Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

56 minutes ago, skepwith said:
58 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Oh yes. Because every quarterly report they "don't" release a thing called "Meta Earning Presentation where they go into details about earning they made and reported in their balance sheet.
Kepp trying. Or as I said, I can tell you are right and make your day.

I don't care what you think, you've basically joined a cult for nerds and I think it's hilarious. That comment was for everyone else.

It's often the case that engagements with other people are not for the purpose of influencing them, but for leveraging them to influence others. Sometimes you luck into someone who's unwittingly happy to help.

The unwitting make an attractive market.*

*I'm probably proof.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Legs are important. Like I said earlier, if a person does not have legs they are no less a person, but in a fantasy world it should be an option.

Before people started to freak out for Meta showing them shoes on their homepage there was a pertinent post in the first page from Drayke Newall  which shows some images Meta shared and there are legs :D
I totally dislike current Metaverse like Horizon (from Meta) VRchat etc.. those with no legs. And they have no future in my opinion. What Meta is trying to achieve is something more, that (in their plans) will be a revolution of how we will use internet, as they did with social networks that improved our quality of life, like everything that big tech companies brings.
They can fail as any other company, as a user i'm looking forward to see what they will bring and they can know how old I'm and where I live so Nike can show me some fancy sneakers.

Edited by Antonioo Giano
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's often the case that engagements with other people are not for the purpose of influencing them, but for leveraging them to influence others. Sometimes you luck into someone who's unwittingly happy to help.

*I'm probably proof.

*Unwittingly raises her hand.

12 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

People tend to see "sinister" aspects (it's how the discussion started) in anything. But you can be reassured. Meta is not going to manipulate your mind. Max it can do it can show you a pair of shoes on your homepage because of some likes you putted, gender info and location you decided to share.

Nonsense. I use Facebook and am showed items based not merely on what I "decided to share", but on a list of "interests" Facebook generated based on what I clicked on, without any say on what "interest" I had and whether I wanted that shared.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 2

Just now, Charolotte Caxton said:
2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

*I'm probably proof.

Expand  

*Unwittingly raises her hand.

*Me in church* "Can I get a witless?  I mean, a witness?" <= Is joke!

• Like 1

Just now, Theresa Tennyson said:

Nonsense. I use Facebook and am showed items based not merely on what I "decided to share", but on a list of "interests" Facebook generated based based on what I clicked on, without any say on what "interest" I had and whether I wanted that shared.

You keep trying getting my attention. But if you read carefully I also mentioned "because of some likes you putted".
If you don't want them to do that, just don't leave likes.

1 hour ago, skepwith said:

I think it's funny that you donate your time to defend someone who would buy you for extra organs if he could, on a forum almost nobody reads. Save your kisses for him.

I just have to say I love this quote. Kudos to Skepwith.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Before people started to freak out for Meta showing them shoes on their homepage there was a pertinent post in the first page from Drayke Newall  which shows some images Meta shared and there are legs :D
I totally dislike current Metaverse like Horizon (from Meta) VRchat etc.. those with no legs. And they have no future in my opinion. What Meta is trying to achieve is something more, that (in their plans) will be a revolution of how we will use internet, as they did with social networks that improved our quality of life, like everything that big tech companies brings.
They can fail as any other company, as a user i'm looking forward to see what they will bring and they can know how old I'm and where I live so Nike can show me some fancy sneakers.

Nike has some cool shoes. Can even custom build them. I know, I got the ad.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Nonsense. I use Facebook and am showed items based not merely on what I "decided to share", but on a list of "interests" Facebook generated based on what I clicked on, without any say on what "interest" I had and whether I wanted that shared.

Hi, Theresa, but why is that bad? Shouldn’t my shop keeper know my likes? The bar know my drink? The restaurant my usual? That’s how I’m seeing it. 

Edited by Charolotte Caxton
  • Haha 1

Just now, Antonioo Giano said:

You keep trying getting my attention. But if you read carefully I also mentioned "because of some likes you putted".
If you don't want them to do that, just don't leave likes.

I. DID. NOT. PUT. ANYTHING. NOR DID I "LIKE" ANYTHING.

And yet, if I dig I can find a list of "interests" Facebook extrapolated for me that's as long as my arm.

