Meta | They Asked For It!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not really interested in interacting with the main character of this thread but one item I'd like to bring up for others is this:

What Meta is trying to achieve is something more, that (in their plans) will be a revolution of how we will use internet, as they did with social networks that improved our quality of life, like everything that big tech companies brings.

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I want to put this out there. My quality of life went up substantially when I stopped using Facebook a few years ago (easy) and Twitter this spring (much harder, had to delete the account entirely, otherwise I'd peek). I started reading a lot more, including developing an interest in literary works beyond the sort of genre fiction I typically used to enjoy, and having more conversations with people face to face. I spent more time on walks. I got more sleep. And I found myself not getting mad about stuff as much, especially things I couldn't really do anything about anyway.

And this isn't just me, I've heard similarly from other Twitter quitters and Facebook abandoners.

I still enjoy podcasts, a small amount of Youtube, and of course SL, so it's not like I've gone total Luddite, but I really have to ask what kind of virtual reality or metaverse or whatever will be brought to us by the companies behind quite arguably making things worse socially and making life unpleasant emotionally by having somehow figured out how to get people addicted to their own misery.

Edited by skepwith
Stop! Grammar time!
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Speaking personally, it irritates me when a shopkeeper tries to assume what I want based on my past purchases - and yes, that includes the person behind the counter in a real-life store.

Like the clerks who ask for the phone # and they look like a dear and headlights when you decline.  I actually had 2 places refuse to complete my sale without the number and I was paying good old toonies.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I mentioned this in the Peeve thread --- If using Samsung or whatever, the Fakebook app will come back like a bad case of gerd.  That's what happened to my daughter's phone when she  removed it.

I suspect because Facebook pays to have their app included on every smart phone. I've deleted it and had to accept at least the basic version of it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I mentioned this in the Peeve thread --- If using Samsung or whatever, the Fakebook app will come back like a bad case of gerd.  That's what happened to my daughter's phone when she  removed it.

I would suggest to contact Samsung and mention to them the "issue". I'm sure they can help you with it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I actually had 2 places refuse to complete my sale without the number and I was paying good old toonies.

I've had this happen to me and, like you, I walked out.

Canada needs something like the GDPR.

Just now, Antonioo Giano said:

I would suggest to contact Samsung and mention to them the "issue". I'm sure they can help you with it.

We did.  They said they it's baked in for the "convenience" of people buying their phones. As mentioned in the Peeve thread, I did root her phone to remove the "virus."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Speaking personally, it irritates me when a shopkeeper tries to assume what I want based on my past purchases - and yes, that includes the person behind the counter in a real-life store.

Oh, I like it when they know what I like before I do. They work there. I’m paying. I actually would be offended if they didn’t give me things to purchase based on my past purchases or known likes and preferences. They’ve been there all day, I just walked in.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Like the clerks who ask for the phone # and they look like a dear and headlights when you decline.  I actually had 2 places refuse to complete my sale without the number and I was paying good old toonies.

If my phone number will allow me a better warranty/guarantee without the receipt, I will give it to them. Some stores do allow that.

2 minutes ago, skepwith said:

Not really interested in interacting with the main character of this thread but one item I'd like to bring up for others is this:

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I want to put this out there. My quality of life went up substantially when I stopped using Facebook a few years ago (easy) and Twitter this spring (much harder, had to delete the account entirely, otherwise I'd peek). I started reading a lot more, including developing an interest in literary works beyond the sort of genre fiction I typically used to enjoy, and having more conversations with people face to face. I spent more time on walks. I got more sleep. And I found myself not getting mad about stuff as much, especially things I couldn't really do anything about anyway.

And this isn't just me, I've heard similarly from other Twitter quitters and Facebook abandoners.

I still enjoy podcasts, a small amount of Youtube, and of course SL, so it's not like I've gone total Luddite, but I really have to question the kind of virtual reality or metaverse or whatever will be brought to us by the companies behind quite arguably making things worse socially and making life unpleasant emotionally by having somehow figured out how to get people addicted to their own misery.

Thanks for the main character. I see now why you all want my attention.
Anyway if you got a social addicting problem then yes, is good to delete it and get better.

For a normal balanced user that likes to travel, to be in contact with friends "for free", to be able to read some quick stuff, watch some random videos etc. it's good.
Do don't mention those like me often traveling abroad, Whatsapp is so useful. Together with google maps and all other stuff that we didn't have 20 years ago.
I choose to take advantage from it without getting addicted. I'm able to close an app and read a book and talk face to face to people even if I have FB on my smartphone, but we aren't all the same.

