Who's Playing Whom?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see it quite differently.  I'm coming from way back when RA was running rampant with no moderation......it was a jungle and never should have been allowed to degrade to that point.  We lost that forum and got a "new" forum (that old Jive one) and many (I mean many) of the RA forumites were totally pissed off..........Scylla being one of the most vocal.  It was ugly...........so ugly I even stopped most of my activities in the "General Discussion" section and concentrated on the two forums I really enjoyed most.  LL tried a very flawed experiment with software moderation (I did get envolved in the effort to end that practice.....but not by posting and ranting and pushing any limit of the terms of use........I wrote emails to Lindens.  How effective my efforts were is unknown but we do now have this forum without software moderation).  Now we are here.  We have real, living moderators.  When we all first arrived here it was the exact same people who were on the Jive forum......and pissed off once again.  Those moderators had a very difficult job..........to moderate a group of people who refuse to be moderated (many who were with me on the RA forums where there was no moderation).  It took time but those who refuse moderation left..........and that, I'm convinced, was LL's desire. 

So, now we have a reasonably moderated forum.........I don't like the way it's set up or the style but I do like the moderation.  All that pushing the limits, boundaries, calling out of the Lindens did not change the forums.  It was the fact the LL finally understood that a forum is important and that it must be properly moderated.........otherwise you get what we had.  All the pushing the limit, as noble as you want to make it sound, probably did contribute to what we have now........but not the way you think.  It's the limit pushers who made the old forums what they were.......it's the others who make it what it is now.  I'll call out the limit pushers every time...........sadly that includes Scylla.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

I guess I mistook what you said... I do agree, be adult. But please, don't stop pushing boundaries. I want us to have adult conversations here (I don't mean lewd). If no one had ever pushed the mods to let up a little, we'd be living in disney **bleep**ing bleach land. That
could
be fun, but it could also get old really quick.

Cheers... Dres

I don't know if the mods were 'pushed' so much as made aware. I do know there were a lot of posts and a lot of threads (I liked the 'disney' ref, by the way; one of Deltango's that got a lot of attention) that took issue with not just the structure but the tone of the new forums. Things have changed more than we realize since March. The Disneyficaction (that can't be the right spelling). The Unqueering thread. The introduction of the proposed LBGTI subsection (which really pushed a lot of buttons, mine included). That all seems in the past, possibly even in the distant past.

It's better now. We do have adult conversations about adult matters. As I have said ad nauseum, the openess and acceptance and tolerance is  the thing I love most about Second Life. It seems to me the forums as they now exist are a place where that same tolerance can be expressed in ways that the whole world can see.

If none of us had spoken up, if none of us had complained, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

Edited for punctuation. And case, as it turns out.

Tedius? Check!

Unimagininative? Um, I think I had a few odd posts that where imagination based and it was obvious. Some subtle argument posts as well...but otherwise, check!

Ungrammatical? Check-agian, more of even more: checks on or upon the skills there of!

I have a HUGE several paragraph like 3000 word text bit that is all about stuff that starts of with identity, then ads other ponderings in and morphs these into almost the same sort of thing....all about identity, names and basic instincts.....I deleted it. Why bother, my grammar and lack of writtign ability masks any neatness to the whole sort of thing. It all just looks simple and dumb.

Anyway...uh, yeah a summary: Tally Ho! The thrill of the hunt and so on, waht a name...yadda yadda.

One note. You do realise that when AI hits the scene in a big way this post might mean more to peoples lives. Until then, it is funny to see that someone will spend so much time and not see it as a loss! I mean, don't they feel as if they could do better with thier time?

Dillon Levenque wrote:

If none of us had spoken up; if none of us had complained, maybe that wouldn't have happened.

My point exactly, if we had just excepted things as they were, we wouldn't be where we are now. That's what I'm talking about when I say pushing boundaries... I wasn't saying we all had to be a**holes, spewing out filth and vile. Peggy's right about the old forum, there was a lot of very mean spirited interchanges going on... we absolutely needed more human moderation.

But there's a difference between pushing limits and just plain being nasty. I think Peggy may have just  connected the two, which wasn't the way I meant it at all.

I do wonder about the future of the forums now that (if what I've heard is correct) Amanda's gone. I think we are going down the right track, and that was the point of the original letter that was posted to that blog which contained the comment Scylla quoted in her OP.

...Dres

"If none of us had spoken up, if none of us had complained, maybe that wouldn't have happened."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Agree. The key to success is how to speak up. To be effective, one must formulate a clear and convincing argument. Shouting gets one absolutely nowhere. The problem is that shouting is easy. Formulating a clear and convincing argument is hard work.

