If someone IMs you...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I gotta make this for myself...

177362809_Ionlygivenegativefeedback.thumb.png.522099c1403bc4dc7b0b859814f14c96.png

Lol! Honestly, there are so many funny shirts and things in SL, I'd be surprised if that didn't already exist somewhere.

My absolute favorite thing is when words are spelled wrong. I buy that stuff on purpose. Toss my "Wathever" jacket on with my "Autentic" shorts and rock all that with my "No Ragrets" title and I'm good to go.

Okay, maybe THAT's why I get so few random IMs these days... *ponders*

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Honestly, there are so many funny shirts and things in SL, I'd be surprised if that didn't already exist somewhere.

I have a couple of full-perm mesh tees. I think I should make one of these for Maddy. Want a copy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a couple of full-perm mesh tees. I think I should make one of these for Maddy. Want a copy?

Yes please! With a spelling error or two in my version, if you would be so kind.  😂🤣 But only if that's not too much extra work! I'll take a proper version if that's a lot faster for ya.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

There's something to this, definitely.

It's maybe a bit paradoxical. Were I actually looking for "romance," or even a hookup, I'd immediately reject the straight-out approach. My SL relationships (all two of them! Woot me!) were the result of a slow process of getting to know someone well over time -- personally (and yes, it is just a personal preference), I'd get little or nothing out of a "quickie."

On the other hand, I do sort of weirdly value people who get right down to the nitty-gritty, because it saves us both time and effort.

I know, though, that there are lots of people, including many women, who really are looking for cheap, fast, and cheerful (so to speak), so it's hard to fault those whose approach I personally find icky and eye-rolling. They're undoubtedly not looking for a new friend, yet alone a "relationship," and they've chosen an approach that makes that clear. So, in a way, good for them?

(What I cannot handle with equanimity are the overtly sexist approaches.)

Ya, I'm not looking for either one myself.. I'm happily married with kids. I might get a little flirty at times, but that's usually having laughs with someone at the same time and not going anywhere further..

The last thing I want is another relationships and have to juggle..One is enough for me. hehehe

If I were looking for a quickly, I can get that without logging in. hehehe

If I were looking for romance, they better get more original than what's on the card they are handing out at help island.. hehehe

ETA: I think I just appreciate the cutting through the bull crap and saving time, more than anything..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Idea: If someone IM's you awkwardly (for example: "hi"), send them an "autoreply" that helps determine if they are "worthy":

"This is an auto-reply. Please answer the following question to speak with me:"

Example questions:

- What is the value of "Pi" to 5 decimals?

- What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

- What is your name? What is your quest?  What is your favorite color?

Pi equals approximately 3.14159

According to this webpage, the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

Trick answer for a trick question: My name in SL and in some RL circles is Persephone. You don't get to know my legal name.

My quest is to obtain both safety and happiness.

My favorite color is currently purple. 

(I know how to use Google. Yay!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just opened an email from COG and saw this and thought instantly, "Maddy" and the last few things she posted in this thread. (Still looking innocent over here.)
image.png.4fc58128e91ac3bf808cbce5da84060f.png

image.png.7f09b1fff4fce6e96417f445e286dd77.png

To bring it back to on topic: I can see using the themes in these clips as a launching point for a theme when IMing others, for whatever... nefarious or not... reasons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carolyn Zapedzki said:

I usually check their profile first before answering. That's if I see their message as it comes in. often I am AFK or engrossed making something or gambling hard earned lindens and don't notice unttil hours later. So when checking later if it is meaningful then I reply but if it is a rasndom hi and the guy has lots of adult groups showing and sexual content on his profile then I just ignore.

I never really understood the need to even be a member of an adult group.  I'll be in groups for adult clubs but that's all.   I did belong to one group briefly until I got tired of randoms IMing me while I was at home and when I asked where they saw me, they always said, "I found your name in Blah Blah group".  

Is this why people join Adult groups?  To troll for people?  🤷🏾‍♀️

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Yes please! With a spelling error or two in my version, if you would be so kind.  😂🤣 But only if that's not too much extra work! I'll take a proper version if that's a lot faster for ya.

Scylla is a Canadian English professor. Misspelling a word on a tee-shirt will kill her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

I never really understood the need to even be a member of an adult group.  I'll be in groups for adult clubs but that's all.   I did belong to one group briefly until I got tired of randoms IMing me while I was at home and when I asked where they saw me, they always said, "I found your name in Blah Blah group".  

Some used to have interesting discussions - maybe they still do. Hard to tell lately with the way group chat behaves! 

