27 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

One of our cats loved to dive her head into my man's armpits.  Although she was taking her life into her paws there!

If my dogs do that, on a walk, to a stranger..I assume the stranger has BO that the dog likes!

Pet peeve: People with BO get more love, doggy style. I mean, my dogs show them more affection. Sheesh!

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

So...is the next mod going around the neck?

c9974ef3664068983da4714a2c63e481.png.4b13958b7fa4099a013bb91733c161a8.png

I've seen a lotta weird body fads in SL, but this one... completely baffles me

might be funny if the texture were of a measuring tape...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Why do we need to slot people into a hierarchy on the basis of frankly arbitrary and nebulous measurements of difficult-to-define qualities?

It's a fundamentally conservative (small c) way of looking at the world, in that it naturalises particular sets of hierarchical social relationships and people's position within them.

I was rather intrigued that Arielle's chart didn't mention any physical characteristics commonly associated with Alpha males -- height, deep voice, good looks, and so on.    Don't those matter?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Peeve: Countries who spell world standard metric measurement units wrongly, even though their country's population doesn't primarily use the metric system.

Wrong: Millimeter, Centimeter, Meter, Kilometer, Ton, Liter.

Correct: Millimetre, Centimetre, Metre, Kilometre, Tonne, Litre.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Don't those matter?

She's probably creating unisex 'Alpha lives matter' - attire  as we type. 

Peeve : Impulsive peeve typists.

Edited by Solo Alpha
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: Countries who spell world standard metric measurement units wrongly, even though their country doesn't use the metric system universally or primarily.

Peeve People who incorrectly use wrongly and assume old French spelling is the only correct spelling to use. :P

ETA : VADE RETRO, ROMANI 

Edited by Solo Alpha

Metre is the standard spelling of the metric unit for length in nearly all English-speaking nations except the United States and the Philippines, which use meter. Other West Germanic languages, such as German and Dutch, and North Germanic languages, such as Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish,  likewise spell the word Meter or meter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Random peeve: Check availability of (insert random piece of kit on wishlist) and (supplier of choice) lists it as out of stock, but expected in three weeks. "Great" you think. That should be the week after payday.

Three weeks later you go check.

Out of stock but expected in 3 weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I suspect the creators are into the Japanese rope tying BDSM. Shibari (had to Google it).

Doubt it. The addons look nothing like it. It would also require far more complex "squish" patterns on the body to match the decorative nature of the designs. It's also not really tied *that* tightly - not as tight as the current trend, anyway.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Added stuffs
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

ok, now I have to kill you.

Part of me hopes you mean that ironically, while another part thinks "hmm, what a way to go out, internet famous!"

Edited by Love Zhaoying
While not why, and DEFINITELY not whilst!
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Peeve: Countries who spell world standard metric measurement units wrongly, even though their country's population doesn't primarily use the metric system.

In England we use metre for the metric measurement of length.

But we also have meter.  This meter is only used as a name for mechanical devices that measure units of things .  Such devices include the speedometer, mileometer, gasometer, anemometer, thermometer etc.

It would seem the mechanical meter name somehow also became the name of a metric metre in the US.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Part of me hopes you mean that ironically, why another part thinks "hmm, what a way to go out, internet famous!"

Part of ME thanks you for giving me a laugh that is all-too-rare in today's world. The other parts outvote it and demand proper retribution for it being such a BAD laugh.

ETA: and yes it SHOULD have been "whilst" you colonial Philistine!

(dont worry, I love you really)

Edited by Da5id Weatherwax
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Metre is the standard spelling of the metric unit for length in nearly all English-speaking nations except the United States and the Philippines, which use meter. Other West Germanic languages, such as German and Dutch, and North Germanic languages, such as Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish,  likewise spell the word Meter or meter.

That's because we don't use metres/meters, we don't even know how it's spelled.  The litre has been slyly making headway though, we frequently see items in the grocery store with litre measurements in addition to our gallons, quarts and pints.  Who knows?  Maybe someday we'll catch up with the rest of the world.

2 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

In England we use metre for the metric measurement of length.

But we also have meter.  This meter is only for mechanical devices that measure units of things .  Such devices include the speedometer, mileometer, gasometer, anemometer, thermometer etc.

aww, cmon - without a proper classical education how can anyone these days be expected recognise the difference between latin-derived and greek-derived words when they sound identical and have related meanings?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

That's because we don't use metres/meters, we don't even know how it's spelled.  The litre has been slyly making headway though, we frequently see items in the grocery store with litre measurements in addition to our gallons, quarts and pints.  Who knows?  Maybe someday we'll catch up with the rest of the world.

If I remember correctly Mars caught up with YOU not so long ago, when you flubbed the conversion factors and cratered a multi-million-dollar lander :P

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

It would seem the mechanical meter name somehow also became the name of a metric metre in the US.

Theory: Since a) English has a lot of different roots including "Germanic", and b) someone previously listed countries that use "meter" including Germany, and c) British English and American English diverged long long ago, THEREFORE I hypothesize that the American English use of "meter" instead of "metre" had perfectly acceptable Germanic or other origins. 

Pet Peeve: fighting a losing battle, trying to pick which hill to die on!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

If I remember correctly Mars caught up with YOU not so long ago, when you flubbed the conversion factors and cratered a multi-million-dollar lander :P

Before that, similar issues plagued the Hubble space telescope.

Peeve: NASA, like LL, is bad at math(s)!

18 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Part of ME thanks you for giving me a laugh that is all-too-rare in today's world. The other parts outvote it and demand proper retribution for it being such a BAD laugh.

ETA: and yes it SHOULD have been "whilst" you colonial Philistine!

(dont worry, I love you really)

Thank you for laughing, I try!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Theory: Since a) English has a lot of different roots including "Germanic", and b) someone previously listed countries that use "meter" including Germany, and c) British English and American English diverged long long ago, THEREFORE I hypothesize that the American English use of "meter" instead of "metre" had perfectly acceptable Germanic or other origins. 

Pet Peeve: fighting a losing battle, trying to pick which hill to die on!

In terms of the theory,  in the USA's early years they had an understandable drive to establish a "baseline" for education - they recognised that they were a melting-pot of different cultures so they "standardised" and "simplified" their "English" spellings. The most obvious of these are the use of "z" instead of "s" fir the hard phoneme in -ise/-ize and the elimination or of the u in things like colo(u)r and neighbo(u)r. but I think the whole meter/metre thing is a symptom of the same

• Like 2