Does SL Have an Intelligentsia?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Based on a purely non-scientific, non-random reading of the tea leaves, I suspect that there are many others here who could say the same.  But won't.  😎

Yep, I got bored with the tests and went out to play with a three -eyed toad to find an alternative reality.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Based on a purely non-scientific, non-random reading of the tea leaves, I suspect that there are many others here who could say the same.  But won't.  😎

I have never done an IQ test, and never been invited to MENSA, so I've sadly never had the opportunity to splutter with laughter while ripping up the invite.

Can someone send me one via DM? I'm suddenly feeling under-privileged.

• Sad 1

Trying to parse this, from Russia...

Vladimir Putin has expressed his view on the social duty of intelligentsia in modern Russia.

We should all be aware of the fact that when revolutionary—not evolutionary—changes come, things can get even worse. The intelligentsia should be aware of this. And it is the intelligentsia specifically that should keep this in mind and prevent society from radical steps and revolutions of all kinds. We've had enough of it. We've seen so many revolutions and wars. We need decades of calm and harmonious development.[27]

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
52 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Looking up the word "intelligentsia" I came across this:

From the article I gather that it has little to do with intellectualism or IQ but rather what we in the west might call a social justice warrior. I think S/L has them yes but whether we need them is a good question.

This is . . . highly debatable.

guardian angel.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:
20 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

BTW I had an invitation from Mensa, but I rejected too.

6 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Unlike the mouthy (insecure or ego maniacs) who do/have/will! :D

This is why Groucho's motivations are as suspect as my own. Do I tell people I reject Mensa as a way of suggesting I'm better than they are? Do I tell people I reject Mensa because they actually rejected me? ("I hate ice-cream" after dropping my cone on the ground.) Do I claim to be nefarious to get people to think I'm not? Did my father refuse to reveal his IQ with the expectation his reasoning would lead everyone to believe he was brilliant?

Get back to me when you have the answers. Be prepared to show your work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

IQ alone says very little.
I once had a boy in my class with a high tested IQ, but his only interest was the old tractor he and his dad would drive for the fun in the evenings.
In the end he became a car mechanic and owns a repair shop now.
There are high IQ bus drivers and garbage men.
Social capacities are very important as well.

BTW I had an invitation from Mensa, but I rejected too.

My son is the same way.  He tested extremely high but his grades rarely reflected that.  He struggled his entire school career with getting his thoughts from his brain to the paper so any essay questions on any tests, he just skipped.  Term papers?  Not done at all.  It was only after he was allowed a scribe when taking test that he really showed his potential.  Not everyone can learn the same.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is why Groucho's motivations are as suspect as my own. Do I tell people I reject Mensa as a way of suggesting I'm better than they are? Do I tell people I reject Mensa because they actually rejected me? ("I hate ice-cream" after dropping my cone on the ground.) Do I claim to be nefarious to get people to think I'm not? Did my father refuse to reveal his IQ with the expectation his reasoning would lead everyone to believe he was brilliant?

200w.gif

ETA. I'm giving y'all a real time example of what happens to your IQ when you post in memes and gifs... ie ↓

Edited by Seicher Rae

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Do you gleefully claim the credit (and blame) for doing nefarious things under the assumption that doing so will cast suspicion away from yourself?

Well, yes, you have, and do.

The answers to the rest of your questions are apparent by means of the application of analogy and inference.

4 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

This is taking on the tenor of one of Scylla's "I want to be a SL modal" threads.

Not complaining.

Coincidentally, Maddy's is indeed a "Modal Dialog".  

In programming terms, this is a message, window, or dialog box that won't let you do anything until you confirm or acknowledge it.

@Madelaine McMasters, you're a Pop-up!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
How weaselly!
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have never done an IQ test

Same. I loathe tests to begin with. There's a reason why I always gravitated to classes that made me write or submit full-on art/design projects for grades.

Too many years spent crying during math tests in middle and high school. 😂 I can't do basic math or deal with numbers to save my life, so I doubt I'm getting invited into anything.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Too many years spent crying during math tests in middle and high school. 😂 I can't do basic math or deal with numbers to save my life, so I doubt I'm getting invited into anything.

And you never thought to make eyes at the Math teacher?

The only "maths" teacher I remembered - I almost failed that course because I was using the time to study Computer stuffs instead. 

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

And you never thought to make eyes at the Math teacher?

The only "maths" teacher I remembered - I almost failed that course because I was using the time to study Computer stuffs instead. 

Nope. I was too busy being absolutely devastated. I could pull As and Bs in every single class BUT math, so my GPA was always held back, which frustrated me sooooo much. The instant I broke out of high school (lol, like it was a jail or something), my GPA went up over 3.6 and topped off at 4.0. But that's because I could sneak my way around not taking any real math classes. 😂

If being a part of the SL intelligentsia requires working with fractions, I'll happily sit that one out.

• Like 5

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

If being a part of the SL intelligentsia requires working with fractions, I'll happily sit that one out.

No don't think it requires fractions.

I think it requires being able to look outside your own perspective...to grab a meta-level perspective with more objectivity.

The trouble is, that's very hard to do. And when we think we are objective usually we are not.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Nope. I was too busy being absolutely devastated. I could pull As and Bs in every single class BUT math, so my GPA was always held back, which frustrated me sooooo much. The instant I broke out of high school (lol, like it was a jail or something), my GPA went up over 3.6 and topped off at 4.0. But that's because I could sneak my way around not taking any real math classes. 😂

it was Geometry that did me in, those Goddamn "Proofs".  I didn't really care about opposite angles and all that.

Anyway, the teacher gave me a "D minus minus walking a tightrope without a net" - because she saw potential in me.  I didn't have to retake the class, and became a relatively successfully programmer!  Shows you, she was smarter than I looked.

• Like 3

Just now, kali Wylder said:

and just because one is paranoid does not necessarily mean they aren't out to get you one

Of course they're not.  Everything will be OK. (I hear that's a popular thing to say when soothing people, although it sounds like BS to me!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In answer to the OP, I don't believe there is anything like an intelligentsia in SL but there are quite a few lovers of gossip.

ETA: also those overly concerned with their own importance and position.

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 644 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.