Use and abuse of Linden Lab logo?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I noticed a strange logo that includes linden Lab's and was wondering if this is allowed. The Linden Lab logo is trademark protected of course, but these people seem not to know it.

It is a logo used by SLEA with which they filled the entire arrival area. Since it is also crap I was wondering if Linden Lab is aware of it or it is an abuse. .

this ugly logo is also visible here, for example (at right in image): 309629141_475970121242434_28686298238640

I will not go into aesthetic considerations, the logo is obviously designed by a beginner (and it is very serious problem for an official initiative that would like to represent art in Second Life), but what is the point? don't they see that tm inserted next to the Second Life logo? crazy things. Personally I think it is illegal, but I would like some opinions.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 4

18 minutes ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

I noticed a strange logo that includes linden Lab's and was wondering if this is allowed. The Linden Lab logo is trademark protected of course, but these people seem not to know it.

It is a logo used by SLEA with which they filled the entire arrival area. Since it is also crap I was wondering if Linden Lab is aware of it or it is an abuse. .

this ugly logo is also visible here, for example (at right in image): 309629141_475970121242434_28686298238640

I will not go into aesthetic considerations, the logo is obviously designed by a beginner (and it is very serious problem for an official initiative that would like to represent art in Second Life), but what is the point? don't they see that tm inserted next to the Second Life logo? crazy things. Personally I think it is illegal, but I would like some opinions.

Maybe.

Thank you for participating on the Forum.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The SLEA was actually created by LL some years ago, and is very much endorsed by the company.

This is wholly appropriate.

Yes, this i know, but this logo is appropriate and approved by LL? I have some doubts about, and i am asking info.

Edited by Melian Ishelwood

3 hours ago, Tarani Tempest said:

Research.  A two second google search would have made your post unnecessary:

https://secondlife.com/destination/slea

this has nothing to do with my question, try again or at least read the question. in anycase, use google more weel, this is the official logo (30 seconds search)

SL_Logos-Arts_Logo.png.1d4737eb453fd9aae

Edited by Melian Ishelwood
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

this ugly logo is also visible here, for example (at right in image):

Have you tried contacting the Linden who created the group that you joined in order to use the LEA sandbox?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Have you tried contacting the Linden who created the group that you joined in order to use the LEA sandbox?

No one linden created a anything ,  and I didn't ask anyone apart from the forum, thinking there for sure someone knows. evidently I was wrongi . maybe you don't know but there is an official logois  which is not the one shown. this:

9 minutes ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

No one linden created a anything ,  and I didn't ask anyone apart from the forum, thinking there for sure someone knows. evidently I was wrongi . maybe you don't know but there is an official logois  which is not the one shown. this:

Which also contains the trademarked hand, which suggests that the LEA has permission to use it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Did you really make a whole fresh account to try and drop a dime on a non-profit art collective? Petty.

FYI...that's New Resident on the forums.  Everyone gets that tag here, regardless of Account age, when they post for the first time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

If you go to their website...SLEA Week At A Glance, October 1, 2022 - SLEA (slearts.com)

You will see the same picture as you posted as well as a list of Who is Who which includes...

Second Life Endowment for The Arts Team

SLEA Linden Lab Team:

Brett Linden

Patch Linden

Strawberry Linden 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From a design standpoint, the critique of the logo usage isn't wrong. The placement is way too crowded and it doesn't seem to follow best practices brand guidelines. Typically, companies are very strict when it comes to logo usage, even within the same company/approved usage. They want space around the logo, for example, and a certain size. To simply slap the official SL logo inside SLEA is just sloppy and lazy, clearly not designed by a graphic designer. SLEA logo could incorporate SL logo in a much cleaner way, giving balance to both.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

From a design standpoint, the critique of the logo usage isn't wrong. The placement is way too crowded and it doesn't seem to follow best practices brand guidelines. Typically, companies are very strict when it comes to logo usage, even within the same company/approved usage. They want space around the logo, for example, and a certain size. To simply slap the official SL logo inside SLEA is just sloppy and lazy, clearly not designed by a graphic designer. SLEA logo could incorporate SL logo in a much cleaner way, giving balance to both.

How's the feng shui?

• Haha 4

Thanks to everyone for participating, but no one answered the miw question and someone even invented exotic very imaginative topics.

The question is simple: we have a logo with trademark (important detail this tm) created by Linden Lab, we have another one definitely not created by Linden Lab that also includes the official LL brand. is it legal? no, it is not and I personally doubt that Linden Lab is aware of it. Try to do it with Apple brands, for example. The courts are full of such cases. I don't think even those of slea are aware of it, but it is something that can cost a lot of money. My intention in the case was to warn slea, but I see that in the forum unfortunately you do not even understand the question. Hello everyone.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

46 minutes ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

The question is simple: we have a logo with trademark (important detail this tm) created by Linden Lab, we have another one definitely not created by Linden Lab that also includes the official LL brand. is it legal? no, it is not and I personally doubt that Linden Lab is aware of it. Try to do it with Apple brands, for example. The courts are full of such cases. I don't think even those of slea are aware of it, but it is something that can cost a lot of money. My intention in the case was to warn slea, but I see that in the forum unfortunately you do not even understand the question. Hello everyone.

Actually, what's happening here is that your not reading peoples responses and realizing that SLEA and LL are basically the same people and therefore cannot break their own trademark/copyright. 

As Rowan pointed out the SLEA team consists of LL employees. So the idea LL are not aware is.....highly dubious. 

Edited by AnnabelleApocalypse
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Melian Ishelwood said:

Thanks to everyone for participating, but no one answered the miw question and someone even invented exotic very imaginative topics.

What's happening here is your initial question was answered and you were too self important to accept the truth. Then you added your pretentious art opinion that only one other pretentious art critic agreed with. Your opinion isn't fact, get a deck of cards and deal with it. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.