16 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

The lasting one that actually preserves threads, of course.. :|

I don't know what this means, TDD

There's something to be said for preserving mistakes and awfulness, rather than sanitizing and pretending it never happened. But not always.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's something to be said for preserving mistakes and awfulness, rather than sanitizing and pretending it never happened. 

I expect no less from corporate culture. I cannot expect you to do the same.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Solo Alpha said:

Yeah, I got fed up switching browsers .. :P

I dunno. I would have gone with Hans Alpha. 

You know.

Hans Solo

Solo = Alpha

Hans Alpha

Yeah ok, I know. Too weird.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
Not going to bother editing the typo since LL in its infinite "wisdom" nixed using strike through on the edit window.
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Solo = Alpha

Eh?

Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet (hence, 'alphabet') - when referring to something as being 'alpha' it usually refers to 'first'. Not sure how first =/= solo? 

.. Also, his name is 'Han Solo', not 'Hans' .. 

Just now, Orwar said:

Eh?

Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet (hence, 'alphabet') - when referring to something as being 'alpha' it usually refers to 'first'. Not sure how first =/= solo? 

.. Also, his name is 'Han Solo', not 'Hans' .. 

Solo is singular. So being the first means you are singular. 

Yeah... that darn s keeps sneaking in there.

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I must have been having too much fun or something because you did quote me. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten the notice. 😛

You didn't miss anything. I was just droning on about the new name that Solo Alpha chose, realising I was talking about him behind his back as it were, or on his behalf, and really I don't know what goes on in his head. 

• Haha 1

A little torn on this peeve, but .. Unrigged bangs. I mean, okay, I get it, making them optional is great. But for the most part they're a bit two-dimensional and will either clip with cheek bones or the eyelash alpha, and you need to position and rotate them so that they work out of the hair itself without doing any of that - and that can be pretty fiddly. Then some hairs come with 2 separate bangs for either side and just. Well. Are twice as time-consuming to get right, 'cause of course you can't just reverse the numbers on where you ended up putting the first one - but you do have to make sure that it looks, if not perfectly mirrored, at least natural and proper. 

One would think that, with how many hairs these days already come with style HUDs, it would be much easier to just have them rigged and that you're able to toggle their visibility .. Then again, they'd probably be rigged in such a way that for a lot of people, they'd clip with something one way or another.

On the other hand, I do like that I can nab some bangs from one hairstyle and pop them on another and play around with it. 

But the whole process of looking at your avi's face and aligning the bangs until they look great, only to move the cam a little and realise they're floating 2 inches in front of your hairline .. Bleh!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Because it's  "cute" and "girly."

Seriously. That's it. That's the reason.

It's neither cute nor "girly" since boys can be pigeon toed, too.

In cases of metatarsus adductus, the symptoms are easy to see at birth or soon afterward. One or both of your baby’s feet will be turned inward, even at rest. You may notice the outer edge of the foot is curved, almost in a crescent shape. Internal tibial torsion may not be as obvious until your child starts walking. You may notice that one or both of their feet turn inward with every step. Medial femoral torsion may be noticeable after age 3, but obvious signs are usually present by age 5 or 6. In many cases, the foot and knee both turn in as your child walks. It may also be obvious even when your child stands in place. Children with medial femoral torsion often sit with their legs flat on the floor and their feet out to either side in a “W” shape. There is a related condition called out-toeing. It describes feet that turn outward. The same bone development problems that lead to intoeing can also cause out-toeing.

https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/pigeon-toes

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's neither cute nor "girly" since boys can be pigeon toed, too.

https://www.healthline.com/health/parenting/pigeon-toes

Ain't disagreeing with you. But I hope you'll have noted the scare quotes around "girly" and "cute." We're not talking about objective fact: this is about cultural perception. It seems to have derived most immediately from Japanese anime and kawaii, but in general there is a long tradition in many cultures of "awkward" feet position, footwear, and walking styles designating female "cuteness" and also, sometimes, a somewhat elite status.