1 minute ago, Charolotte Caxton said:

Oh, I like it when they know what I like before I do. They work there. I’m paying. I actually would be offended if they didn’t give me things to purchase based on my past purchases or known likes and preferences. They’ve been there all day, I just walked in.

Multi billion dollar companies want to sell me things I want? Except for the dark aspects, I’m hearing win. But that’s just one viewpoint.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

If my phone number will allow me a better warranty/guarantee without the receipt, I will give it to them. Some stores do allow that.

I don't and tell them my phone is mounted on the wall.  The clerk goes "you don't have a smart phone?"  I say nope.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

We did.  They said they it's baked in for the "convenience" of people buying their phones. As mentioned in the Peeve thread, I did root her phone to remove the "virus."

Perfect, problem solved from Samsung itself telling you that. Lots of apps pays Samsung and Iphone to be pre-installed, not only facebook. But as you can see, there is always a solution.

1 minute ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Anyway if you got a social addicting problem then yes, is good to delete it and get better.

For a normal balanced user that likes to travel, to be in contact with friends "for free", to be able to read some quick stuff, watch some random videos etc. it's good.
Do don't mention those like me often traveling abroad, Whatsapp is so useful. Together with google maps and all other stuff that we didn't have 20 years ago.
I choose to take advantage from it without getting addicted. I'm able to close an app and read a book and talk face to face to people even if I have FB on my smartphone, but we aren't all the same.

One does not realize how addicted they are until they try to live without. You my good Sir, might be more addicted then you think considering how much you are defending your drug of choice :)

• Like 3

Perfect, problem solved from Samsung itself telling you that. Lots of apps pays Samsung and Iphone to be pre-installed, not only facebook. But as you can see, there is always a solution.

Forgot to say it came back 2 weeks later due to an update.  Since the phone was still in the returnable period, it went back.  Right now my daughter is looking at a prepaid flip phone.  She used to live on it, but now it's more for safety when driving around.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Facebook sounds like digital herpes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

One does not realize how addicted they are until they try to live without. You my good Sir, might be more addicted then you think considering how much you are defending your drug of choice :)

Since I'm into tech things, when Freakbook went down awhile back many were having withdrawals.  I had some ask "Kim, can you fix the app."  I tell them I'm not even on the stupid service. I say go outside, enjoy the sun, and when it's up again, delete the damn thing! :D

• Like 2

Nawwwww... After all, he said he was leaving this thread.

Several times, in fact...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The fun thing is all you are the same, telling i'm "defending" and keep writing random theories about me. The one saying I "defend" because I earn from the investment, now because I'm addicted. I barely use my socials. But is nothing I've to explain to you. You all need to assume things about me being in group "against" one to feel stronger and not having any argument.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, skepwith said:

I don't know about the rest of you all, but I want to put this out there. My quality of life went up substantially when I stopped using Facebook a few years ago (easy) and Twitter this spring

I mostly just use Telegram for keeping in contact with my family now, I've considered hosting my own server.  I find social media to be a lot of people just arguing with one another, and looking for an audience, it definitely is not worth it for me.  I kind of miss when people just posted pictures of what they were eating, or pictures of their vacations.  Now it seems to just be people standing on soap boxes, screaming into the void and other people screaming little more than what equates to an "Amen!" 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Antonioo Giano said:

Dude I have you on ignore and wouldn't have seen this if someone else hadn't quoted it, lmao. If I could block you from seeing my posts entirely, I would.

• Haha 2

The fun thing is all you are the same, telling i'm "defending" and keep writing random theories about me. The one saying I "defend" because I earn from the investment, now because I'm addicted. I barely use my socials. But is nothing I've to explain to you. You all need to assume things about me being in group "against" one to feel stronger and not having any argument.

Well it is nice that you are the chew toy for today instead of me and I don't care that you are making money from your investment, what I argue against is your wrong attempt to whitewash Facebook when there is so much evidence against it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Nawwwww... After all, he said he was leaving this thread.

Several times, in fact...

I said once, but I'm too polite giving some of my precious time to you people keeping quoting and talking about me. But don't get used, I usually use my time in more productive stuff. Today is an exception because you people "hating" needs some care and attention too.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 789 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.