SL new user retention, expectation and usability

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is that the one where they have you do the double security stuff at login?

I've only had the special Authentication prompt twice, it remembers me and/or my PC pretty well.  (I used the Google Auth app for it, not sure what other options there are.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I've only had the special Authentication prompt twice, it remembers me and/or my PC pretty well.  (I used the Google Auth app for it, not sure what other options there are.)

I've been putting off updating to that one because, I just don't want to run into problems.. But probably should I guess..

FS is kind of stuttery right now.. probably those performance issues I'm guessing.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

FS is kind of stuttery right now.. probably those performance issues I'm guessing.

Depending on the meaning of "stuttery"...I had my potato PC "stutter" in SL (official viewer) the other day for the first time EVER. It was quite concerning! 

I figured it was my virus protection, or too much memory was finally required for SL.  Even though I was standing still, on my land..

Exited SL, added it to an exclusion list in my Norton 360..it did come back once since then.

If this keeps happening, I'll make a "please help" post about it.  If I finally have to replace my potato PC, then so be it. But goodness!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I don't use the LL viewer and none of the beta versions of Firestorm have required any mfa log in stuff.

Ya, I haven't seen it on FS yet.. I might set it up, but haven't really needed anything like it yet, so I'm in no hurry to get it going.. hehehe

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Depending on the meaning of "stuttery"...I had my potato PC "stutter" in SL (official viewer) the other day for the first time EVER. It was quite concerning! 

I figured it was my virus protection, or too much memory was finally required for SL.  Even though I was standing still, on my land..

Exited SL, added it to an exclusion list in my Norton 360..it did come back once since then.

If this keeps happening, I'll make a "please help" post about it.  If I finally have to replace my potato PC, then so be it. But goodness!

I noticed it when I would pan around my avatar.. It seems to be fine now..

ETA: I should add, it only was happening in ultra.. I didn't have it in Black dragon though.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci

7 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, I haven't seen it on FS yet.. I might set it up, but haven't really needed anything like it yet, so I'm in no hurry to get it going.. hehehe

Firestorm's latest maintenance update included the option for MFA...

Firestorm 6.5.6.66221 Maintenance Update

Multi-Factor Authentication from LL!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Firestorm's latest maintenance update included the option for MFA...

Firestorm 6.5.6.66221 Maintenance Update

Multi-Factor Authentication from LL!

I thought it interesting that the TPV's are taking this long for MFA, and that it's optional. I thought it's required for LL viewer?

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought it interesting that the TPV's are taking this long for MFA, and that it's optional. I thought it's required for LL viewer?

It is not required on the LL viewer...

Multi-factor authentication can be enabled via your SecondLife.com Dashboard. It's opt-in and not required, though it is an excellent addition to your account's security. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The update reminder been on my last version for awhile now to update.. maybe since the middle or end of june..

I just been putting it off..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

It is not required on the LL viewer...

Multi-factor authentication can be enabled via your SecondLife.com Dashboard. It's opt-in and not required, though it is an excellent addition to your account's security. 

I like it. Net supporter!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The update reminder been on my last version for awhile now to update.. maybe since the middle or end of june..

I just been putting it off..

If you really want to try something, join the Firestorm Beta group and get the newest beta testing viewer that includes all the new performance updates from the LL viewer.  It doesn't replace the current official version of Firestorm and the update is, IMO, amazing.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

If you really want to try something, join the Firestorm Beta group and get the newest beta testing viewer that includes all the new performance updates from the LL viewer.  It doesn't replace the current official version of Firestorm and the update is, IMO, amazing.

I'm happy with this version, it's the latest one they have up for download.. I think that version i was on was the problem.. I didn't have any stuttering  in the version before or in this one..

I'm not gonna poke the nest  hehehe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Is that the one where they have you do the double security stuff at login?

Dead serious.

Please enable MFA on your account with an authenticator app. Occasionally you will need to open the app to type some numbers into the viewer, but not so often it's intrusive or a pain. This isn't a cure all for securing your SL account and things linked to it (like the ability to buy L$ etc) but it's a big improvement and will make you more secure in the event of a data leak from LL.

Also make sure your SL accounts have unique passwords from each other AND from other things. That protects you from a breach on one service you're a member of opening doors for the hackers on entirely different services.

The best time to worry about security is before there is a hack, which if the last few years are anything to go by isn't a question of IF but WHEN.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, EliseAnne85 said:

There is a belief in SL that the sky is less laggy.  Or they were offering me sky over ground for privacy?

It's not a belief, it's a fact. The ground and sea and anything else down there is not rendered at all when you are above 1,000 meters. This greatly improves your fps. At my home I get about 30 fps at ground level, and 120 fps in my skybox at 2000m.

Skyboxes can also improve privacy, but not a lot. The "privacy" setting in About Land/Options does a great deal more in that regard.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Dead serious.

Please enable MFA on your account with an authenticator app. Occasionally you will need to open the app to type some numbers into the viewer, but not so often it's intrusive or a pain. This isn't a cure all for securing your SL account and things linked to it (like the ability to buy L$ etc) but it's a big improvement and will make you more secure in the event of a data leak from LL.

Also make sure your SL accounts have unique passwords from each other AND from other things. That protects you from a breach on one service you're a member of opening doors for the hackers on entirely different services.

The best time to worry about security is before there is a hack, which if the last few years are anything to go by isn't a question of IF but WHEN.

Totally agree!

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

It's not a belief, it's a fact. The ground and sea and anything else down there is not rendered at all when you are above 1,000 meters. This greatly improves your fps. At my home I get about 30 fps at ground level, and 120 fps in my skybox at 2000m.

