2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I have never received disciplinary action here. No wrist slaps.  No threats.  I am sad that a very small percentage of posters are so toxic, that the result for the larger majority is this.

You're probably a "good girl", like my Cinnamon! But a hoo-mon, not a husky. ❤️ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Are you saying that your major peeve is LittleMe's fault? By tagging her, it seemed like it. "I'm peeved because, for example, this OTHER  person is [bored/less engaged/affected]."

What? No.

I'm at a complete loss to understand how you came to this conclusion.

• Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Forums thrive on disagreements.  They languish, as they are now, when the rules for discourse stifle any chance of same.  One doesn't have to read every single post to get a feel for the participants.  It's always the same small cluster of personalities in the thick of every thread gone postal.  I think you're right, Sid, about the pot stirrers.  But the ones that stir the pot perform an important function and without them (or with them gagged) the forum suffers.

Yeah ... without them gagged/disciplined/removed, the forum is suffering right now.

It is one thing to broach a possibly contentious topic or lodge such an opinion on occasion. What some do is quite another and has no place in just about any forum.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I even can't wish you a happy birthday, because you are no Linden, so not Second life or Linden Lab related.

I sense a slight exaggeration.

In any case, I saw a couple new "RIP" threads for residents...

And "Happy Rezday" would certainly be allowed. 

And since THIS thread is "Grandfathered" - many different deviations are apparently allowed. 

I don't want to argue, I am just countering since you keep repeating that certain things are not allowed - as if something will happen should those things be brought up.  For the most part, nothing will happen, if one uses a nice dose of common sense.🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I sense a slight exaggeration.

In any case, I saw a couple new "RIP" threads for residents...

And "Happy Rezday" would certainly be allowed. 

And since THIS thread is "Grandfathered" - many different deviations are apparently allowed. 

I don't want to argue, I am just countering since you keep repeating that certain things are not allowed - as if something will happen should those things be brought up.  For the most part, nothing will happen, if one uses a nice dose of common sense.🙂 

As a point of note/order: A topic being Grandfathered simply makes that specific topic/thread an exception to the new rules. Once such a thread is gone/closed that is it an a new one cannot now be made.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

As a point of note/order: A topic being Grandfathered simply makes that specific topic/thread an exception to the new rules. Once such a thread is gone/closed that is it an a new one cannot now be made.

Hmm, we (not you) had better stop discussing edgy things like moderation, then.  Thanks for the reminder!

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Point blank, since it seems to be being missed: There is no "scrolling past" with some content or users. At all.

We got what we got thanks to that. Thanks to a fair few types that simply could not (or would not) behave.

Even placed on Ignore, they'd continue their shenanigans and someone will eventually take the bait.

Since I keep using the "scroll past" phrase, let me clarify that I am NOT missing your point that it is difficult to impossible, mostly with some USERS. The one person I have in mind from several years ago was a toxic, heat-seeking missile that was in every effing thread, and the prime mover for getting many threads shut down, people leaving (me included), people getting AR'd to the point of getting banned inworld... There were a few of those people.

You are correct. Muting doesn't work, as someone always, as you said, takes the bait. Because of my PTSDs (plural), I know the Forums can, and have, triggered me, and that's never good (and so cannot refuse the bait at times, thankfully that is being healed over the years). I hate those people, and I rarely use that word. They upset me, and they mess up the Forum I use to socialize in. That others (including me) let those people get to us... sigh. That's on us, too. I believe firmly in personal accountability.

Those people, and there were only a handful, are PARTIALLY to blame for what we have now. LL's baby-bathwater dumb reaction is another. It is both, imo.

When I say "easy to scroll past" I will reiterate: If an OP is written clearly as a topic, it should be easy to predict where it could go. THOSE can be, and should be, scrolled past if they are something you don't want to see. I do not include the "white knights" and "people with causes" who cram sheet down people's throats on the same thing, over and over, in every effing thread to be included in that. THOSE people should have their arses fed to them on silver platters by the mods. That wasn't the case back a few years ago. When those people are the same ones who target a specific few other posters? Double dose of the arse feeding. Imho, of course. :)

• Like 2

Despite the back and forth, and some probable dissent, I'm sensing something of a consensus here. I think that the differences in views here are mostly less dramatic than the agreements. We agree that there was a real problem here, and I think we mostly agree that at least some of the posters were generally responsible. (I am also acutely aware that there are a few people who would number me in that group.) And I think mostly we regret the changes that were made, in the sense that we think that they went too far. There are some differences within this consensus, but they are mostly ones of degree rather than fundamental.

For those who come here mostly for discussion that is purely and narrowly about SL -- threads on tech, for instance, or on events, or places in-world -- this all likely seems, for obvious reasons, fine. Those who were here for broader reasons that probably encompassed those things but also included more general "free play" and banter are inevitably less happy.

/me shrugs

I don't think I've a lot more to say about this; it's all been said more eloquently than I could probably manage.

So PET PEEVE:

My computer updated last night and it took about a half an hour this morning to go through all of the nonsense that was necessary to get it running normally again. Grrr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

A good example of a threads with potential to become political, which did not in any way start out political, were the Queen Elizabeth threads.  That some people mentioned 'political policies' as a peeve here when that thread was initially started, shows how easily some can politicize any topic.  That they did it here in the peeves thread really didn't matter since the Queen thread got locked pretty quickly but I could see how it might have ended in a blood bath.   FOR NO REASON.

