5 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: all this talk about YouTube's anti-adblock crusade (not just here, it's all over zhe Interwebs) - and yet mine works flawlessly (the one time it didn't was with a weirdly embedded video at a recipe site, but since I always go to YouTube anyway to play it in cinematic view anyways, that didn't really matter).

I don't get to join in the outrage! Huffs.

Apparently it is being rolled out in waves, I haven't received any warnings either though.

I have faith in the good people at ublock origin to take care of it though, seems they're pretty on top of it and I assume the next version of the extension will have a filter list that auto-updates multiple times per day.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Apparently it is being rolled out in waves, I haven't received any warnings either though.

I have faith in the good people at ublock origin to take care of it though, seems they're pretty on top of it and I assume the next version of the extension will have a filter list that auto-updates multiple times per day.

Myself I never really minded the adds as long as they had the timer on them.. If they switch from that to where we have to watch whole adds.. I know I'd be done with them then.. I can't stand places that throw two or three adds at you at a time.. With that stupid, your video will start in 1:43..

I don't even consider their premium at all..

Honestly I hope it pinches a lot of the junk out, because adds have a tendency to have people not watch so leisurely..

Plus hope Youtube feels a big hard pinch from it.. Because a lot of people watched on there not only for the videos, but because you could get around the adds with a blocker or that timer.. Take that away and they may end up with less themselves..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: I should have FOMO, since I don't remember ever using an "ad blocker" for anything.

(Sure, a built-in default browser "pop-up blocker", but that's different.)

I didn't even know I had an ad blocker on until Youtube told me I had one.. hehehe

At first I thought it was about my VPN or anti tracker.. Then looked up in my settings and seen something with a Malwarebytes extension for firefox..I turned that off and I got the timer back on my videos.. 

I'm thinking my other half put that on there and didn't tell me.. Now I'm gonna have to dig to see if anything else has been put on there that I wasn't told about..

• Like 2

apologies if this was covered before, but i need to vent (and, honestly, stop 'wasting time' scrolling through peeves!)....

remember when the phrase "Free Gift" was ridiculously redundant? a stupid marketing ploy to hit people with two words meaning they were gonna get something for free.  "a gift is free, by definition!" we used to say.

congratulations, second life, you've made that no longer a thing.

yes, there's freebies vs dollarbies and i get that.  there was even that thing where, to get a 'free' gift, you had to pay caspervend 1 L and it would refund it to you for some convoluted reason.

but NOW.  i have seen items at events where people are offering 10L GIFTS!  or 25 or even 30, i think.  yes a GIFT that you HAVE TO PAY FOR.  sure, 30L is a pittance, but... that's not a gift, bro.  it's just NOT.

are things on 25L tuesdays 'gifts'?  are the things on fifty linden fridays 'gifts'?  nobody is pretending they are.  ...yet?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Myself I never really minded the adds as long as they had the timer on them.. If they switch from that to where we have to watch whole adds.. I know I'd be done with them then.. I can't stand places that throw two or three adds at you at a time.. With that stupid, your video will start in 1:43..

This is even worse on Twitch, which I also use a ton. There were periods when they fiddled around and broke a bunch of adblocks where you'd get 6-10 unskippable 30-second or longer ads at once, right in the middle of a livestream. This isn't a pre-roll where you'd need to wait around 30 seconds when first tuning into a stream - this would be an ad-segment forced right in while you've been watching and are likely invested in whatever action/content is being shown. It sometimes would happen every 15-20 minutes, sometimes every hour, depending on the streamer and their contract. Hugely problematic for people watching streams of games with heavy storytelling/cutscenes, or people who watch e-sports tournaments and are trying to follow the matches. Crazy obnoxious. 

It got so bad that uBlock stopped working for me entirely on there, and I've had to start downloading Twitch-specific blockers. I can only subscribe to so many individual Twitch channels at once as each one costs $5 (I get one for free with my Amazon Prime sub and maybe I'll toss a streamer $5 on occasion), I'm already paying for Prime (Amazon owns Twitch) and I refuse to pay another $12.99/month just for Twitch Turbo. 

