21 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

We have a lot of clever people in the place. I was thinking about how everybody does their humor differently, and there are some who post a lot of humor. This is not an exhaustive list; it just came to mind while Swearing/Dishes/Wine.
Lindal: Dad jokes par excellence! (puns and the whole gamut)
Scylla: Impersonations and droll, going into character, dahling
Maddy: A mix, cerebral whacky plus slapstick (setting fires)
Orwar: Dark, snarky, on point
Love: Rapid fire one-liners
Rowan: Observational (kinda like Seinfeld but different), also sharply on point
Jordan: Quietly in her corner, and if you listen carefully... omg too funny

I would have given you observational, for such a nice list! I'll sleep on it, maybe an idea will come.

Thanks,

Love

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Peeve: When there is not enough wine in New England to make me pass out and wake up next year, and I can't focus on Bollywood hunks :(  my brain goes to weird places. One may be a new thread (abundance of wine + bad day + brilliant idea of I know! I'll start a thread! = What could possibly go wrong???) (it's all in the math, baby). For right now, this thread gets Weird Brain Musings While Swearing At Fruitflies and Doing the Dishes While Wine:

We have a lot of clever people in the place. I was thinking about how everybody does their humor differently, and there are some who post a lot of humor. This is not an exhaustive list; it just came to mind while Swearing/Dishes/Wine.
Lindal: Dad jokes par excellence! (puns and the whole gamut)
Scylla: Impersonations and droll, going into character, dahling
Maddy: A mix, cerebral whacky plus slapstick (setting fires)
Orwar: Dark, snarky, on point
Love: Rapid fire one-liners
Rowan: Observational (kinda like Seinfeld but different), also sharply on point
Jordan: Quietly in her corner, and if you listen carefully... omg too funny

I'm surprised I got that many, considering: wine. Please don't feel left out! I hate lists...

hrithik-roshan-you-deserve-best.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

Peeve: When there is not enough wine in New England to make me pass out and wake up next year

Imagine that hangover though. And you'd be nothing but a piece of leather after ingesting all those tannins. 

It's why we drink vodka. Nods sagely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Imagine that hangover though. And you'd be nothing but a piece of leather after ingesting all those tannins. 

Hopefully not the 'whipped cream' flavour I had at a party once. You didn't taste the alcohol.

The morning after, after waking up in the ditch next to my tent I realized, it indeed had alcohol in it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Good point. I don't normally get hangovers but... good point. And who wants to look like leather? Although, that would basically be one of those bog people, and while the leather is correct, when they are like 1000+ years old they look pretty good! (decisions)

I recently switched from gin to vodka, so do have that in the fridge. I was saving that for when things got really bad. (decisions)

Btw, the post above mine mentioned "whipped cream" flavored vodka and I laughed at the thought of you drinking that!

5 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Good point. I don't normally get hangovers but... good point. And who wants to look like leather? Although, that would basically be one of those bog people, and while the leather is correct, when they are like 1000+ years old they look pretty good! (decisions)

I recently switched from gin to vodka, so do have that in the fridge. I was saving that for when things got really bad. (decisions)

Btw, the post above mine mentioned "whipped cream" flavored vodka and I laughed at the thought of you drinking that!

It seems that with vodka and tequila, I didn't have many hangovers. (Lower sugar, fewer / no tannins.)

I've been alcohol-free a couple years now, so even fewer hangovers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PekeNL said:

Hopefully not the 'whipped cream' flavour I had at a party once. You didn't taste the alcohol.

Vodka is, by definition, an unflavoured spirit. If you flavour it, it's 'something else' - schnapps, usually; we make an annual batch of bog myrtle schnapps by just steeping bog myrtle in vodka. Personally I wouldn't consider artificial cream flavour to be an edible foodstuff - if you put that in vodka, what you've got is a perfumed disinfectant/cleaning agent. 

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Pfft. I only drink triple-distilled (at least), 40% and up, chilled vodka. Neat. You know, the proper way.