I know. IF that thread had been allowed to stay up, based on its OP (and since "not SL" it wasn't going to), IF people had kept politics out of it, kept it on topic, then... good grief. But some people just can't. "Why" is beyond me. Here's a concept folks: If you didn't want to mourn the Queen, then stay out of the thread. And IF we could talk politics, THEN those people should start a thread about "why I'm not mourning" and the folks who don't want to read that, or can't conduct themselves like reasonable adults with differing viewpoints should learn to stfu. But they don't. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So PET PEEVE:

My computer updated last night and it took about a half an hour this morning to go through all of the nonsense that was necessary to get it running normally again. Grrr.

Heh, I get that even on Linux. There's a reason why I don't do certain updates unless there's more than a 'simple update to Version X.xx' for those entries ... I have a set of things I do/have to do on each and every boot and I try to keep my poor PC running for at least a week between power cycles.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Heh, I get that even on Linux. There's a reason why I don't do certain updates unless there's more than a 'simple update to Version X.xx' for those entries ... I have a set of things I do/have to do on each and every boot and I try to keep my poor PC running for at least a week between power cycles.

/me hugs my potato PC. No jinx! No jinx!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

since THIS thread is "Grandfathered" - many different deviations are apparently allowed.

I would not trust this too far. For example, the last several pages here (!!) have been a discussion of forum moderation and behavior, which (while it certainly CAUSES peeves) is (arguably) not itself a peeve.

If you folks (yes, all y'all) manage to get my favorite thread nuked, I will be MAJORLY peeved.

Can we please get back to "I put salt in my coffee instead of sugar" issues?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yeah, updates, clean ups and (re) installations are always a pain in the ...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I would not trust this too far. For example, the last several pages here (!!) have been a discussion of forum moderation and behavior, which (while it certainly CAUSES peeves) is (arguably) not itself a peeve.

If you folks (yes, all y'all) manage to get my favorite thread nuked, I will be MAJORLY peeved.

Yes, ma'am.

I'm hoping the general nature of the discussion re: moderation will allow it to stand. (ie: not specific regarding topic, OP, comment, poster) Hard to type about this REAL PEEVE (for some of us) without bringing up all aspects of it.

But sincerely, with a twinkle in my eye, "Yes, ma'am."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Have you ever tried stroopwafels?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Yeah, updates, clean ups and (re) installations are always a pain in the ...

Well, it also always seems to necessitate remembering passwords that I haven't had to use for, in some cases, a year or more.

Yes yes, I know that there are apps for remembering all of one's passwords. But that would require organization.

Organization. Is there an app for that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Peeve: My coffee was too strong this morning. Which is weird since I measure it. It could be that I added an extra scoop. It could be because I added a little cocoa powder, and also am using Half-Half instead of heavy cream. So, it's too dark which may make it SEEM too strong. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: My coffee was too strong this morning. Which is weird since I measure it. It could be that I added an extra scoop. It could be because I added a little cocoa powder, and also am using Half-Half instead of heavy cream. So, it's too dark which may make it SEEM too strong. 

I use coffee pads most of the time, and even then there is always some difference in strength.
I guess it is dependent on how the water exactly drips trough the coffee powder.

Edited by Sid Nagy

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've tried them, but they were peevishly sticky. I prefer krumkake.  Peeve: May have rid myself of the krumkake iron during the last kitchen purge.

Maybe it is the wrong brand you had.
The right brands of stroopwagels are heavenly delicious.
Peeve: they are terrible for the glucose levels in ones blood, and for me being diabetic sadly totally no bueno.

Edited by Sid Nagy

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I use coffee pads most of the time, and even then there is always some difference difference in strength.
I guess it is dependent on how the water exactly drips trough the coffee powder.

This particular machine is an "automatic pour-over". I need to get off my butt and make espresso more often, the machine is languishing.  (I had to lookup "languishing" earlier, to make sure it did not mean "laying back while someone feeds you grapes".)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

Ah yes, I needed a laugh today ...

Making excuses for the usual suspects.

Way to go ...

Oh and not realizing that such topics in general simply do not go well here, with the way things are (currently) and were enforced/set up at the time goes an even longer way - like it or not, some topics simply belong(ed) elsewhere.

Yeah with how the social and political climate is today. Topics of that nature tend to go toxic and astray. And I do agree, that some topics belong on other forums. And enough of the blame game as you said, had we and I say we as in all of us. Maybe been a bit less toxic and attacked each other for differing opinions, and also playing trolls games. This would not have happened. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe it is the wrong brand you had.
The right brands of stroopwagels are heavenly delicious.
Peeve: they are terrible for the sugar levels in ones blood, and for me being diabetic sadly totally no bueno.

I looooooove stroopwafels xD. I can get them at my international grocers aisle and I usually get those, and the dutch chocolate sprinkles and those little dutch toasted buns. Yeah I can thank an ex for getting me into dutch snacks xD. I mean I did like the Speculas before hand, but their snack food is the bomb. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I looooooove stroopwafels xD. I can get them at my international grocers aisle and I usually get those, and the dutch chocolate sprinkles and those little dutch toasted buns. Yeah I can thank an ex for getting me into dutch snacks xD. I mean I did like the Speculas before hand, but their snack food is the bomb. 

Here (US South), they are pre-packaged in the grocery ("supermarket") and also the major drug store chains.  May mean the quality is lacking, but I would not know.

• Like 1