I remember old school internet where you'd have a dozen flashing banners in your face on every site. Zero chance I'm navigating the web today without my blockers. The few times I was forced to turn them off (for a work project I was doing - had to evaluate some search results and we needed blockers off for that), I got slammed with obnoxious ads and dodgy links spammed all over Google. Forget all of that.

Peeve: Stop advertising to me. Doesn't work. My block game is strong. 😎😏

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This is even worse on Twitch, which I also use a ton. There were periods when they fiddled around and broke a bunch of adblocks where you'd get 6-10 unskippable 30-second or longer ads at once, right in the middle of a livestream. This isn't a pre-roll where you'd need to wait around 30 seconds when first tuning into a stream - this would be an ad-segment forced right in while you've been watching and are likely invested in whatever action/content is being shown. It sometimes would happen every 15-20 minutes, sometimes every hour, depending on the streamer and their contract. Hugely problematic for people watching streams of games with heavy storytelling/cutscenes, or people who watch e-sports tournaments and are trying to follow the matches. Crazy obnoxious. 

It got so bad that uBlock stopped working for me entirely on there, and I've had to start downloading Twitch-specific blockers. I can only subscribe to so many individual Twitch channels at once as each one costs $5 (I get one for free with my Amazon Prime sub and maybe I'll toss a streamer $5 on occasion), I'm already paying for Prime (Amazon owns Twitch) and I refuse to pay another $12.99/month just for Twitch Turbo. 

I remember old school internet where you'd have a dozen flashing banners in your face on every site. Zero chance I'm navigating the web today without my blockers. The few times I was forced to turn them off (for a work project I was doing - had to evaluate some search results and we needed blockers off for that), I got slammed with obnoxious ads and dodgy links spammed all over Google. Forget all of that.

Ya, it's exhausting and really has me doing even less on the internet these days, which is really probably a good thing.. hehehe

I have definitely cut down on where I go on the internet.. Heck the search engines are all algorithm, which if you ask me is just plain stupid, because searches take forever and a day now because you have to wade through a ton of click bait and blog sites to get what you were specifically after..Where years ago you would get a lot of what you were looking for..

To me the internet has turned into this big huge add farm compared to what it used to be..

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bloodsong Termagant said:

apologies if this was covered before, but i need to vent (and, honestly, stop 'wasting time' scrolling through peeves!)....

remember when the phrase "Free Gift" was ridiculously redundant? a stupid marketing ploy to hit people with two words meaning they were gonna get something for free.  "a gift is free, by definition!" we used to say.

congratulations, second life, you've made that no longer a thing.

yes, there's freebies vs dollarbies and i get that.  there was even that thing where, to get a 'free' gift, you had to pay caspervend 1 L and it would refund it to you for some convoluted reason.

but NOW.  i have seen items at events where people are offering 10L GIFTS!  or 25 or even 30, i think.  yes a GIFT that you HAVE TO PAY FOR.  sure, 30L is a pittance, but... that's not a gift, bro.  it's just NOT.

are things on 25L tuesdays 'gifts'?  are the things on fifty linden fridays 'gifts'?  nobody is pretending they are.  ...yet?

Peeve: And then there's the contradictory, "Free Gift With Purchase"!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Peeve: Some of the "old school" websites I often go to, still have "banner style" ads.  Some of them also have "pop-up" ads (either videos or stack ads) that I have to click to "go away".

However: Most of these same "old school" websites ALSO have the more modern "sidebar" ads - which are often directly targeted to me, advertising products websites I go to often.  Those ads - I actually appreciate! ("Oh, new product! Oh, that's on my wishlist still. Oh, that's on sale?!?")

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, it's exhausting and really has me doing even less on the internet these days, which is really probably a good thing.. hehehe

I have definitely cut down on where I go on the internet.. Heck the search engines are all algorithm, which if you ask me is just plain stupid, because searches take forever and a day now because you have to wade through a ton of click bait and blog sites to get what you were specifically after..Where years ago you would get a lot of what you were looking for..

To me the internet has turned into this big huge add farm compared to what it used to be..

I'd say the internet has always been a massive ad farm (big peeve territory right there). Just think back to Geocities sites, Angelfire, Tripod, etc. etc. It's why I won't use the web at all without reliable blocking. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I work online and much of my work involves zipping around the web doing research and fact-checking, so I can't really avoid it.

