Dumbest Ads In The World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:
3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, as Maher says, some who consider themselves 'woke' likely are tolerating things that will make them cringe in 25 years. This only means they need to wake up more!

Be interesting to try to predict which sort of commercials and ads that are acceptable now, won't be in the future.

It would be an interesting exercise, indeed. First we'd need to imagine what the world might be like in 25 years in terms of cultural attitudes and behaviors.  Unfortunately it looks pretty bleak to me, this next phase, but I have hope for the future beyond the downturn.

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We all know that governments are not immune to being stupid

Canada even had a PSA for advertisement fraud and misinformation, that literally talked about a house hippo at first with a small little edited hippo running around in a house. Then they switched to, you can't believe everything you see on TV. Lol. Everyone went crazy in Canada and wanted a genetically modified house hippo. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to reclaim the word, take it back so those who say being woke (aware) is a bad thing are not defining it anymore, and make it what it has always been before the GOP hijacked it to criticize liberals (first used by Blacks, btw).

And if it means "aware", why can we not just say that instead of inventing new words? 

It is used in a negative way by both sides. There are folks on the left that use it to insult the right and there are folks on the right that use it insultingly towards the left.

Go back to the word 'aware' that has been around forever and much of that implied insulting goes away.

It doesn't just mean 'aware' though, it means 'aware of social injustice'. And many of those who criticize the very idea of there being social injustice would criticize any words used to explain a reality they don't believe exists.

Yes, some on the left use 'wokism' as a criticism too, when they feel the left is being too picky or not focusing on economic concerns but instead focusing on concerns deemed less worthy.

It's actually a very common tactic  -- weaponizing words -- so as to confuse and distort issues.

9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to reclaim the word, take it back so those who say being woke (aware) is a bad thing are not defining it anymore, and make it what it has always been before the GOP hijacked it to criticize liberals (first used by Blacks, btw).

woke.jpg

Way off-topic for me to address this, so it's the only thing I'll say on this topic. "Woke" as an adjective was and is AAVE, and the only way I ever use (and acknowledge) the word. I don't use it in that context when not speaking with other Black people. "I woke up from a nap" - sure. "Stay woke" - hell nah. That's just me. Everyone's got their own comfort level with that. Matters not to me who co-opted it and how it's used today. I stick with its traditional usage. "We" never actually stopped using it that way in our social groups and communities (like Black Twitter and other spaces), so I don't know if there's anything to reclaim there.

Okay, back to the dumb ads!

Bloomingdales! Come on, now!

20151116221646-bloomingdales.jpeg?auto=w

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

And if it means "aware", why can we not just say that instead of inventing new words? 

It is used in a negative way by both sides. There are folks on the left that use it to insult the right and there are folks on the right that use it insultingly towards the left.

Go back to the word 'aware' that has been around forever and much of that implied insulting goes away.

Let alone both metoo and woke have been watered down by both  from their origins and taken over, like usual..

Ya can't have a movement that the predators aren't drooling over, stay where they were  meant.

Malcolm warned to beware of the wolf, but be even more aware of the fox.

The wolf will make it's presence known ,where the fox is sly.

Politicians are only as smart as what they are told. You can bet that's a bunch of half truths, then they add their mix in there and before you know it, we're off road in a 4x4 doing the hold my beer thing.. lol

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The wolf will make it's presence known

Sorry but that is a huge misconception. They only make their presence known when they want you to know they are there. If they don't want you to know, you won't.

Fox is only considered sly because he steals wolf's stashes. Fox forgets he learned that trick from wolf. 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Sorry but that is a huge misconception. They only make their presence known when they want you to know they are there. If they don't want you to know, you won't.

Fox is only considered sly because he steals wolf's stashes. Fox forgets he learned that trick from wolf. 🤭

That wasn't me making the comparison, that was how Malcom x compared politicians to wolves and fox getting lamb..

Pack animals usually let you know one of them is there to stir things up, while the others are set up for ambush, that or they tire prey down.

Fox is sly because they sneak to get prey. like chicken they keep trying to get at in my hen house.. lol

• Like 1

My father actually has one of these in his attic.. He said he found it when they were doing a demolition on a house.

It has a ton of games and still worked the last time I seen it hooked up.

It's still in that same garbage bag he found it in too.. lol

and-more-greatest-arcade-hits-all-time-s

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Playing currently:

It's the script that makes it so dumb:

The FBI, not the military? or the cast of "The Music Man"?
Sixty times DC, sure, but how about Bakersfield?
After all those "pro stadiums" how many bowling alleys could we build with Zuckerberg's pocket change and may I have a pony?

Any ad from Freakbook is guaranteed to be dumb.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

My father actually has one of these in his attic.. He said he found it when they were doing a demolition on a house.