It's also great for mixing drinks with, but then you're not really 'drinking vodka' anymore, you're drinking drinks. Anything else would be a bit like saying 'I ate onions for dinner' because you ate meatloaf that had some onion in it - which would be silly!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Pfft. I only drink triple-distilled (at least), 40% and up, chilled vodka. Neat. You know, the proper way.

I preferred Chopin brand Potato vodka, and failing that, most Potato vodkas. 

Wheat and Rye vodkas were OK, just not as "clean" (easy to drink, without much flavor, etc.). 

(Chopin did have Wheat and Rye vodkas also.)

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I preferred Chopin brand Potato vodka, and failing that, most Potato vodkas. 

Wheat and Rye vodkas were OK, just not as "clean" (easy to drink, without much flavor, etc.). 

(Chopin did have Wheat and Rye vodkas also.)

We do usually have some Polish vodkas available, but I'm also from the largest vodka exporting country in the world - I mostly drink our own stuff!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Orwar said:

We do usually have some Polish vodkas available, but I'm also from the largest vodka exporting country in the world - I mostly drink our own stuff!

It's not that I preferred Chopin because it was Polish (although I do love Chopin's Ballades in particular), it was my favorite for awhile because the bars I went to didn't have any other potato vodkas (shocking!!). Some cheap American Potato vodkas were just as good. I did a "blind" taste test once with 3 potato vodkas, and they were all about the same. One was 4x distilled, even.

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Heh.

I like dad jokes. My family noticed this too, and got me a whole book of them for my last birthday. (They have absolutely no sense of self-preservation.)

I think there is a "Circle of Joke", similar or related to the "Circle of Life".

Childhood: Knock-Knock jokes

Adolescence: Dirty jokes

Adulthood: Contextual / "Smart" / "Current Events" jokes

Middle Age: Dad jokes

Old Age: Knock-Knock jokes

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Adolescence: Dirty jokes

My grandfather used to tell me dirty jokes from a very young age. And I mean, absolutely filthy ones.

Dirty jokes never go out of fashion!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

best place to hear really biting dark humour - a histopath/cytopath lab.

If you want it filthy as well then dare to brave the room occupied by the bench full of cackling witches who spend their entire working day staring down microscopes at pap smears.

One of my RL friends manages a few labs, and has given me a taste of his "lab humor".  Yuck!

Interesting guy, half-Japanese, 6'7", longhair, piercings, femme.  One that "got away".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

One of my RL friends manages a few labs, and has given me a taste of his "lab humor".  Yuck!

Interesting guy, half-Japanese, 6'7", longhair, piercings, femme.  One that "got away".

the "yuck" only usually happens with the "practicals" like tapping the new and arrogant young pathologist to be the one doing the macro dissection on the monstrous cyst that is so massive, taut and throbbing that it came in from the OR in a 5-gallon bucket of formalin... (and that, of course is merely the vastly more experienced lab staff handing out a richly-deserved comeuppance for treating them like crap because they weren't "doctors")

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Vodka is, by definition, an unflavoured spirit. If you flavour it, it's 'something else' - schnapps, usually; we make an annual batch of bog myrtle schnapps by just steeping bog myrtle in vodka. Personally I wouldn't consider artificial cream flavour to be an edible foodstuff - if you put that in vodka, what you've got is a perfumed disinfectant/cleaning agent. 

It's also great for mixing drinks with, but then you're not really 'drinking vodka' anymore, you're drinking drinks. Anything else would be a bit like saying 'I ate onions for dinner' because you ate meatloaf that had some onion in it - which would be silly!

s/vodka/whisky/ and you could almost be a Scotsman :) One must preserve the purity of one's "heritage spirits" against all comers! You can tell an interloper in whisky territory by the fact that they put an "e" in it. (without the "e" it's one of those region origin things) Tells you it is nether from Scotland nor made according to the proper recipe and methods. (our celtic cousins in Ireland get a free pass on this one, they make quite respectable distillates)

now, I've nothing against a good bourbon or rye but "whisky" they aint :D

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

s/vodka/whisky/ and you could almost be a Scotsman :) One must preserve the purity of one's "heritage spirits" against all comers! You can tell an interloper in whisky territory by the fact that they put an "e" in it. (without the "e" it's one of those region origin things) Tells you it is nether from Scotland nor made according to the proper recipe and methods. (our celtic cousins in Ireland get a free pass on this one, they make quite respectable distillates)

