2 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

I'm still waiting for that invite to your art exhibition btw! 

I thought I'd sent that! Apologies. I should note, though, that the SLURL is in my forum signature as well

2 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

I post in spite of it - child avatar views should be represented - no one else is going to do it for us. 

And it's appreciated.

When I first started posting here (actual, in the predecessor to this forum) in 2008, it was in the context of discussions leading up to the imposition of the new rating system that we still, more or less, use. I was responding to those changes from a feminist perspective (bear in mind that this was a time when there was a strong anti-feminist backlash in RL).

My initial experiences here were, to put it mildly, not pleasant.

Partly that was my fault -- I didn't gauge the community here very well, nor use the kind of language that was appropriate to the place -- and partly that was the fault of the then forumites, who were frankly pretty intolerant of the kind of perspective that I had to offer.

Despite experiencing some very nasty pile-ons and toxicity, I decided to stick with it, and to make an effort to integrate myself into the community here -- without compromising my perspective. I moderated my language somewhat, and engaged in discussions that were not merely political to demonstrate that I wasn't a one-trick pony nor monomaniacal about my feminism. It took at least a half year or more, but eventually I was "accepted," and even (*gasp!*) appreciated by the forum community (which was, I should say, much rougher and frequently nastier than the one here now). And I was able to continue to offer my particular perspective, informed as it was by my feminism, in a way that compelled people to at least listen and think about it.

You'll do fine, I'm sure, as I did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My initial experiences here were, to put it mildly, not pleasant.

Partly that was my fault -- I didn't gauge the community here very well, nor use the kind of language that was appropriate to the place -- and partly that was the fault of the then forumites, who were frankly pretty intolerant of the kind of perspective that I had to offer.

Peeve: Some of us try to be as unpleasant and intolerant as possible!

While, the rest of us are sorely underrated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brodiac90 said:

It is nice of you to say so. I'm still waiting for that invite to your art exhibition btw! 

However, with the notable exception of a few, the environment here towards child avatars has been pretty hostile. I'm honestly not surprised really since it only seems to mirror the sort of contempt we face in world as well. 

I post in spite of it - child avatar views should be represented - no one else is going to do it for us. 

I'm extremely happy you (and hopefully Madi) have chosen to stick around! The situation that brought you to the forums is rather unfortunate, and I'm sorry your experience here has been less than welcoming at times, but I, for one, am always happy to see new faces around these here parts, and I know I'm not the only one.

I so so so rarely run into child avatars in-world (probably a good thing for you guys as I'm often some kind of monster or something when I'm not a frog), so it'll be fun to have the opportunity to learn about your community without accidentally scaring the heck out of you. 🤣

I think I remember you saying you love to shop (WOOHOO), so if you dig around a bit in General and Your Avatar, you might find some threads of interest. I know we have a Second Life foooooooood thread floating around in General somewhere...

Peeve: We absolutely need more food and decorating threads.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm extremely happy you (and hopefully Madi) have chosen to stick around! The situation that brought you to the forums is rather unfortunate, and I'm sorry your experience here has been less than welcoming at times, but I, for one, am always happy to see new faces around these here parts, and I know I'm not the only one.

I so so so rarely run into child avatars in-world (probably a good thing for you guys as I'm often some kind of monster or something when I'm not a frog), so it'll be fun to have the opportunity to learn about your community without accidentally scaring the heck out of you. 🤣

I think I remember you saying you love to shop (WOOHOO), so if you dig around a bit in General and Your Avatar, you might find some threads of interest. I know we have a Second Life foooooooood thread floating around in General somewhere...

giphy.gif

I think I'd like to meet your frog avatar! I can speak frog, ribbit! 

Also, what on Earth is all this Peeve stuff? Feels like an inside joke I'm not getting..... 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I thought I'd sent that! Apologies. I should note, though, that the SLURL is in my forum signature as well

I don't see your signature. Is that something I have to turn on?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brodiac90 said:

Also, what on Earth is all this Peeve stuff? Feels like an inside joke I'm not getting..... 