A small little ad in the margin of a recipe site or a couple of well-disclosed affiliate links in a how-to blog is no big deal IMO, but that plus banners in the header and footer and hidden affiliate links spread throughout and whole rows of sponsors and 3 popups as it detects your mouse navigating to the "get me out of here" X on the tab - yeah, that's way too much for me.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Well, I'm that seldom on You Tube that I can't justify for myself to go premium.
An occasional music video and that is about it.

I'd certainly never go premium with Youtube or Planet Rock or anywhere else for that matter. It's £6.99 here, and £3.99 there, and who the heck can just afford to go chucking money away like that anyway, and who the heck has got time to keep up with it all too? (That's a mystery to me.)

The only thing I do pay a subscription for (apart from the broadband service) is Readly, which is all-you-can-eat magazines and newspapers, with such a massive choice, but I signed up for this because magazines and newspapers were my main impulse buy. I couldn't go into a shop without chucking a load in my basket, and again, who the heck has the time to read as much as I was buying - not me! 

When the adverts come on Youtube, I turn the volume down, nip into Readly, nip back to Youtube. It works for me.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'd say the internet has always been a massive ad farm (big peeve territory right there). Just think back to Geocities sites, Angelfire, Tripod, etc. etc. It's why I won't use the web at all without reliable blocking. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) I work online and much of my work involves zipping around the web doing research and fact-checking, so I can't really avoid it.

A small little ad in the margin of a recipe site or a couple of well-disclosed affiliate links in a how-to blog is no big deal IMO, but that plus banners in the header and footer and hidden affiliate links spread throughout and whole rows of sponsors and 3 popups as it detects your mouse navigating to the "get me out of here" X on the tab - yeah, that's way too much for me.

The adds back then seemed way less corporate backed than they are today.. It's on a much larger scale nowadays..

I remember someone making a big deal about Coke having something on the internet.. lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

However: Most of these same "old school" websites ALSO have the more modern "sidebar" ads - which are often directly targeted to me, advertising products websites I go to often.  Those ads - I actually appreciate! ("Oh, new product! Oh, that's on my wishlist still. Oh, that's on sale?!?")

Targeted ads are a whole separate peeve that make me absolutely furious. I never consented to that level of data collection and don't appreciate it.

A long time ago, before I deactivated Facebook, I found a page where they'd been storing a ton of interests I never really made public. They were just going by my browser activity and tracking which stores I'd been visiting (at the time, I'd been searching for new bedding/a mattress, so tons of that). Deleted all that, deactivated my account, haven't used it since. Thankfully, I never actually posted much on there and only used it to keep up with a freelance writing group and to access a few FB games. For.get.alla.dat.

Targeted ads on sites get blocked, too, or if I'm feeling particularly petty, I'll filter out the entire sidebar with a custom uBlock filter. No thank youuuuu.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly I hope it pinches a lot of the junk out, because adds have a tendency to have people not watch so leisurely..

Plus hope Youtube feels a big hard pinch from it.. Because a lot of people watched on there not only for the videos, but because you could get around the adds with a blocker or that timer.. Take that away and they may end up with less themselves..

I don't tolerate internet ads at all any more, have been blocking everything since... well, I don't remember. The mid 2000s I guess. Adblockers have always got the upper hand anyway, it's pointless even trying to fight it and I can assure YouTube I am not ever going to pay for their service.

YouTube were not properly sharing ad revenue with creators even before this push so I've no real qualms about my position at all. I throw patreon subs at the few people I regularly watch for niche content and that seems fine with them and me.

All of this said: YouTube/Google were making more than adequate profit on ads being delivered to the bulk of users watching on mobile in particular, while desktop users (and a very small fraction of mobile users due to the technical complexity of it) increasingly were blocking ads this is a tiny fraction of views compared to mobile. They were making plenty, no need to go after desktop users blocking the ads and it's a largely pointless endeavour anyway, I can block any attempt they make to force me to view ads.

Only way they can stop me is by implementing an actual paywall and they're not there yet so... well, I'll just keep blocking :)

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

Peeve: all this talk about YouTube's anti-adblock crusade (not just here, it's all over zhe Interwebs) - and yet mine works flawlessly (the one time it didn't was with a weirdly embedded video at a recipe site, but since I always go to YouTube anyway to play it in cinematic view anyways, that didn't really matter).

