New Metaverse Depiction in The Good Fight S6E1

Love Zhaoying

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder if puppetry will introduce the possibility of having your avatar assaulted in a personal manner. Let's say you are standing in a place and someone comes and pretends to be rubbing your butt by using their puppetry controlled arms. Will we need some controls to prevent that or will it simply be excused as "it's just a bunch of avatars having fun" type of thing.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

I wonder if puppetry will introduce the possibility of having your avatar assaulted in a personal manner. Let's say you are standing in a place and someone comes and pretends to be rubbing your butt by using their puppetry controlled arms. Will we need some controls to prevent that or will it simply be excused as "it's just a bunch of avatars having fun" type of thing.

Interesting that neither the plaintiff or the judge merely took off their goggles / logged out. Such a Metaverse would definitely need a quick "panic" / logout / Home control.  I was also surprised how the case turned out, not unusual for the series.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

It definitely will be a thing to certain griefers, but I doubt LL will even implement deterrents as that would be a heavy-ish overhead to track/combat server side, IMO.

Do you want personal space bubbles like in Meta - Horizons?

We already have griefers that can use HUDs to follow people and/or exercise various nasty animations/sounds/particles in close proximity to a target.

In the last Puppetry meeting, I mentioned the need for new permissions IF the capabilities evolve to the point where one user can grab another user's hands or body parts and move them around or keep them locked together, although no one responded to it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Isn't Metaverse a LL buzz word for 'lock the thread' lately because not about Second Life?

It should be fine to use this word with a lowercase m, especially in reference to Neil Stephenson's book Snow Crash or to Second Life itself, as was done in this article by SLATE.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I wonder if puppetry will introduce the possibility of having your avatar assaulted in a personal manner.

We have that now, with "predator HUDs." Both parties have to get into position to be assaulted properly. Even then the alignment is poor.

Unless we get body part collisions good enough that you can punch somebody and they notice, this is unlikely to be all that effective. People can be annoying now. This just improves the visual quality of being annoying.

I'm plugging for the puppetering system passing body dimensions around, so that we can finally get sitting to align automatically and couples animations to line up. No more fussing with "Adjust" menus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my "humble opinion", Second Life is a Metaverse. (My iPhone auto-capitalized the word.)

Linden Lab was doing the metaverse thing long before it was the current topic everywhere.

Just think --- next year while we will be celebrating SL20B, more outfits will try to start their own "metaverses."

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In my "humble opinion", Second Life is a Metaverse. (My iPhone auto-capitalized the word.)

4 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Linden Lab was doing the metaverse thing long before it was the current topic everywhere.

I'm sure there was a site called Metaverse TV, which was all SL content, around 2010 or 2011...I remember watching a SL fashion show on it because someone I knew was on it, but it was very laggy (more than SL!) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, animats said:

No more fussing with "Adjust" menus.

Adjusting is never going to not be a thing.

5 hours ago, animats said:

Since puppeteering should be up for SL20B, there should be lots of performances with good actors and good tracking. All streamed to YouTube.

This could be LL's moment of rebirth.

Theme: We are the metaverse.

Considering how long the previous major features took to implement, I have my doubts it will be ready(completed) in a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.