Awwww, I wish I still had my Atari!!! Q*bert was my jam!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

"I love the sound of fun!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

It doesn't just mean 'aware' though, it means 'aware of social injustice'. And many of those who criticize the very idea of there being social injustice would criticize any words used to explain a reality they don't believe exists.

Yes, some on the left use 'wokism' as a criticism too, when they feel the left is being too picky or not focusing on economic concerns but instead focusing on concerns deemed less worthy.

It's actually a very common tactic  -- weaponizing words -- so as to confuse and distort issues.

The 'woke' term has been culturally misappropriated to a degree where it has not only lost its original meaning but taken on a comedic slant in some quarters. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Awwww, I wish I still had my Atari!!! Q*bert was my jam!

He has a collection of things like that.. He really never even touches them, unless he only ever breaks them out when nobody is around.. lol

Otherwise they only come out when we would go up and explore the attic..Then put things back before anyone would come home. hehehe

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

He has a collection of things like that.. He really never even touches them, unless he only ever breaks them out when nobody is around.. lol

Otherwise they only come out when we would go up and explore the attic..Then put things back before anyone would come home. hehehe

I've got the original NES somewhere...I think. Maybe. In a closet or something lol.

I wish I had my old C128 (they're pricey to try and get now) and Atari, but I know how I am with these things. I emulate some of my old C64/128 and DOS games, and the nostalgia feels sooooo good for like, 5 minutes, and then you start to wonder how you EVER had the patience to play these things in their entirety. 🤣 Especially old NES/SuperNES/Genesis games! They were really difficult omg.

There's a video on YouTube of a streamer playing the old Disney Lion King game for the first time and raging through the whole thing. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I've got the original NES somewhere...I think. Maybe. In a closet or something lol.

I wish I had my old C128 (they're pricey to try and get now) and Atari, but I know how I am with these things. I emulate some of my old C64/128 and DOS games, and the nostalgia feels sooooo good for like, 5 minutes, and then you start to wonder how you EVER had the patience to play these things in their entirety. 🤣 Especially old NES/SuperNES/Genesis games! They were really difficult omg.

There's a video on YouTube of a streamer playing the old Disney Lion King game for the first time and raging through the whole thing. 😂

We have one of these & actually played with it yesterday for the first time in years.  You can find them for about $25 usd if you look around.  I only ever played combat, outlaw & space invaders but it’s a lot of fun for the nostalgia.  

63523911-65DC-4F85-B7F1-3CA0E02EEF7F.jpeg

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

We have one of these & actually played with it yesterday for the first time in years.  You can find them for about $25 usd if you look around.  I only ever played combat, outlaw & space invaders but it’s a lot of fun for the nostalgia.  

63523911-65DC-4F85-B7F1-3CA0E02EEF7F.jpeg

I've never seen that! Is that like one of those mini consoles like they were making years ago - games pre-installed/built-in?

*runs off to check around*

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

20151116221646-bloomingdales.jpeg?auto=w

OMG, WTF were they even thinking?  Though obviously they weren't.  As someone else mentioned, there are many levels of approval that happen before an Ad goes out......... and apparently not one of those approving levels thought this was inappropriate. 

That tells me that there either were no women on those various approving committees or they had already been conditioned to not speak out against a man's idea.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

OMG, WTF were they even thinking?  Though obviously they weren't.  As someone else mentioned, there are many levels of approval that happen before an Ad goes out......... and apparently not one of those approving levels thought this was inappropriate. 

That tells me that there either were no women on those various approving committees or they had already been conditioned to not speak out against a man's idea.

You know the infuriating part? This still happens quite often TODAY. Ads absolutely get passed through various departments and get approved and signed-off on, so... sometimes I think this stuff is intentional. Outrage marketing, or somesuch.

I won't go into details because of the subject matter, but, if you're familiar with Kate Spade and what happened to her, you should see what Ulta's brand recently did with their email campaign. There are articles you can find via Le Google if you haven't heard about it. YIKES.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I've never seen that! Is that like one of those mini consoles like they were making years ago - games pre-installed/built-in?

*runs off to check around*

Yes 😃. The gold version does more like rewind game play, but the basic one we have has like 70 games.  It has the yellow & white plug in cords, only one of our tvs has those inputs so you might check & see if you will need an adapter, too.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Yes 😃. The gold version does more like rewind game play, but the basic one we have has like 70 games.  It has the yellow & white plug in cords, only one of our tvs has those inputs so you might check & see if you will need an adapter, too.

That is so cool! I found some on Ebay, but they were priced a bit higher. Sold out at other stores, and Amazon had one for...$60something. 

I'll wait and keep it on my radar! 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.