I used to join some to help signal to profile readers who were into similar types of things. Like oh cool, she likes "random thing," too! It kinda sorta worked that way ages ago. Not sure if it still does. I've left most of them in favor of chasing group gifts all over the grid. 😄

• Like 3

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Yep, I think so.

Someone -- I don't remember who, unfortunately, because I'd love to give them hell -- once recommended to me that I join a popular group of self-identified "really smart people who find intelligence sexy." (Some of you will undoubtedly know the group to which I refer.) I was told that it featured really worthwhile conversations in group chat.

Yeeeeeeeeeesh! Yeah, right. The group chat was the most drama-laden pile of horse poo I've ever witnessed. It was swarming with alts, overflowing with toxic vibes, and the "worthwhile conversation" generally consisted of bad sex jokes and malapropisms from people who apparently think that referring (inaccurately) to something Nietzsche wrote makes you "smart."

And the IMs . . . OMG. I might as well have painted a target on my back. The assumption was, apparently, that if you were a member of this group, you were "up for it," at any time, in any manner, with anyone who was also a member of the group.

I lasted maybe a month in that one, but I was dealing with the fallout for up to a year later.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Scylla is a Canadian English professor. Misspelling a word on a tee-shirt will kill her.

Oh, typos and spelling errors absolutely slay me, too. It's why it's so funny to me to have it on something as "permanent" as worn clothing. I'll twitch if I catch a typo in a quick Discord message - imagine sending that kind of thing to a professional PRINTER (even simulated, like in SL) - omg.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yep, I think so.

Someone -- I don't remember who, unfortunately, because I'd love to give them hell -- once recommended to me that I join a popular group of self-identified "really smart people who find intelligence sexy." (Some of you will undoubtedly know the group to which I refer.) I was told that it featured really worthwhile conversations in group chat.

Yeeeeeeeeeesh! Yeah, right. The group chat was the most drama-laden pile of horse poo I've ever witnessed. It was swarming with alts, overflowing with toxic vibes, and the "worthwhile conversation" generally consisted of bad sex jokes and malapropisms from people who apparently think that referring (inaccurately) to something Nietzsche wrote makes you "smart."

And the IMs . . . OMG. I might as well have painted a target on my back. The assumption was, apparently, that if you were a member of this group, you were "up for it," at any time, in any manner, with anyone who was also a member of the group.

I lasted maybe a month in that one, but I was dealing with the fallout for up to a year later.

I think that's actually the group I belonged to for a minute.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just sent you 8 pickup line IMs in-world.

I hate to see you feeling neglected.

two-hours-later-5-memebase-com-39517635-

Scylla Rhiadra is offline, but will see your message when they come back online:

Ceka Cianci: Sorry I didn't see this before, I was away from the keyboard..

:P

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, typos and spelling errors absolutely slay me, too. It's why it's so funny to me to have it on something as "permanent" as worn clothing. I'll twitch if I catch a typo in a quick Discord message - imagine sending that kind of thing to a professional PRINTER (even simulated, like in SL) - omg.

No English professor, or really any competent English reader, should ever open one of my posts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I belong to several adult groups, mostly to be notified of inworld events. (Which I would sometimes use when in search of a dom.) There are several adult groups that act as clearing houses for a bunch of groups/sims. The group chats can be useful to find out who is online, if the sim is busy or empty, etc. They can also be useful for identifying like-minded people. I tend to leave all of my group IMs shut off and only receive the official notices.

I was never all that  inundated by random IMs coming from a group, and most of the ones were kinda legit "who are you and are you looking for xyz?" conversations.

I've noticed from various posts though that even though I'm in adult areas about 40% of my SL, I am apparently still very sheltered. I don't have many of the experiences folks are discussing, although I have had them from time to time. It has been a long time since someone has jumped out from behind a LL rhododendron and asked if I wanted to have sex. I think I need to slide my breast adjustment higher...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Getting back to how we handle random IMs, I had one guy send me a very nice message saying he like my profile. I was about to reply back with a thank-you, but then looked at his profile first. He had 2 groups showing, one of which was something like "I want to degrade you". Thank goodness I saw and then knew to ignore him. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 11:13 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though I don't often have time for a good chat, I do welcome random civil IMs. How I approach them depends on the IM and the context.

Curiously, the most common topic for random IMs has been Dr. Richard Feynman, who's last name appears in my profile. It gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know that an appreciation of Feynman can get people to break the ice with him.

You introduced me to Feynman and all things awesome. 

I always reply and never read profiles till like years later. I’ll have to check yours out sometime.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.