24 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

We're still a bit far off from that, I think. You can definitely tell which bots have the big budgets behind them and which ones...don't. I've seen some in the "write me a..." realm that make me laugh out loud. The emails, stories, invitations, etc. that they wrote actually made me spit water they were so bad/funny. 😂

ChatGPT and other huge projects like that have the money behind them. Other projects aren't so fortunate, but one day - who knows. Maybe they'll all take over, yeah. I can't see them replacing entire industries just yet, but in the future...maybe? Can't wait. *cries inside*

I don't know if anyone else has this going through their mind , but I remember seeing that movie Lawnmower man that a lot of people talk about..  That movie is creepy close to what it feels like they are fiddling with.. Maybe not anytime soon.. But I see it as, why even dance with that devil or even  a distant cousin..

Sometimes I think people that mess with these kinds of things must be like, well I won't be around when all hell breaks loose, so lets do this thing.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I also read that, as ChatGPT doesn't actually "understand" anything, the "training" can be compared to "good dog!", "bad dog!" training. My limited knowledge has me assuming the "trainers" can run a standard set of "training" for each generation (which consumes a new data set); and apparently, "gender bias" training is lacking.

I bet the same issues as with the "doctor" example come up with other professions: lawyer, landscaper, roofer, etc. But, if the language model fixes the "subject/object" confusion, I think the "doctor example" would be fixed separate from gender bias. Scylla, I assume (being an English expert) you also noticed that the "root" issue was picking the wrong subject/object..?

Peeve: misgendering stories, I got 'em!

A really interesting conversation around this happening now, and one that shows both the really wide divides between some disciplines, and the dangers of treading to self-confidently into areas of others' expertise, is between some AI experts who are claiming that LLM approaches such as this provide insights into, and may actually replicate language learning in humans, and linguists who are calling BS on that.

ChatGPT can "speak" with more sophistication than an average two year old. But it can't contextualize in the way that even a young child can . . . and it can't "learn" in nearly the same kinds of complex ways that even the youngest person does.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Thanks Ayashe. This is really valuable insight -- from the inside.

Very welcome! It's a very interesting field, but also quite a concerning one, so I understand your feelings on this. I feel the same way.

24 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I don't know if anyone else has this going through their mind , but I remember seeing that movie Lawnmower man that a lot of people talk about..  That movie is creepy close to what it feels like they are fiddling with.. Maybe not anytime soon.. But I see it as, why even dance with that devil or even  a distant cousin..

Sometimes I think people that mess with these kinds of things must be like, well I won't be around when all hell breaks loose, so lets do this thing.. hehehe

Well, I think things are being done this way just to save money in the long run. Why pay a reservations/guest services agent when we can just toss a robot at the front desk? Why pay fast food workers when we can just automate the process? Why pay phone/chat support when we can just have bots answer basic questions? Pffft, who needs paid moderators - let bots determine if someone's at risk! 

That all sounds great (to somebody), but with that comes very real issues and challenges - none of which are easy or cheap to work out. Maybe sure in the long run it'll save some payroll, but the amount of hours go into training these things...oof.

I think they're fine as basic helpers and assistants. I think it's pretty hilarious when they're trained to take on goofy characters and personalities (tell me a story as a chicken - "Sure! Once upon a time, BAWWKGAAAAWK!..."). Beyond that - count me out. 😂

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Grammaring
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Very welcome! It's a very interesting field, but also quite a concerning one, so I understand your feelings on this. I feel the same way.

Well, I think things are being done this way just to save money in the long run. Why pay a reservations/guest services agent when we can just toss a robot at the front desk? Why pay fast food workers when we can just automate the process? Why pay phone/chat support when we can just have bots answer basic questions? Pffft, who needs paid moderators - let bots determine if someone's at risk! 

That all sounds great (to somebody), but with that comes very real issues and challenges - none of which are easy or cheap to work out. Maybe sure in the long run it'll save some payroll, but the amount of hours go into training these things...oof.

I think they're fine as basic helpers and assistants. I think it's pretty hilarious when they're trained to take on goofy characters and personalities (tell me a story as a chicken - "Sure! Once upon a time, BAWWKGAAAAWK!..."). Beyond that - count me out. 😂

The thing about eliminating jobs is, at the same time it's eliminating customers somewhere from buying something..

We eliminated 1 million jobs this week that bots can now do.. Elsewhere in the market, for some strange reason retail sales have started to slump nation wide..  hehehehe

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The thing about eliminating jobs is, at the same time it's eliminating customers somewhere from buying something..

We eliminated 1 million jobs this week that bots can now do.. Elsewhere in the market, for some strange reason retail sales have started to slump nation wide..  hehehehe

On the plus side, after some adjustments, perhaps we can get shorter work weeks! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

On the plus side, after some adjustments, perhaps we can get shorter work weeks! 

That really only works for the person with the job,  if they can either get a pay increase or work the same hours in a week..

If it's about elimination of that cost to give a shorter week then a lot would need to find other jobs..

I love working 4 days a week and having 3 days off.. But we have to put the extra hours in those 4 days..

My last place I worked wanted to squeeze as much as they could from everyone  of their free time.. So they went 10 hour days 7 days a week..

I just can't see a lot of places not wanting to fill that gap in some way..

