Who's Playing Whom?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

In my case, it's purely subjective and wholly unquantified, but lately I'm increasingly feeling that these forums are worth posting to again, and whether there really are more posts or not, there certainly seem to be more posts fit to read, anyway.

I admit it: For me, one reason I'm encouraged about the future here is the conspicuous absence of certain posters.  They made it feel childish and slightly disgusting to read -- let alone post to -- the official forums, for a reign of terror during which they fed each other and filled the forum with a recursively self-referential swirl of indulgent crap.  There was no ignoring them until they went away -- their posts had become the forums.  Whatever moderation it took to sideline them, I'm glad they're gone.

There is, however, a whiff of that repulsive indulgence in this thread.  Not that it needs to be expunged or anything, but one hopes it remains as quaintly irrelevant and out-of-place as it is now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qie Niangao wrote:

There is, however, a whiff of that repulsive indulgence in this thread.  Not that it needs to be expunged or anything, but one hopes it remains as quaintly irrelevant and out-of-place as it is now.

Thanks Qie. 

While it was not my intent to start any drama here, I agree with your comment, and wish, in hindsight, that I hadn't posted it.

I don't delete my own posts, but I will accept the admonishment. The last thing I want, truly, is to infect these forums with the kind of personal bashing we had in the past, and this post may have the unintended consequence of doing that.

Thanks Qie.

While it was not my intent to start any drama here, I agree with your comment, and wish, in hindsight, that I hadn't posted it.

I don't delete my own posts, but I will accept the admonishment. The last thing I want, truly, is to infect these forums with the kind of personal bashing we had in the past, and this post may have the unintended consequence of doing that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People might wonder how I can be at odds with you on so many subjects, yet still like and respect you at the same time.

Well said Scylla.

Holy smokes, I can't believe it's been over 2 weeks since I last posted in the forum! RL has been front and center for a bit so I haven't had the chance to participate here since the recent reorganization of subforums and re-introduction of GD. But I was pointed toward the latter half of this thread in particular as being a good representation of the fact that people are generally pleased with the new state of the forum and find it an improvement over the old GD. I can't wait to dive back a bit more into the new GD and make that same discovery for myself.

Not just the new GD section, Quinn, although that is a wonderful addition. We can talk about things not necessarily related to SL, but since we are who we are the SL connection is always there in some form even if it is only the knowledge that the post was made by a resident.

A lot of the comments in this thread pointed out how much the forums in general have improved. The (what appeared to be much too heavy-handed) language moderation has eased. Topics that seemed to raise official eyebrows three months ago are now almost common. And all of that was done while not allowing any of the sort of thing that many of us found so unpleasant in the old GD forum to even gain a toehold here. This has become a place where anyone can speak up, can get involved, can learn.

It's too bad you missed the way this particular thread evolved because I know you would have been happy with the process.

Well, welcome back Quinn, please dive back in, the water's fine (most of the sharks are gone... lol).

My mother is a teacher and I've heard her talk about how when she gets a new class she has to be extra strict at first so the kids know she can't be walked all over, but after some time she can lighten up and foster a more pleasant, relaxed environment. I believe this is kind of what has happened in regards to moderation here. It seems to have worked out well.

And getting the GD forum back was a most pleasant surprise. I can't count how many times I've stated in various threads that we needed a place here that would facilitate the feeling of community that this forum so glaringly lacked. This, plus the little bit of consolidation they enacted, goes a long way toward achieving this goal.

...Dres

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.