I don't get to join in the outrage! Huffs.

Me either. I don't use ad blockers. *pretty pouts

Google search even with the best of ad blockers, usually just results in a ton of news articles after you filter through the social media sites.  I don't typically see ads, because I have them all blocked, but the popular search engines just lead to a bunch of boring sites that I have no real interest in.

Social Media does not interest me very often,  and the search engines just lead to news like sites, and I for one have a dislike of the news in general when I am just looking for fun sites, from individual perspectives.  I miss the old ugly pages, with a ton of randomly placed pictures, horrible grammar, a bunch of typos and the ugly clashing colors, with lots of blinking animated gifs.  I even miss the dreaded frames people used to use.

I know, I know.. it is the OCD's nightmare, but the current Internet is so bland, it is so generic, and boring.  More or less, it is fashioned to be more pleasing to get more revenue, it has a focus on generating money and has lost its spirit along the way.  It is like a perpetual elevator ride, complete with boring music.   Most people want perfection, I desire chaos.

I search for Second Life on google, get the typical social media results, then tons of news articles, followed by more news articles, a few blogs here and there.. All of the flavor has been sucked out.  Then I go to wiby.me and do a search and I get this:

https://cyberwolfman.com/main.htm

Yep, that is what I am talking about.  That is what made the Internet great in my eye, just absolute random chaos, an anarchy of madness which sets my mind ablaze.  Thankfully there are still search engines that have not sold their soul yet.

Ad blocker or not, a lot of the Internet is just designed to generate money, it is designed around the ads.

Edit:
I think this is what makes SL so great as well, people complain about the eye sores, the lousy textures, skyboxes, I find it beautiful in a way, because it has a soul of its own, created by a lot of different people expressing themselves in a multitude of ways, that each find pleasing for themselves.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Yep, that is what I am talking about.  That is what made the Internet great in my eye, just absolute random chaos, an anarchy of madness which sets my mind ablaze.  Thankfully there are still search engines that have not sold their soul yet.

Play Hypnospace Outlaw (it's on Steam, Epic, and Game Pass). It's set in the 90s and the entire game involves browsing and exploring a 90s-inspired Internet - obnoxious fonts and wallpapers and all.

Or alternatively...Tumblr still exists (shudders).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Google search even with the best of ad blockers, usually just results in a ton of news articles after you filter through the social media sites.  I don't typically see ads, because I have them all blocked, but the popular search engines just lead to a bunch of boring sites that I have no real interest in.

Social Media does not interest me very often,  and the search engines just lead to news like sites, and I for one have a dislike of the news in general when I am just looking for fun sites, from individual perspectives.  I miss the old ugly pages, with a ton of randomly placed pictures, horrible grammar, a bunch of typos and the ugly clashing colors, with lots of blinking animated gifs.  I even miss the dreaded frames people used to use.

I know, I know.. it is the OCD's nightmare, but the current Internet is so bland, it is so generic, and boring.  More or less, it is fashioned to be more pleasing to get more revenue, it has a focus on generating money and has lost its spirit along the way.  It is like a perpetual elevator ride, complete with boring music.   Most people want perfection, I desire chaos.

I search for Second Life on google, get the typical social media results, then tons of news articles, followed by more news articles, a few blogs here and there.. All of the flavor has been sucked out.  Then I go to wiby.me and do a search and I get this:

https://cyberwolfman.com/main.htm

Ad blocker or not, a lot of the Internet is just designed to generate money, it is designed around the ads.

Edit:
I think this is what makes SL so great as well, people complain about the eye sores, the lousy textures, skyboxes, I find it beautiful in a way, because it has a soul of its own, created by a lot of different people expressing themselves in a multitude of ways, that each find pleasing for themselves.

Is wiby.me a search engine? If so I think I might like me some of that there cuucain.. I mean search engine..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is wiby.me a search engine? If so I think I might like me some of that there cuucain.. I mean search engine..

