-shirt/blouse or a track suit or something comfy. But autumn is my favorite season for clothing, so many cute options! I do like to keep it seasonal and in the theme of the place I’m at, but only if I know where I’m going: bikini for the beach, etc.

I’d say I’m 40% seasonal? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'd actually argue that spring/summer wear is a lot easier, from a consumer shopping/wearing perspective, just given the nature of mesh. Fall/winter clothes require so much layering (cardigans, sweaters, sweatshirts/hoodies, scarves, longer tops, coats, etc. etc.), and if a store isn't selling entire outfits or you're a fan of mix/matching, it takes aaaaaages to find layerable items that won't clip all over the place. This is actually the bane of my SL shopping existence in general (especially with menswear😩), but it's much worse when you deviate from clothes that don't need to be layered much. 

Pants/jeans/mesh stockings/tights that fit into boots? Pfft. 

Long, cozy sweaters that don't interfere with waistbands and belts and properly fit over our pants? Pfft.

Long, heavy wool skirts that don't clip all through mah legs and flop around all unnatural-like when I walk? Pfft.

Thinner sweaters that can be tucked into belted skirts/pants? Pfft.

Jackets that fit over sweaters? Pfft.

Coats that fit over everything? Pfft.

Big cloaks and cute hoodies with animal ears and hooded dresses that don't completely glitch out our hair? Pfft.

Honestly, that's one major reason why I don't even bother paying attention to seasonal shopping. I mix and match between stores way too much for that.

For instance, if this isn't sold as an entire outfit in the same store, good luck doing it on your own!

wool-skirts-for-winter-7.webp

And for the mens - some more complicated layering that I've not yet personally tried and my head is splodin' trying to figure out how I'd pull any of it off... 

MensWinterStyle2_600x600.jpg?v=161018003

That's kind of my point. We see less and less of full outfits like this.. instead we are paying 2800 for a fatpack for a top in some places that aren't even made very well.. I mean I'm not paying that for a top, but what they are asking nowadays for a top we used to get full outfits for and there were more outfits before..

It costs us more to get the lindens nowadays than before, so lindens aren't going down in price.. So if we are paying more for lindens nowadays, that means there is more being made nowadays on the cashout end of things than before as well.. Yet prices keep going up and up for less and less stuff than before.. 

We are seeing less and less creativity yet paying more for it.. that just doesn't make sense to me i guess..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Is that a challenge?  😃

It'll give me a good reason to sort through fall/winter clothing in my inventory.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That's kind of my point. We see less and less of full outfits like this.. instead we are paying 2800 for a fatpack for a top in some places that aren't even made very well.. I mean I'm not paying that for a top, but what they are asking nowadays for a top we used to get full outfits for and there were more outfits before..

It costs us more to get the lindens nowadays than before, so lindens aren't going down in price.. So if we are paying more for lindens nowadays, that means there is more being made nowadays on the cashout end of things than before as well.. Yet prices keep going up and up for less and less stuff than before.. 

We are seeing less and less creativity yet paying more for it.. that just doesn't make sense to me i guess..

Totally agree! I don't typically buy fatpacks unless we're talking 400L or less if it's a single item. Single color clothing items are fine by me. I typically make up color and style profiles for every avatar/character I run around with anyway to help keep costs down. Like, my pink skin wears pink formals, orc wears neutral tones and black semi-formals, frog wears mostly "bright & sunny" colored summer and vintage wear in yellow/orange/red and sometimes green, deer rocks mostly green casuals and suiting, one male favors yellow, etc. That way, I'm not tempted to spend a whole lot on a range of colors. Of course, that means I have to enter a store with a very clear idea in mind of who the heck I'm buying for and not get sidetracked, LOL.

Also, I don't think any of the problems I described are the fault of clothing designers. Mesh in SL is a PIA to layer. It just is. The only workable solution I *think* might help is if we had more tops with optional sleeves, pant legs we can shorten or thin (Blueberry did this a few times), belts we can remove, waistbands we can raise/lower. But other than that - we're kinda stuck in layering hell!

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Is that a challenge?  😃

It'll give me a good reason to sort through fall/winter clothing in my inventory.

LOL, do it! I'm sure it's possible. It'll just take you a bit to find a sweater that'll look properly tucked-in and a leather jacket that will fit over it without weird glitches!

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
  • Like 2

For Fall and Winter clothing, especially when something is too skimpy, BOM really comes in handy.  I have a lot of BOM tank tops in various colors that are great for wearing under a jacket which is too short (cropped) and/or isn't completely closed in front.  I also have worn BOM long sleeve tops under sleeveless tunic length dresses and will wear BOM pants or leggings with boots. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

For Fall and Winter clothing, especially when something is too skimpy, BOM really comes in handy.  I have a lot of BOM tank tops in various colors that are great for wearing under a jacket which is too short (cropped) and/or isn't completely closed in front.  I also have worn BOM long sleeve tops under sleeveless tunic length dresses and will wear BOM pants or leggings with boots. 

