Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Same, my super lawnmower is so awesome..I could go on and on how, but the chute that directs cut grass was cheap plastic, so I use 2 sticks to prop it open.

Totally Peeveworthy. Seems to be a thing these days, making awesome stuff that breaks fast.

Fortunately, I don't care if people see me using some duct-taped, splinted-together weedeater. Not going to let it stop me.

You'd think they'd make disposable stuff out of the cheap, shoddy plastic, and make the good stuff out of that plastic that everyone says never breaks down, even after a thousand years of exposure to the elements, lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

/me thinks for a few moments

Says something absolutely mind blowingly profound, that will be discussed by people for generations.

/me bows

Peeve: I find it helps to fall over after bowing! Keeps me humble, and lowers the audience expectations.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

But that doesn't make it automatically "false" as fraudulently claimed by Debate Society Idiots.

Peeve: Even an idiot can be right, due to random chance and the string of words and actions! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: A list would be too long and start arguments. But examples including moving goalposts, false comparisons, apparently intentional logical fallacies to advance an argument. I'd say those are all "trolling behaviors". But peeves!

Adolescents sometimes argue (debate) this way, but I wouldn't call them trolls. They just don't know what they're doing, and often actually believe they're making good points.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
7 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: A list would be too long and start arguments. But examples including moving goalposts, false comparisons, apparently intentional logical fallacies to advance an argument. I'd say those are all "trolling behaviors". But peeves!

Adolescents sometimes argue (debate) this way, but I wouldn't call them trolls. They just don't know what they're doing, and often actually believe they're making good points.

I bow to your optimism!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:
18 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I bow to your optimism!

haha...well I wouldn't call it optimism. It's just important to determine whether someone is doing a behavior deliberately. I don't want to call them some egregious name if their mistake is innocent. Not easy to tell sometimes though!

Peeve: For some reason, to be a "troll" is considered so egregious, that we dare not use it when describing oft-used behaviors!

I propose some new possible terms:

"Spunky" ("They've got Spunk!" First pop-culture usage was by Ed Asner in the Mary Tyler Moore show.)

"Foil" (They make a great "foil" during debates!)

"Challenged" ("I find them 'challenged' when it comes to debating, and their use of logic.")

Ogre, goblin, elf , sprite, fairy , monster , creature , elemental (Synonyms for "troll", some of which may be a lot easier.)

"Fun" ("They are a lot of fun!")

18 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: For some reason, to be a "troll" is considered so egregious, that we dare not use it when describing oft-used behaviors!

The problem is that it's 'name-calling' and describes an end condition that might not apply to someone who is exhibiting some or one of the behaviors a troll uses.

It would be like calling someone a psychopath who might be displaying a lack of empathy regarding a topic, or calling someone a narcissist when they were temporarily caring more about themselves than others in a discussion or with some situation, or calling someone an idiot when they might not be thinking clearly that day or regarding a certain subject.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

You'd think they'd make disposable stuff out of the cheap, shoddy plastic, and make the good stuff out of that plastic that everyone says never breaks down, even after a thousand years of exposure to the elements, lol.

Or that indestructable plastic that tools and scissors seem to come packaged in.... you know... the ones you need a pair of scissors to open. 

Edited by brodiac90
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Or that indestructable plastic that tools and scissors seem to come packaged in.... you know... the ones you need a pair of scissors to open. 

I think some comedian said they should make airliner "black boxes" out of that material..

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

And a hacksaw.

Peeve: Anti-theft packaging

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think some comedian said they should make airliner "black boxes" out of that material..

Or maybe cereal that has dried in a bowl that you've left to wash..... 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
14 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

And a hacksaw.

Peeve: For awhile, Amazon was promoting that they sell some products in "no-hassle packaging".  I think they gave up, or just stopped promoting it.

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: For awhile, Amazon was promoting that they sell some products in "no-hassle packaging".  I think they gave up, or just stopped promoting it.

They stopped promoting it and simply ship it as such.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
30 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

And a hacksaw.

super peeve

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

"Country X lost a war because of poor decisions, AND leader Y was an insane idiot"

Not an Ad Hominem.

"County X lost a war because of poor decisions BY leader Y, an insane idiot"

An Ad Hominem.

The key point here is "Attack the person", "all ideas by Leader Y were crap BECAUSE leader Y was an insane idiot!".

