Then and Now Challenge

Strawberry Linden

• Lindens

ThenandNow.jpg

May 9th is my Resident avatar's 15th rez day so I thought it would be fun to do the Then and Now Challenge. To do this challenge, pick one of the oldest images of your avatar and do a side-by-side comparison with a recent image of your avatar. 

Both of my images are raw shots, straight from SL, no photoshopping done on either of them, just cropping. 

This challenge is similar to the decade challenge I had done here back in 2020, but you can go further than a decade with this one.

If you decide to post this on any social networks, don’t forget to use the hashtags #SecondLifeChallenge and #ThenAndNowChallenge. You can also add your images to the Second Life Challenge Flickr Group as well as the Official Second Life Flickr Group

• Like 29

image.png.48e17de63f5075478a900605f8d78d8e.png

I'm the one on the right - with the red/white hair. That's pretty much the oldest pic i can get my hands on right now - and for the age, i'd say maybe 2008. All I can say for sure is that that hair's sill made from turtured prims and flexis, not even sculpties (I think).

image.png.c6d0833e69ca799352ed5eccf906315e.png

And this is right now. Obviously I still like that kind of skin tone, and crazy hair colors.

• Like 22

My oldest ever photo that I could find in SL is this : 

image.thumb.png.ad2b4686153bdbddb7c160cf59d46b80.png

The hair was a mess and I didn't learn how to dress properly, I had this long black asian hair and tattoos. 

Now the tattoos are the same - I don't think I will ever change them. The look is pretty similar, I haven't tried some crazy looks yet but you never know. I just upgraded the body to legacy and the head to Lelutka and new hair from Vango, changed the hair color to red. I updated my picture logo/watermark thingy too. Of course I upgraded the clothes and shoes too and this is the final result from today : 

image.thumb.png.50eb6062a11bfbbdfe354e33e4f27547.png

• Like 21

5 hours ago, Yuukie Onmura said:

for the age, i'd say maybe 2008.

well, what do you know, I managed to narrow that down. Almost exactly 14 years, that pic was taken on May 16, 2008. And Moriko and me are still together after all those years. Now I gottacheck if the location still exists - that was at phat catz jazz club ...

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Great aging (stain, etc.) effects on the old snapshot! *Edit* Not joking, I think it's cool.

That actually came from me taking a Snip screenshot of a really old picture from my Flickr (one of me that was on a 'Wanted' posted) and that picture was originally uploaded at really low quality.  I knew very little about photos back then.  

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

• Lindens

The first one is the oldest texture in my inventory, from right after I joined the Concierge Team back in 2007...

image.png.571ea5fdf3b9a61be2ebbdfbef7b150e.pngimage.thumb.png.d674251ade9c1aa5449cce7b127d03fc.png

The fairy wings and tutu are from when I was recently dubbed a "fairy of chaos" by my team :) 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

During the first six years it felt like Second Life had impactful changes more than twice per year.  Just in 2005 alone avatars look like they are from three different games things changed so rapidly.  I used this this forum as an excuse to mess around in an art program for hours and you probably won't see the results.  My computer is very old so the 2022 doesn't look spectacular.  I tried to adjust my current to be close to my size in the 2005.  I could post a 2006 to show just how different things were by then compared to this 2005. 

Oldest-Youngest-SLMay2022Only-NoBG.jpeg.be00b6e31af2147a2a9172743a34b270.jpeg

• Like 20

I did not find a portrait from 2006 (back then, Henri did not even have textured skin or eyes, and his hair cut was based on the basic hair wearable asset)...

I found a snapshot from 2007 but it is just too small to see properly the details.

However, I found in my inventory the old shape, skin, eyes, hair, clothes and accessories I was wearing back, in mid-2007 (i.e. about one year after I joined SL), so here you go, with Henri in his human form (he got many others, but they are NSFW):

Henri-2007.png.685acb4fc26b5c5bdcc9d13f20d8272b.pngHenri-2022.png.b8a4125a88521a66f9ea5e7e5d243a90.png

The shape has practically not changed, even though Henri is now wearing a BoM mesh body (but without a mesh head, i.e. this is still the good old SL avatar head). Over years, he gained high resolution eyes and skin and (non-rigged) mesh hair... That's about it !

• Like 19