That's what I did recently.  It was a short, off the shoulders sweater from Decoy that I paired with a BOM tank from RIOT.   I matched up a tank for every color in the fatpack!  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

^^ This.  I have tons of BOM tanks and t-shirts (both short & long sleeve) and tons of BOM pants/leggings.  That takes care of any layering needs that I have.

I do understand Ayashe's frustration though.  I don't like how BOM tops look around the collar bone area (especially the distortion during some poses), so I really wish it were easier to layer mesh without having to buy the entire outfit from the same person.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

^^ This.  I have tons of BOM tanks and t-shirts (both short & long sleeve) and tons of BOM pants/leggings.  That takes care of any layering needs that I have.

I do understand Ayashe's frustration though.  I don't like how BOM tops look around the collar bone area (especially the distortion during some poses), so I really wish it were easier to layer mesh without having to buy the entire outfit from the same person.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of BOM clothing in general. I even wear mesh stockings. I do have one recently-bought outfit with BOM tights, but then I have to fiddle with nail removal and toe caps to wear my open-toed shoes/heels (took me ages to find the HUD to toggle those on/off for Maitreya, too! Didn't even realize we had that feature at all).

BOM can work for that, or undershirts, underwear, and tanks, but I'm mostly whining about wanting to wear whole comfy sweaters with a separate scarf, for example, and what a pain it is to get those to not clip on each other (and the hair!). Or wanting to toss a thin coat or long button-down shirt on over a pair of jeans and not have the bottom of it showing mah denim butt through. All kinds of issues - you know the pain, I'm sure, lol.

Mesh is awesome, but sometimes I wish there was a standard silhouette where, say, every pair of jeans could be made to fit under the majority of longer shirts, regardless of store. Impossible I know. I'm just dreaming! 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:Fall/winter clothes require so much layering (cardigans, sweaters, sweatshirts/hoodies, scarves, longer tops, coats, etc. etc.), and if a store isn't selling entire outfits or you're a fan of mix/matching, it takes aaaaaages to find layerable items that won't clip all over the place.

To me that’s what makes fall and winter so fun. You can get really creative with your outfits. Mixing and matching pretty much guarantees your not going to run into someone wearing the same thing as you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

To me that’s what makes fall and winter so fun. You can get really creative with your outfits. Mixing and matching pretty much guarantees your not going to run into someone wearing the same thing as you.

This is true! It just takes so much time. I had to give up on a few outfits because I couldn't get clothes to play together nicely. I attempt to mix and match eeeverything - even going as far as trying to mix menswear and/or fantasy items into the outfit to guarantee something unique.

Spring/summer wear is a lot easier for me to play with that way. I guess because clothing is far less bulky.

The closest I could get to the layers.  I don't own many longer skirts.  The jacket, turtleneck, skirt and belt are from 4 different stores.  There's also a BOM layer tinted to match the turtleneck to cover the tiny bare spot between the top and skirt.  

Snapshot_176.thumb.jpg.0c8637ed39c2849b20d6e64ecb3e5d0e.jpg

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The closest I could get to the layers.  I don't own many longer skirts.  The jacket, turtleneck, skirt and belt are from 4 different stores.  There's also a BOM layer tinted to match the turtleneck to cover the tiny bare spot between the top and skirt.  

Snapshot_176.thumb.jpg.0c8637ed39c2849b20d6e64ecb3e5d0e.jpg

That looks great! It's super cute. And I definitely wish more stores had longer skirts (not floor length maxis), but I understand why they don't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I usually dress my avi with the seasons, and I rather enjoy winter wonderland style sims around the holidays, and get all good and bundled up for those. And a stylish swimsuit for those summer months when visiting beaches! I also tend to gravitate to a more vintage/retro style in general.

• Like 1

50583023588-a122c19d3f-o.png

I do like seasonal fashion, especially autumn apparel. I don't adhere to the RL seasons very strictly, as we don't have any seasons within SL aside from how people decorate their regions; but when taking pictures I absolutely dress up to fit into the scene. 

• Like 4

Yes and no. I have seasonal outfits. I have too many outfits Certainly in December and January I'll make an effort. I have winter coats. i have winter costumes. But what I don't have is enough time in world to wear them all. Partly because I'm shopping fir more outfits.  9_9

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 2:11 PM, Rowan Amore said:

I just wanted to hear if the RL seasonal weather has anything to do with how you dress in SL or do you not even think about it.

No, I never dress my avatar according to my RL seasonal weather. It may coincide, but I never think about it. I always dress up in SL to fit into the scene of the place I'm visiting.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.