"if you’ve spent any time in Japan, you may have noticed that many Japanese women have a very distinctive “pigeon-toed” way of walking, with their toes pointed inward. It’s a very common sight, and supposedly the main reason why a large number of women walk this way is simply because they think it looks cute." (https://soranews24.com/2015/02/04/the-number-one-thing-that-foreign-men-find-not-so-kawaii-about-japanese-women/)

6.jpg

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ain't disagreeing with you. But I hope you'll have noted the scare quotes around "girly" and "cute." We're not talking about objective fact: this is about cultural perception. It seems to have derived most immediately from Japanese anime and kuwaii, but in general there is a long tradition in many cultures of "awkward" feet position, footwear, and walking styles designating female "cuteness" and also, sometimes, a somewhat elite status.

"if you’ve spent any time in Japan, you may have noticed that many Japanese women have a very distinctive “pigeon-toed” way of walking, with their toes pointed inward. It’s a very common sight, and supposedly the main reason why a large number of women walk this way is simply because they think it looks cute." (https://soranews24.com/2015/02/04/the-number-one-thing-that-foreign-men-find-not-so-kawaii-about-japanese-women/)

6.jpg

I was taught (back when mothers taught such things) to always stand with one foot just slightly in front of the other, angled outward about 10 or so degrees, hands either clasped in front or left at the sides.  She also had us walking around with a book balanced on our heads.  She called it proper deportment.  A lost art?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I was taught (back when mothers taught such things) to always stand with one foot just slightly in front of the other, angled outward about 10 or so degrees, hands either clasped in front or left at the sides.  She also had us walking around with a book balanced on our heads.  She called it proper deportment.  A lost art?

"Proper deportment," definitely a lost art. But it was also of course really about "how to look like an acceptable (and attractive and desirable) girl."

I'd get admonished for fidgeting or goofing around, but in terms of how I stood and walked, I was self-taught. I affected to be a bit "punkish" as a teen, so I'd stand around looking "tough" (OMG, but I sure wasn't, though). How I walked in my Docs and work boots was every bit as much a part of my "costume" as my old army surplus jacket.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ain't disagreeing with you. But I hope you'll have noted the scare quotes around "girly" and "cute." We're not talking about objective fact: this is about cultural perception. It seems to have derived most immediately from Japanese anime and kuwaii, but in general there is a long tradition in many cultures of "awkward" feet position, footwear, and walking styles designating female "cuteness" and also, sometimes, a somewhat elite status.

6.jpg

Just when I start to think there might be hope yet for the human race, then you have to go and squash it.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

"Proper deportment," definitely a lost art. But it was also of course really about "how to look like an acceptable (and attractive and desirable) girl."

I'd get admonished for fidgeting or goofing around, but in terms of how I stood and walked, I was self-taught. I affected to be a bit "punkish" as a teen, so I'd stand around looking "tough" (OMG, but I sure wasn't, though). How I walked in my Docs and work boots was every bit as much a part of my "costume" as my old army surplus jacket.

I still think it's important how one carries themselves.  I'll admit all the proper standing and such went out the window as a teen.  However, when I became an adult, I found myself remembering what I learned.  Don't slouch, hold your head up, don't fidget.  I believe it's still something important and not necessarily tied to being attractive or desirable.  Just adult.  Men and women both.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I still think it's important how one carries themselves.  I'll admit all the proper standing and such went out the window as a teen.  However, when I became an adult, I found myself remembering what I learned.  Don't slouch, hold your head up, don't fidget.  I believe it's still something important and not necessarily tied to being attractive or desirable.  Just adult.  Men and women both.

Oh, totally. If only for one's health.

But, again, standing without slouching, not fidgeting (something else that is sometimes associated with "girlishness"), holding your head up -- that "means" looking adult.

And as I actually sort of do want to look adult, I do those things.

Except when I'm wearing an army surplus jacket and Docs, of course. 🙂

• Like 1