Skyboxes can also improve privacy, but not a lot. The "privacy" setting in About Land/Options does a great deal more in that regard.

If everybody and all that stuff is moved to above 1,000 meters, is the sky still faster?  (Assuming all the objects near the ground are moved up to about the same altitudes, all you are leaving behind is the ground patch and water.  You can try turning those off in render settings, for funzies.)

But...  yes, Moving to a platform in a virtually empty sky is somewhat like being in a virtually empty region, if you turn off ground patch and water rendering.

2 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

If everybody and all that stuff is moved to above 1,000 meters, is the sky still faster?  (Assuming all the objects near the ground are moved up to about the same altitudes, all you are leaving behind is the ground patch and water.  You can try turning those off in render settings, for funzies.)

But...  yes, Moving to a platform in a virtually empty sky is somewhat like being in a virtually empty region, if you turn off ground patch and water rendering.

Does SL have any statistics to show how many of us who use SL regularly are already up in the sky?  IOW, how many are renters are on ground and how many renters are in sky.  If most of us are already in the sky, the sky is less laggy and more populated.  Add optimization, other lower end devices may be able to work SL just fine.  They could be directed to go to skyland clubs for another example and to rent skyboxes (build some skyboxes with optimization and low scripts also).  

Hypothetically, though, if this were a hit and lots signed up and stayed, how much skyland would LL have?  IOW, does LL have infinite "land", "space".  Can they ALWAYS add more?  I'm guessing the answer is they could always add more, but then they need more servers.  

Oh, and I already use SL with the water OFF.  I will look for the other settings area to turn those off too.

Edited by EliseAnne85
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Dead serious.

Ya, I just kind of wish there was another way than having to have it tied to my phone in any way.  I hate my phone and don't trust my phone.. I have zero data on my phone..

I remember like a year ago or so, Samsung was changing something and sent out warnings about backing up or downloading our data because it was going to be deleted because of them switching or not supporting something anymore..

I went to check to see what data I needed to download.. It said I had none.. LOL

I just use my phone for a phone and  maybe a waiting room game like, can you tell what the differences are between these two pictures.. hehehe

If I lost my phone, there is nothing on there that I need to really worry about.. Nothing is reliant on my phone or that could breach any of  my stuff. I don't have to have my phone other than to make calls..

So when it comes down to having to have a phone to have something.. I tend to take my time and think it over really good before just jumping..

A phone is the only way to do this?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Ya, I just kind of wish there was another way than having to have it tied to my phone in any way.  I hate my phone and don't trust my phone.. I have zero data on my phone..

I remember like a year ago or so, Samsung was changing something and sent out warnings about backing up or downloading our data because it was going to be deleted because of them switching or not supporting something anymore..

I went to check to see what data I needed to download.. It said I had none.. LOL

I just use my phone for a phone and  maybe a waiting room game like, can you tell what the differences are between these two pictures.. hehehe

If I lost my phone, there is nothing on there that I need to really worry about.. Nothing is reliant on my phone or that could breach any of  my stuff. I don't have to have my phone other than to make calls..

So when it comes down to having to have a phone to have something.. I tend to take my time and think it over really good before just jumping..

A phone is the only way to do this?

I assume there's a "Google Authenticator" website / URL you can use instead of a phone app.

I see it in the "Chrome Web Store" as a Chrome Extension, which is blocked by my employer's filtering.

• Thanks 1

I've been using Authy, which is free and available in the Google Play store and elsewhere.  Wirecutter did a review of authenticators a while ago and ranked it the most flexible and reliable. You can install it on multiple devices -- I have it on my phone, my laptop, and my desktop -- and it works the same way on all of them. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EliseAnne85 said:

Does SL have any statistics to show how many of us who use SL regularly are already up in the sky?  IOW, how many are renters are on ground and how many renters are in sky.  If most of us are already in the sky, the sky is less laggy and more populated.  Add optimization, other lower end devices may be able to work SL just fine.  They could be directed to go to skyland clubs for another example and to rent skyboxes (build some skyboxes with optimization and low scripts also).  

Hypothetically, though, if this were a hit and lots signed up and stayed, how much skyland would LL have?  IOW, does LL have infinite "land", "space".  Can they ALWAYS add more?  I'm guessing the answer is they could always add more, but then they need more servers.  

Oh, and I already use SL with the water OFF.  I will look for the other settings area to turn those off too.

No, they don't. I can't think of any way they could collect that data, and anyway, lots of us have both a ground level home AND a skybox.

LL can always make more space. They could even, if they wanted, create more vertical space without having to increase the land area, just by raising the build limit of 4096m.

One thing that makes the sky less laggy than the ground is that there's more there there. For example, a region is 256 x 256m, but is also 4096m in the vertical dimension...16 times as large vertically.  This means that it's much easier for people to locate themselves out of camera range of others, which keeps the lag down.

While I spend a lot of time in skyboxes, I can't imagine turning off rendering of the ground and water. I mean, this IS a "virtual world", right? What is a "world" without those? Also, I doubt it will improve your performance much if you turn them off.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I can't imagine turning off rendering of the ground and water. I mean, this IS a "virtual world", right?

I understand this is a virtual world but when I turn water off, I am just faster.  I'm not using water much at all these days as I am learning to build but if I'm on ground it helps a bit to have water off.  Ground is too laggy for me and it's just too much - the lag.  I don't have the time for it.

However, people joining SL aren't joining to see a virtual ocean or sky.  Most want to learn to build or connect for a romantic fling.  Ocean/sky is probably lowest on their list for wanting to join SL, imo.

And, with the lesser devices right now, we can't always have everything.  So, I was just wondering about perhaps using "the sky and optimization" and how this might or might not have an affect on user retention/usability.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 756 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.