This is the "Pet Peeves" thread. Technically, it is a "grandfathered" thread so doesn't have to be about "Second Life".

However, we've been reminded to "keep it light", mostly short discussions that somehow relate to "Peeves" (things that "bug you".)

Longer discussions unrelated to Peeves put the thread in actual jeopardy of being locked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Oh, I think you'd like her! But she speaks French.

(lol kidding kidding)

The peeve thing is because this is technically a thread for posting peeves and mild annoyances. Our place to whine about mostly anything (as long as it fits within the general forum rules). 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, I think you'd like her! But she speaks French.

(lol kidding kidding)

The peeve thing is because this is technically a thread for posting peeves and mild annoyances. Our place to whine about mostly anything (as long as it fits within the general forum rules). 

Oh let me try it. Ahem (coughs) and puts on zal voice. 

Peeve: Rabble rabble, roar roar, child avatar child avatar, rabble rabble, walking TOS violation, blah blah blah tiny terror tot gang blah blah blah.... 

Did I get it? :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Peeve: Rabble rabble, roar roar, child avatar child avatar, rabble rabble, walking TOS violation, blah blah blah tiny terror tot gang blah blah blah.... 

Peeve: I made a "child avatar friend" but my home is on Adult land. 😞

• Sad 1

Loool, no comment. 😆

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:
5 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Loool, no comment. 😆

I'll say it! @brodiac90, PLEASE don't pattern your Peeves and Rants after a certain someone!!!

IMG_9060.jpeg.f436a95f77670e56c490e2df081863d5.jpeg

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Some of us try to be as unpleasant and intolerant as possible!

While, the rest of us are sorely underrated.

Much depends on what you want to accomplish, I think.

In the old days, we had a troll who excelled, to the extent that he nearly dominated the forum, at being amusingly sarcastic and nasty. He frankly wasn't (isn't, in fact -- he still trolls me on Twitter a bit) all that bright, and his "arguments" were frequently half-digested bits and pieces he'd quickly googled -- but he had an entertaining style.

I don't think he was very good at "persuading" people to one view or another, but then that wasn't what he was about: his main aim was a sort of narcissistic compulsion to be liked and well-regarded. And at that he succeeded, because he could be funny and entertaining. (Those who liked him, and there are still some who have suggested they "miss" him here, tended to turn a blind eye to how really deliberately cruel and nasty he could be.)

So, being unpleasant can sometimes be a ticket to a kind of "success."

But if you want to engage in actual discussion, and maybe even change the way people think or understand things, I don't think unpleasantness and intolerance are really a very effective strategy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, brodiac90 said:

Nope nope! Not going there

Oh hell. I didn't realize it was now "Adult." It used to be General, in fact: the gallery owner moved a few months ago and he must have changed the rating then.

Apologies! My intention was definitely NOT to lure you into a ToS violation!

In a couple of weeks, I'll be hosting an exhibition, at my own G-rated gallery, of pictures produced by forumites: I'll make sure you get an invite to that!

Again, sorry! And oops!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Oh hell. I didn't realize it was now "Adult." It used to be General, in fact: the gallery owner moved a few months ago and he must have changed the rating then.

Apologies! My intention was definitely NOT to lure you into a ToS violation!

In a couple of weeks, I'll be hosting an exhibition, at my own G-rated gallery, of pictures produced by forumites: I'll make sure you get an invite to that!

Again, sorry! And oops!

No worries. G-rated gallery sounds good! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And I was able to continue to offer my particular perspective, informed as it was by my feminism, in a way that compelled people to at least listen and think about it.

I like what you wrote (the whole post), but are you sure people are actually compelled to listen and think about it?  Do you have evidence of people doing so?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I bought a lot of the food people suggested in my recent "food thread", and rezzed it all out in my current build!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

My intention was definitely NOT to lure you into a ToS violation!

And yet, surely thou art a Siren!

8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I like what you wrote (the whole post), but are you sure people are actually compelled to listen and think about it?  Do you have evidence of people doing so?

Peeve: That some may say they listen, merely to stop the Siren-Song! @Scylla Rhiadra

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1