15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I have air-conditioning, but I'm staying at a friend's house and they have it set to 79 F.

I have half my house closed off, and on a hot day it gets up to 80 with the A/C at full blast. When it's not crazy hot, I can get it down to 75. I'll be taking hot showers or getting in the pool to cool off if this keeps up.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have half my house closed off, and on a hot day it gets up to 80 with the A/C at full blast. When it's not crazy hot, I can get it down to 75. I'll be taking hot showers or getting in the pool to cool off if this keeps up.

Peeve: A warming climate.

I got spoiled, renting with utilities included and keeping the house at 76 F during the day and lower at night. My friend has a big house, so he can't afford that. 79 it is then, and by midnight it's usually cooler outside than inside, so I can open the window in the guest room until a little after dawn.

He has a pool, but also a grandson who pees in it, so I'll stick with baths or showers to cool off. 😆 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Peeve: 10 months of learning Dutch on one of those free laguage learning apps and all I got was:

Clogs, sweaters, summer wear, but, just like a, meat, reading, walking, big.

I'm trying not to use a translator,  but I feel like I should be able to follow along better.

So you didn't catch that I called Scylla a cow trying to hunt a hare while she threw a clog against Syd's nobhead ?

Uh oh ... :|

Peeve : Klingon dishes served as Dutch treats.

Edited by Ted McGregor
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Most haven't seen the movie version of "The Canterbury Tales" where de Debil is literally pooping people into Heck. It's a funny, shocking, adult-themed movie (and has Tom Baker nude even).

Anyway, I didn't get the adult humor bits when we covered it in English Literature. @Scylla Rhiadra, do teachers skip those adult bits, or are they "lost in translation"? 

How many people know about the obscene mis-translation joke in Bill Spokeshave's "Henry No. 5"?

6 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

6 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And EVIL High Elvish, no less!

Black Speech is in no way related to Quenya, although Sauron did use Tengwar when inscribing the One Ring.

Unfortunately Black Speech isn't a totally fleshed out language, but there's still sufficient enough a vocabulary and grammar to create simple phrases.

Lat ti shêmatut golugârz. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ted McGregor said:

So you didn't catch that I called Scylla a cow trying to hunt a hare while she threw a clog against Syd's nobhead ?

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e472nul90li6radfjqfgl

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I have no idea what's going on.

Are you insinuating I called Syd a d***head in my own language ? You got some nerve  .. :P

Peeve : Nosey clueless bored lions.

Edited by Ted McGregor
Insinuation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ted McGregor said:
3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I have no idea what's going on.

Peeve : Nosey clueless bored lions.

I know that in some cultures, it is not uncommon to threaten others with a shoe ("clog")..

In the recent Disney "Haunted Mansion" movie, the protagonist had an action figure of some hero that used his shoe as a weapon (could not find a picture online of it).

So, I'm not TOTALLY clueless.  I suppose the phrase "nobhead" is unfamiliar if it references one's "noggin'".

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Must have been a down day.  I had less than one page in this thread to catch up on.  The past few days, every time I come here, the thread has grown by 4-6 pages.

It's because the Dutch seem to shut up today.  🙊

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Ted McGregor said:

Hou zelf je kop, klotskop .. :P

Hopskotch!

Assumptions!

Peeve: When people use their native non-English languages, it's like when parents talk their own language so the kids don't hear. 

"Are mommy and daddy fighting?" 

"No, I think they are either cussing or talking about S-E-X."

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ted McGregor said:

Hou zelf je kop, klotskop .. :P

One of our local Carnaval Societies is named De Klotsköp, so: "Alaaf!!"

Peeve: people sometimes don't know where they are talking about.

So for your information: klotsköp (the plural of klotskop) were wooden beams used in the coalmines to support the ceilings against collapsing.
They were made out of pine wood, because pine makes cracking noises when the pressure of the tunnel ceilings mounted, so the miners could escape on time in those cases before a collapse.
In later times these support beams where made out of much stronger iron.

Miners between klotsköp:

lessen-van-de-limburgse-mijnen-durf-same

So if you call me a safety device from the former mining industry, I'm neither excited or offended..... 😎

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4