Yep, it is 

Their about page:

In the early days of the web, pages were made primarily by hobbyists, academics, and computer savvy people about subjects they were personally interested in. Later on, the web became saturated with commercial pages that overcrowded everything else. All the personalized websites are hidden among a pile of commercial pages. Google isn't great at finding them, its focus is on finding answers to technical questions, and it works well; but finding things you didn't know you wanted to know, which was the real joy of web surfing, no longer happens. In addition, many pages today are created using bloated scripts that add slick cosmetic features in order to mask the lack of content available on them. Those pages contribute to the blandness of today's web.

The Wiby search engine is building a web of pages as it was in the earlier days of the internet. In addition, Wiby helps vintage computers to continue browsing the web, as pages indexed are more suitable for their performance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Everyone, Arielle is right - just download Brave browser, and YT plays fine with no ads or spinning wheels 👍 

It has a lion head logo, so Love, you should download it 🦁And then you can cancel YT Premium and spend the money you save on more Japanese synths B|

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

It has a lion head logo, so Love, you should download it 🦁And then you can cancel YT Premium and spend the money you save on more Japanese synths B|

lol! YT premium also gave me ad-free on my TV app, and "iPhone app stays open", and the ability to upload videos.

So, I had other benefits besides Ads (I never think about the Ads, since I don't see them).

For at least one of my Streaming services (not YT), I also pay for Premium/"Plus" - but that's more because you have to, in order to get certain shows.

ETA: The Brave website does provide their other benefits besides ad-blocking though!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

My peeve today is also the thing I have learned today. 

A new word.

Cacosmia.

And I have this. Apparently it is something people can get post-covid, and that is why I have got it.

I had no sense of smell then little sense of smell after having covid several weeks ago. I can taste maybe as third as well as I used to be able to and just enjoy food mostly for the sensation of salt and sweet or texturally.

But there has just been this foul smell wherever I've gone (and I am sooooo incredibly fussy about personal hygiene, and where I sit), and it turns out to be cacosmia which, for those who like myself did not know about this, in the Merriam Webster dictionary, is defined as follows:

cacosmia

noun

ca·cos·mia kə-ˈkäs-mē-ə  ka-  
-ˈkäz-

: a hallucination of a disagreeable odor

"A hallucination"! So I am imagining I can smell something like faeces or something burning wherever I go! I checked all the electrical appliances in my house yesterday thinking I had an electrical wire burning somewhere. 

T.M.I.

Peeve peeve peeve

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Sad 4

22 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

My peeve today is also the thing I have learned today. 

A new word.

Cacosmia.

And I have this. Apparently it is something people can get post-covid, and that is why I have got it.

I had no sense of smell then little sense of smell after having covid several weeks ago. I can taste maybe as third as well as I used to be able to and just enjoy food mostly for the sensation of salt and sweet or texturally.

But there has just been this foul smell wherever I've gone (and I am sooooo incredibly fussy about personal hygiene, and where I sit), and it turns out to be cacosmia which, for those who like myself did not know about this, in the Merriam Webster dictionary, is defined as follows:

cacosmia

noun

ca·cos·mia kə-ˈkäs-mē-ə  ka-  
-ˈkäz-

: a hallucination of a disagreeable odor

"A hallucination"! So I am imagining I can smell something like faeces or something burning wherever I go! I checked all the electrical appliances in my house yesterday thinking I had an electrical wire burning somewhere. 

T.M.I.

Peeve peeve peeve

My youngest couldn't taste or smell for a good bit after covid.. He was actually the one that had it the worst..

He had three days of symptoms.. That second day had me not leaving his side for a moment because of him having a hard time breathing.. then it was much better on the third day.. But after, it took a good while for his sense of taste and smell to come back..

He never really said anything about smelling something bad that I can remember.. He's a boy and not even 10 yet.. I don't even think stink bothers them at that age.. At least I don't think so, as much as I have to dig and find what's stinking up a room that they started to eat and ditched in the closet or under the bed or where ever I track it too..

Why they ditch food is beyond me..They aren't gonna get in trouble for having it.. hehehehe

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I used to live near a field full of cows, well probably about a mile away.  Everything stunk of cow poo, after the first few months the the smell kinda vanished.  Well, it didn't I just had become so accustomed to it that I no longer noticed it anymore.  I wonder if the same thing happens with Cacosmia.  If you will just become so familiar with it that it becomes barely noticeable unless you concentrate on it.  

• Like 1