Deltango Vale wrote:

Agree. The key to success is
how
to speak up. To be effective, one must formulate a clear and convincing argument. Shouting gets one absolutely nowhere. The problem is that shouting is easy.
Formulating a clear and convincing argument is hard work.

I have people that do that for me ;-)

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

....This is not your forum, this is not your playground, this is not the old Resident Answers that you and a few other thought were your personal kingdom.  The world has changed.  Linden Lab took back their forum.......the forum they owned from the very beginning.....

TITCR

It is heartening to read how much better others think the forum has become since the last GDF (and predecessors). Yes, there were several voices that pitched in, pointed out, argued for, compromised, persuaded LL to take actions to improve things. There were other voices that fell silent and waited (or not). This 'place' belongs to everyone. Welcome.

The father of a friend of mine used to write crackpot letters to the editor of our local newspaper.

Somehow the newspaper survived.

Similarly, I don't see how this person's outbursts are supposed to affect us in any way.

Also, as far as I can see, the number of posts per day here is on the rise.
His declaration only provided grist for the mill.

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I want a bouncing F too!!

did you make that? hehehehe

oh wait maybe i don't want one..whats it stand for? hehehehe:matte-motes-evil-invert:

The F stands for female
:)
 Many forums display gender icons, and the blue "M" symbol kind of looks like that. I wanted to have something more feminine in my badge to offset the masculine blue icon (as well as the line "recognized member" below it, which makes it even worse for some reason). I didn't really make it myself though, it's just a modified version of this bouncy smiley:
b_pink.gif

Feel free to use it if you like
 Here's one without elf ears:
Bouncy F.gif

Aw thank you Ishy i love it =)

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ishtara Rothschild wrote:

Ceka Cianci wrote:

I want a bouncing F too!!

did you make that? hehehehe

oh wait maybe i don't want one..whats it stand for? hehehehe:matte-motes-evil-invert:

The F stands for female. Many forums display gender icons, and the blue "M" symbol kind of looks like that. I wanted to have something more feminine in my badge to offset the masculine blue icon (as well as the line "recognized member" below it, which makes it even worse). I didn't really make it myself though, it's just a modified version of this bouncy smiley:
b_pink.gif

Feel free to use it if you like
 Here's one without elf ears:
Bouncy F.gif

/me wonders if Ishtara can make him a bouncing 'C'?  

Hey Ceka, do you want to ask me what the 'C' stands for? :matte-motes-bored:

Ok what does the C stand for? heheheh

Ossian wrote:

I get that same impression. People are posting a lot of stuff now, very little of it hostile, snippy, or condescending. And they're posting in multiple subforums.

The depature of a few key 'poke fun at people just to be clever' types has greatly improved the environment for the rest of the community - and now you're seeing new members here coming out of the shadows and taking part.

My feeling that the number of posts is increasing is just an impression,
so yeah, I could be wrong, but...

In previous months, the highs for daily post counts were around 500,
and the lows were around 300.

Since the reorganization of the forums at the start of this month,
the highs are closer to 600 (and went over 600 last Saturday),
and the lows are generally above 400.

So... I can't really predict, but it looks like things are shifting upward.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Ossian wrote:

I get that same impression. People are posting a lot of stuff now, very little of it hostile, snippy, or condescending. And they're posting in multiple subforums.

The depature of a few key 'poke fun at people just to be clever' types has greatly improved the environment for the rest of the community - and now you're seeing new members here coming out of the shadows and taking part.

I'm also getting the same impression. Although also it's pretty obvious some of the seemingly new posters are alts of older members, but maybe a fresh start will be good for them, if they can move away from their old habits of self-destruction.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ossian wrote:

snip

Give us more Ossian.  Why do you think the numbers are on the rise?  What prompted your participation in this thread?  Will you post more?   

As to why I posted... I do keep track of what's going on here. I have a script that lists recent posts,

and I read the ones that pique my interest.  I don't post often, but I never stopped posting or following.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

Agreed, and how cool is that?

I will toss out some 'analysis'. I think that 1) moderation has 'moderated' (i.e, been less heavy-handed), 2) there are far, far fewer (any?) nasty arguments, and 3) people can find things a bit easier since the forums have been reorganized. All three make for a better environment. People who like this type of environment do and will come here to read and post. More readers...more posters...numbers rise. Not bad for a bit over three months into this new version of the forum.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4739 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.