But that doesn't make it automatically "false" as fraudulently claimed by Debate Society Idiots.

If the target did indeed fail their exam, and does indeed know sod all about history, and is in fact an idiot with aa 2 digit IQ score, the "Ad Hominem" is in fact perfectly valid and "true".

This is why pseudo-intellectuals claiming "the debate society rules of Not-logic prove your mere fact are beaten by head-up-arse invented fallacies".

I think the person being attacked has to be the speaker, poster or opponent in order for it to be an ad hominem attack. Saying Hitler was a psychotic egotist, for instance, would not be an ad hominem attack in a debate about factors leading to WWII.

Peeve: People misunderstanding and misrepresenting the meanings of words, terms or phrases.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
To clarify peeve
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Self Peeve: Not realizing soon enough that its better to not voice opinions on things you don't necessarily agree with and not be so aggressive with commenting. My bad, my apologies.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Missy Starchild said:

When someone randomly messages me, we get about four lines into the conversation, and then it just abruptly dies before they get to the point of why they messaged me to begin with

Peeve: When I have to "fake my own death" to avoid messages!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Truthfully, maybe it's my "professional" upbringing by early internet culture but there was a time when I considered trolling an art form and not the hateful act it is today. It was usually reserved for self important types that had maneuvered themselves into a ludicrous overextended position on a frankly idiotic topic. There was a certain joy and skill in getting them to argue until their position was so absurd and surreal, they either noticed or stepped out of line. At which point, fair enough, let mods sort it out. Stop before it becomes hurtful.

It felt like it was a natural community immune system response towards extreme or obtuse elements. Obviously nowadays it has gotten a different meaning, one that is a lot more political and also hateful. It has also become a label for just about anyone with a disagreement - because apparently the notion that someone might genuinely disagree compared to say, just getting a rise out of someone, seems to have been lost.

I hate the new internet.

Interesting sort of historical overview!

I've probably run across the kind earlier, "artistic" form of trolling that you mention, but I can't recall an example offhand. Most of the examples of older trolling I know were very self-involved. They might well work at trying to manipulate or push someone's argument over the edge, but it was seldom if ever because the troll actually cared: it was all about self-display. "Look how clever I am!"

I think you're correct about the way trolling has become weaponized in a way that it wasn't before. Some of the older trolls I've known were definitely highly toxic, but they weren't wielding the tools of the trade in the service of a particular perspective. I feel as though, sometime about 10 years ago, the same kinds of people who calculated that algorithms could be manipulated using bots to push disinformation also realized that the approaches used by the troll could be pressed into service, often to "ratio" someone on Twitter or elsewhere.

So, yeah. I feel trolling now (and this includes these forums) is less about the troll than about the agenda, whatever that is. It's less an "art form" (if you want to call it that) than a corporate, institutional, or ideological tool. I don't know that that makes it more toxic or even hateful, but it certainly means that the stakes are higher.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Repetition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
9 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Truthfully, maybe it's my "professional" upbringing by early internet culture but there was a time when I considered trolling an art form and not the hateful act it is today. It was usually reserved for self important types that had maneuvered themselves into a ludicrous overextended position on a frankly idiotic topic. There was a certain joy and skill in getting them to argue until their position was so absurd and surreal, they either noticed or stepped out of line. At which point, fair enough, let mods sort it out. Stop before it becomes hurtful.

It felt like it was a natural community immune system response towards extreme or obtuse elements. Obviously nowadays it has gotten a different meaning, one that is a lot more political and also hateful. It has also become a label for just about anyone with a disagreement - because apparently the notion that someone might genuinely disagree compared to say, just getting a rise out of someone, seems to have been lost.

I hate the new internet.

Expand  

Interesting sort of historical overview!

I've probably run across the kind earlier, "artistic" form of trolling that you mention, but I can't recall an example offhand. Most of the examples of older trolling I know were very self-involved. They might well work at trying to manipulate or push someone's argument over the edge, but it was seldom if ever because the troll actually cared: it was all about self-display. "Look how clever I am!"

Peeve: And back in the day, we had "flaming" with funny jokes and insults interspersed with annoying ASCII pictures.  (I only saw it in college, on mainframes. Local nerds communicating with non-local nerds.)  How "flaming" became "trolling", I assume is because the groups who "flamed" were friendly with one another, then as the online communities grew there was more anonymity so people could "troll".  <= I made that last part up!

• Like 2