I think it was the Science Fiction author Spider Robinson who wrote that in every civilization - every planet, galaxy, etc. is a drink with the name "Whiskey and Sour" - with different spellings but the same gist: "Oisghian Saur", "Weeskyan Soir", etc.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

the "yuck" only usually happens with the "practicals" like tapping the new and arrogant young pathologist to be the one doing the macro dissection on the monstrous cyst that is so massive, taut and throbbing that it came in from the OR in a 5-gallon bucket of formalin... (and that, of course is merely the vastly more experienced lab staff handing out a richly-deserved comeuppance for treating them like crap because they weren't "doctors")

I dunno, "Vxxx warts" sounds yucky enough to me. As would "Axxx warts", etc. Any kind of wart from a genital or orifice.

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I dunno, "Vxxx warts" sounds yucky enough to me. As would "Axxx warts", etc. Any kind of wart from a genital or orifice.

That's "just the job, man..." A surgeon cuts ANYTHING out from somewhere (or takes a sample wondering IF they should cut it out) it goes to histo/cyto so somebody can tell the surgeon if they were right to remove it (or  either "nah, it's benign" or "Oh SH...get that sucker out of your patient's body NOW")

And some of those "anythings" aint pretty, smell pretty bad or would otherwise gag a maggot.

ETA: it is universally accepted in path labs that even though it's not really healthy the fact that formaldehyde vapour inhibits your sense of smell is a good thing.

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Aside from the Scots, Canadians and Japanese also spell their whisky without an e. Haven't tried all that much of either, but the Japanese whiskies I've tried have been absolutely excellent. 

The Germans have the perfect name for it - Reinheitsgebot; it was introduced as early as 1516 (München introduced their own law, which the Bavarian law was later based on, as early as 1487). In more recent times, a lot of products have been protected by law, such as Feta and Haloumi only being lawfully called as such if they are produced in certain parts of mainland Greece and Lesbos, and Cyprus respectively. By now there are several layers of law both on national and EU level for a lot of foodstuffs. 

.. Meanwhile in the US, around 75% of the 'honey' sold has never seen a bee! 

18 minutes ago, Orwar said:

.. Meanwhile in the US, around 75% of the 'honey' sold has never seen a bee! 

I go to a "quality" supermarket, I would be very surprised if any of the honey says something other than "100% natural honey". My understanding was, that it is Chinese honey that is suspect.  I am going to the "market" in an hour, can try to remember and check. And our labeling laws may be "weak" but the ingredients are supposed to be correct.

Normally I don't buy honey, as relatives send me "real 100% natural grown-at-home" honey from Texas.

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

in the US, around 75% of the 'honey' sold has never seen a bee! 

What!?

That surprised me so much that I went and did some web crawling. This "statistic" appears to come from a 2012 article that is just chock full of falsehoods and sensationalism. The debunking site "Rectofossal Ambiguity" had this to say about it:

"The central claim [of the 2012 article] is that “the vast majority of so-called honey products sold at grocery stores, big box stores, drug stores, and restaurants do not contain any pollen, which means they are not real honey”. So, products “found to contain not a trace of pollen” are not honey?

"This is Utter, Utter Bollocks (µ²B) as has been confirmed in the US Courts pollen is not a defining ingredient in honey. The lawsuit in question cited the California Food and Agricultural Code which stipulates that honey may not be processed such that “its essential composition is changed or its quality is impaired” – but that pollen may be removed provided that is part of the process of removing other stuff..."

The honey you buy in the U.S. is filtered and pasteurized (unless it is "raw honey"), but thank goodness, it does come from bees.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2