Do you even use Facebook? Some of your concepts of how it works sound at least ten years old.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And yet, if I dig I can find a list of "interests" Facebook extrapolated for me that's as long as my arm.

Do you even use Facebook? Some of your concepts of how it works sound at least ten years old.

*gives to her some attention and pretends to be offended to make her happy*

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Hi, Theresa, but why is that bad? Shouldn’t my shop keeper know my likes? The bar know my drink? The restaurant my usual? That’s how I’m seeing it. 

Speaking for myself, I don't like repetitive, irrelevant, Spammy advertisements that I have to click on 5 things to "hide".

• Like 3

I used to just search up random things on Google, click on random sites (but never ads, I don't ever see those), browse random store sites, poke all over Ebay and Etsy for things I'd never buy, etc. I'd be surprised if ads ever targeted me properly (not that I'd ever know).

2 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

*gives to her some attention and pretends to be offended to make her happy*

This is not a response to Theresa's accurate characterization of how FB uses data. It is, again, misdirection, with a hint of ad hominem. 

You clearly have literally nothing to contribute to this discussion. Can I suggest you stop pretending you do?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Is what you said about how Facebook works accurate?

I will leave you with some free advice. So after all this attention, you got for me, you will also know how to fight the bad facebook that tracks your things and shows you stuff.

You can remove their apps from your smartphone and avoid visiting their websites from your pc.
You can use brave browsers that says can block what websites tracks from you (I don't use it, so I'm not completely aware if they really do it or not, but you can try it).
You can use a VPN and change location and an AD block to don't see banners.

I'm sure my friend Mark Zuckerberg will forgive me that giving you this advice will lose a valuable user, but your struggle is real and even if I'm pro-capitalism, pro-progress, and pro-big tech companies.. I still have an heart ❤️

1 minute ago, Antonioo Giano said:

I will leave you with some free advice. So after all this attention, you got for me, you will also know how to fight the bad facebook that tracks your things and shows you stuff.

You can remove their apps from your smartphone and avoid visiting their websites from your pc.
You can use brave browsers that says can block what websites tracks from you (I don't use it, so I'm not completely aware if they really do it or not, but you can try it).

I'm sure my friend Mark Zuckerberg will forgive me that giving you this advice will lose a valuable user, but your struggle is real and even if I'm pro-capitalism, pro-progress, and pro-big tech companies.. I still have an heart ❤️

Honestly if this discussion is about them knowing what we are doing on the internet, welcome to the internet. Think I saw the first www in 1991 or so. This is nothing new. 

I'm sorry to have to point this out again, but this response once more does not in any way address Theresa's point. Instead, you dodge and duck.

I'm forced to conclude that you are not refuting it because you can't.

Why are you here, again?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Speaking personally, it irritates me when a shopkeeper tries to assume what I want based on my past purchases - and yes, that includes the person behind the counter in a real-life store.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Honestly if this discussion is about them knowing what we are doing on the internet, welcome to the internet. Think I saw the first www in 1991 or so. This is nothing new. 

Lucky you. In my country, member of the G8 in the so good Europe that protects us against Mark Zuckemberg we started to see internet after 2000.

Edited by Antonioo Giano

I mentioned this in the Peeve thread --- If using Samsung or whatever, the Fakebook app will come back like a bad case of gerd.  That's what happened to my daughter's phone when she  removed it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This happened to me last year or so. I found an entire list of sites I visited on one of FB's targeted ad opt-in/out pages or whatever it was. I have an ad-blocker, so never clicked on anything on any of them. They just knew I'd been browsing bedding/mattresses and had a full list of every site I'd been keeping an eye on over the prior few months. Lol.

I don't even use FB anymore - never posted any details about my life on it, no personal photos, nothing made public. I had it strictly for gaming. Had my privacy set to Only Me on everything - never left any settings on public. My account is now deactivated but I'm sure they'll still trying to chase me around the innerwebz. Joke's on them - I'm not buying that Fiat or Aston Martin or ugly Balenciaga bag anytime soon! I'm just over here click-click-clicking on everythang since they like checking me out so much. 😂

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.