So something funny.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I was just playing a game, Doom,  one of the bad guys launches a fireball at me on the first level,  it made the SL teleport sound,  is that were the SL teleport sound came from doom? 

I think the sound is from from one of Sound Ideas' libraries so not original neither to Doom or SL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

I think the sound is from from one of Sound Ideas' libraries so not original neither to Doom or SL.

oh cool, I had not heard of that,  the SL teleport sound I've heard on a tv show before and was all giddy,  my better half at the time was like "I dont get it" lol

I wonder where that teleport sound actually came from. It sounds like someone sliding metal crates across a floor.

There is a sound used in the news channels that was also in an old game I used to play. It makes me look up to the television whenever I hear it. 

I know the exact door opening noise that tons of doors use here, and I hear it ALL over. Games, movies, everything.

Same thing with a vase smashing clip, I hear it over and over in tons of media.

Custom foley isn't worth the time, apparently.

13 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I wonder where that teleport sound actually came from. It sounds like someone sliding metal crates across a floor.

Possibly, or maybe they used sandpaper.

13 hours ago, cariboustag said:

I know the exact door opening noise that tons of doors use here, and I hear it ALL over. Games, movies, everything.

Same thing with a vase smashing clip, I hear it over and over in tons of media.

Custom foley isn't worth the time, apparently.

Making good sound effects from scratch isn't that easy even today and it certainly wasn't back in the days before digital audio equpiment became common and affordable. So everybody and their dog bought their sounds from one of the big suppliers like Sound Ideas.

23 hours ago, Wilson Mimulus said:

A lot of doom sounds are from sound packs that are purchasable.

The original Doom was from 1993. Did they really have sound packs for sale then??? (Doom must have been using 8-bit, 11,025 Hz WAV files at the time, I suspect. Anything lower would sound pretty much ridiculous.)

Or did you, @bigmoe Whitfield, mean Doom 2016, the remake? I'm pretty sure the good people at id had enough budget and resources to make their own. Likely, the similarity is just coincidental.

26 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The original Doom was from 1993. Did they really have sound packs for sale then??? 

Special effects sounds have been available for just about as long as there have been movies and television. They are certainly not new to digital media (though they've since been converted to it).  The SL teleport sound could be older than me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

The original Doom was from 1993. Did they really have sound packs for sale then??? (Doom must have been using 8-bit, 11,025 Hz WAV files at the time, I suspect. Anything lower would sound pretty much ridiculous.)

Or did you,  @bigmoe Whitfield , mean Doom 2016, the remake? I'm pretty sure the good people at id had enough budget and resources to make their own. Likely, the similarity is just coincidental.

demo from ID the original doom, is what I'm referring too.  no remakes

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 652 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.