LL Announces New LGBTQ+ Community Page

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, the time is a weeeee bit off, but better late than never!

(ETA: I kinda love how the pic looks like the set for Sesame Street. I'm half expecting to see Big Bird and Elmo roll out waving rainbow flags.)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I'm still skeptical about the types of communities we're going to see featured. So far it seems more like pandering to specific RL movements, not actual SL communities.

Which is fine, but misleading to call it "Second Life Communities".

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

I'm still skeptical about the types of communities we're going to see featured. So far it seems more like pandering to specific RL movements, not actual SL communities.

What you describe as "pandering" could also be termed following RL interests and trends. I'm sure it's a business decision as much as one of social concerns.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Thanks. I followed the links and it seems to be a 'sign up to SL page' with info about what SL has to offer the (2) communities featured so far. Not a bad thing, but I though it might be something with community engagement.

• Like 1

It's not misleading to me at all as they're actual communities within SL with entertainment venues, locations, events, art galleries, etc. I'm just a bit sad they didn't also feature businesses this time around like they did with the last page. 

This page looks great IMO. Love the photos chosen. But...businesses?!?!!! I would've loved that.

Next up, according to the blog post, is Anthro.

"We’ve been busy interviewing other community members for future pages so look out for our upcoming Anthro community page announcement!"

Woohooo!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, LexxiXhan said:

Thanks. I followed the links and it seems to be a 'sign up to SL page' with info about what SL has to offer the (2) communities featured so far. Not a bad thing, but I though it might be something with community engagement.

It actually is the community page but keeps giving me the Sign Up option even when I'm already signed in.  @Linden Labneeds to fix that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

It's not misleading to me at all as they're actual communities within SL with entertainment venues, locations, events, art galleries, etc. I'm just a bit sad they didn't also feature businesses this time around like they did with the last page. 

This page looks great IMO. Love the photos chosen. But...businesses?!?!!! I would've loved that.

Next up, according to the blog post, is Anthro.

"We’ve been busy interviewing other community members for future pages so look out for our upcoming Anthro community page announcement!"

Woohooo!

Furries. Yes, that's at least a real SL community.

I think the LGBTQ+ Community is too, since sims are often aimed at this demographic. I don't mind that LL made a community page for people of color, but I'm not sure if that's an inworld community or not. It might well be, but just hasn't been on my personal radar. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

What? You don't think there will be a "Furries" community page?

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Furries. Yes, that's at least a real SL community.

I think the LGBTQ+ Community is too, since sims are often aimed at this demographic. I don't mind that LL made a community page for people of color, but I'm not sure if that's an inworld community or not. It might well be, but just hasn't been on my personal radar. 

Furries are a RL community, too. Quite a huge one at that. I think it's cool they're choosing communities that exist in both RL and SL - I mean...most kinda do anyway.

The Black community page had me skeptical solely because I *rarely* meet other Black people in SL (avatars yes, people rarely), though I do know they exist. I'm just not familiar with the SL community itself and like you, had no idea how big it even was.

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

There's a huge and very well organized LGBTQ+ community in SL, with scores of groups, clubs, and regions or parcels devoted to it.

I'm not LGBTQ+, but I could direct you to a dozen without even having to look it up.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LexxiXhan said:

Not a bad thing, but I though it might be something with community engagement.

I agree. At the moment, both of these pages seem more like PR about how inclusive SL is (which, fine, it is), than really useful resources.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

It actually is the community page but keeps giving me the Sign Up option even when I'm already signed in.  @Linden Labneeds to fix that.

I am a bit confused, either the page is broken in some way or we need to create a new login account specifically for the community pages?

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I am a bit confused, either the page is broken in some way or we need to create a new login account specifically for the community pages?

Even when  I log in from that page, it still has a Join Now button.  Probably just the way they made the page.

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Even when  I log in from that page, it still has a Join Now button.  Probably just the way they made the page.

I am wondering if I join on that page I am joining the LGBTQ+ Community and gain access to more information or if I would just be creating another second life account I have no need of? 

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

I am wondering if I join on that page I am joining the LGBTQ+ Community and gain access to more information or if I would just be creating another second life account I have no need of? maybe get a rainbow unicorn plushie or something (which is tempting), but just not clear. 

It just takes you to the plain old account creation page.   I guess maybe so you don't actually NEED an account to view the whole page, log in isn't relevant but getting new accounts is?

https://secondlife.com/community/lgbtq - Going there, I see events, photos, celebrations, destinations, etc. No need to login. Just gotta scroll down.

The join free button is on both that page and the main https://secondlife.com/community page, but it's not necessary to see/interact with the stuff on there.

It is confusing, though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

It just takes you to the plain old account creation page.   I guess maybe so you don't actually NEED an account to view the whole page, log in isn't relevant but getting new accounts is?

It has been so long since I made an account I didn't recognise it as as that.

It is unclear because it talks about joining and contributing to the community, so my initial thought was that the join button was to join the community for additional content and resources to allow you to contribute specifically for the community pages not SL in general.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

What you describe as "pandering" could also be termed following RL interests and trends. I'm sure it's a business decision as much as one of social concerns.

You're not wrong.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's my concern. Or Blake Sea Sailors. Or Stargate hoppers. Or mainland road explorers. Or whatever. It feels more motivated by the following;

25 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

At the moment, both of these pages seem more like PR about how inclusive SL is (which, fine, it is), than really useful resources.

That's what I'm saying! Argue with me in one post then agree with me in the next, I'll never have to ask you to prove you're female!

10 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Which reinforces that it's more a PR stunt than anything else.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We’ve been busy interviewing other community members for future pages so look out for our upcoming Anthro community page announcement! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.