ETA: Honestly, I think the goal of so many places is to have robots and bots when it's all said and done.. So many jobs got eliminated because of robots at my last job..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

giphy.gif

I imagine UBI will become a reality in the future, and people will be free to pursue hobbies or work with AI to better the human condition.  Consumerism is not going anywhere, anytime soon, and the only way it will work is with consumers. 

Unless...

giphy.gif

The bots become the consumers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

So many jobs got eliminated because of robots at my last job..

First it was out-sourcing to other countries which happened to my profession but now that profession has been completely eliminated now as a profession altogether as it's all done completely by AI now.  AI has killed the job altogether, even to those it was at first out-sourced too.

I was just thinking about all this you all are talking about, especially in regards to SL.  

I miss jobs opportunities in SL.  I don't know if it's an official peeve or just disheartening not to have jobs in SL like we used too.  I was just thinking we could have AI DJ's in SL soon, or we already do and I didn't even know it.  There is one DJ I do like who sets up unusual sets but he also does this thing where we type what we want to hear as long as it is within the theme he presents and it plays.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That will never happen. 

Capitalism isn't just about putting power in the hands of those with capital, it's about controlling those without.

"We will all be artists" has been a common trope used to soften the blows levied by those in power.

The suffering is the point.

• Like 5

Just heard this week's "Freakanomics Radio" episode, with the topic being "profanity" and it's evolution in our society.

Brought up briefly was the trend for replacement of "taboo" words, example given being the replacement of "homeless" with "unhoused".

Peeve, which was not mentioned in the show: the trend of using "unalived". While I usually assume "unalived" is used to bypass YouTube automated censors for the word "killed", I've got bad news for anyone who thinks they too, may not one day be "unalive". 

22 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

giphy.gif

I imagine UBI will become a reality in the future, and people will be free to pursue hobbies or work with AI to better the human condition.  Consumerism is not going anywhere, anytime soon, and the only way it will work is with consumers. 

Unless...

giphy.gif

The bots become the consumers.

Recently heard about the post-apocalypse robot animated series, "Love Death + Robots". Plus, there's the movie "AI"..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Brought up briefly was the trend for replacement of "taboo" words, example given being the replacement of "homeless" with "unhoused".

Homeless implies fault or personal failing.

Unhoused makes it clear this is a societal problem, which it absolutely is.

As someone who has crashed along the bottom for half her life, and even had it suggested that becoming unalive would be a viable solution, this is a welcome change in language.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Homeless implies fault or personal failing.

Unhoused makes it clear this is a societal problem, which it absolutely is.

As someone who has crashed along the bottom for half her life, and even had it suggested that becoming unalive would be a viable solution, this is a welcome change in language.

Interesting. I would have interpreted the change as avoiding the issue, by using more "soft" language.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Capitalism isn't just about putting power in the hands of those with capital, it's about controlling those without.

My country wants to resurrect the bourgeoisie.  The only way they are attempting to do it right now is through rebuilding our infrastructure that I know of.  This is a 10-year job plan that has been put in place. A headline I read recently was Biden said this plan was working.  I did not read the article though.  

The bourgeoisie were able to afford property so I just don't see that vision happening right now.  It's pretty cloudy still.

It would take a couple at least 3 jobs, if not 4 jobs, between the two of them to afford property where I live.  The price of property and housing is simply not realistic.  

Here is the Act Biden was referring to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrastructure_Investment_and_Jobs_Act

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Confused 1

Peeve: Saw a promoted "Official" post about a user / avatar who is an expert on Kundalini Yoga.

I won't be able to watch it (or read the linked blog entry, etc.), because I'll probably get mad about whatever this person says about Kundalini Yoga.

Peeve: I'm picky about the representation of Kundalini Yoga.  I'd make videos about my own knowledge, but that would peeve someone else. (Duh.) Maybe if I ever reach Enlightenment.

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Kundalini Yoga is the dollar store microwave chocolate muffin of yogas.

( i have no idea, but I'm sure you can go to the event now and just be mad at me)

That would probably be "Iyengar" yoga - more about the "poses" (asanas), popularized in the US in the 70's.  (Dollar store muffin of yogas.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iyengar_Yoga

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

What is all of this chocolate muffin slander going on in hea?!

*conveniently ignores all of the yoga slander and laser focuses on the breakfast slander*

😄

Oh I need a peeve - I have no chocolate muffins (but I do have blueberry muffins - not quite the same thing).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

What is all of this chocolate muffin slander going on in hea?!

*conveniently ignores all of the yoga slander and laser focuses on the breakfast slander*

😄

Oh I need a peeve - I have no chocolate muffins (but I do have blueberry muffins - not quite the same thing).

I think the comparison is apt, a "proper" chocolate muffin should both awaken your Kundalini, and also align your chakras.

• Haha 2

It's getting warmer, hey I can wear short shorts again!! 😃

Oh wait .. not with this winter forest.

Oh wait .. not with this razor burn.

😭

(it's going to be like a week before it stops looking like gravel rash, I used brand new razors too, one for each leg, fml 💀)

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Sad 2

27 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

It's getting warmer, hey I can wear short shorts again!! 😃

Oh wait .. not with this winter forest.

Oh wait .. not with this razor burn.

😭

(it's going to be like a week before it stops looking like gravel rash, I used brand new razors too, one for each leg, fml 💀)

Do you know when it's the right time for short shorts?  Anytime you damn well please.  Wear those shorts and be comfortable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1