Signature has a new mesh male body, Davis, and an update for Gianni. What are your thoughts?

Echelon Alcott

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Signature refreshed its store, and released the new male mesh body Davis and mesh head Nathan. Alongside the new body, Gianni received some love, with an updated HUD and a few new cool features.

You can see all the new features for Davis in this YouTube video [link]. My personal opinion is that Davis seems to be a bit more muscular compared to Gianni, especially when wearing the skins that come out-of-the-box with the body. I like that the skins that come out-of-the box with the body include the head; this should alleviate some of the pain (and cost) for new players creating their first mesh avatar. I thought it was a stroke of genius from Signature's part to include a body deformer for Davis, so it can wear Gianni clothing, until clothing rigged for Davis is more widely available in the market.

Snapshot_097.thumb.png.9111882a5c252bd963087864208e4f32.png

I noticed that avatar complexity (AC) has gone up a bit for Davis (wearing the demo) compared to Gianni, and Beq Janus' avatar rendering time (ART) has also gone up slightly on my computer. I also noticed that ART for Gianni 6.0 is slightly higher compared to Gianni 5.0a as well. I was hoping for a lower ART with the Gianni update. Hopefully in the next update *fingers crossed*.

1833724538_Gianni5_0ART.png.b14900fb3e1808bb30455426e498c43c.png

2114871167_Gianni6_0ART.png.0abd1d1f9e50e333e86e2526ebb5d953.png

What are your thoughts of a new male mesh body in the market for guys? And what are your thoughts on the Gianni update?

Edited by Echelon Alcott
Added Nathan mesh head to post.
  • Like 4

I think a render time of 4,891 µs and 4661 µs are both horrendous. But that 4,661 µs is really only 0.004661 Seconds or 4.661 Milliseconds in typical SL frame time so over all it isn't much of a problem when there are only two avatars in a scene.

Slink's new Chai body is about 140 µs... which means you could have 33 of those bodies in the same scene for the same render cost.

It is a nice looking body.

• Like 4

I have Gianni on one of my alts and I never use it because I can't make it slim enough for me - mainly in the shoulders/biceps.  I have my upper body muscle slider set to 10, and for me it's still too big.  Can't get that Slink "swimmers build", so I use mostly Belleza because I can slim it up better.

Anyway when I looked at the release, the idea of a MORE muscular Signature body annoyed me (I'm one of the 4 people who bought Geralt because it was thinner and we see how that turned out bleh) so I just logged in to try the demo. 

The above pictures notwithstanding (must be the shape they used), the body IS quite a bit slimmer than Gianni (or it can be made to be) - at least the upper body.  I slipped it on over my Gianni shape, and the arms and shoulders are *much* thinner.  Interestingly, the love handles are more pronounced.  The lower body, however, is thicker - the thighs and butt poked through my Gianni shorts.  Not too much, but it is clearly very lower body weighted.

I'll play with it more when I get home, I'm at a coffee shop and didn't want to disturb anyone with naked avatars lol, but if one can make a thinner shape AND wear all the Gianni supported clothes, it might be worth considering.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jaysin Beorn said:

I'll play with it more when I get home, I'm at a coffee shop and didn't want to disturb anyone with naked avatars lol, but if one can make a thinner shape AND wear all the Gianni supported clothes, it might be worth considering.

It is my understanding that when you use the deformer on the Davis mesh body, it is effectively transformed into a Gianni body, so it can partake on the clothing rigged for Gianni. The deformer is a stopgap measure until creators rig clothing for Davis; Signature is not envisioning people using the deformer indefinitely. Having said that, if I were in the market right now for a mesh body, buying Davis sounds like getting two bodies (Davis and Gianni-through-deformer) for the price of one (unless someone corrects my understanding). But I really would like to see the avatar rendering time lowered for all Signature mesh bodies.

I will probably grab a demo on my male alt, but from a visual standpoint it looks no different than most other male bodies to me.

Sometimes these threads(new body such n such, what're your thoughts?) come off suspiciously like underhanded advertisements lol.

Overall though, I personally don't see myself getting another male body right now. It doesn't look bad by any means, and i'm glad it's not looking like some "fad" or muscle tumor body, but I just don't see it bringing anything new to the table atm.

Heck, as it stands I won't be touching anymore female bodies for a while either. Maitreya suddenly popping up with a new one though.. that'll turn my head for sure.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jaysin Beorn said:

(I'm one of the 4 people who bought Geralt because it was thinner and we see how that turned out bleh

I'm another of those 4!

I swung by the store to grab the update for my Gianni (which I ended up using despite preferring Geralt, as I kind of like wearing clothes ..), and noticed that Geralt wasn't even present in the store. Gianni, Davis, and Alice all had their vendors set up - Geralt not having that, in spite of having been updated to 6.0 as well, struck me as peculiar.

13 hours ago, Jaysin Beorn said:

The above pictures notwithstanding (must be the shape they used), the body IS quite a bit slimmer than Gianni (or it can be made to be) - at least the upper body.  I slipped it on over my Gianni shape, and the arms and shoulders are *much* thinner.  Interestingly, the love handles are more pronounced.  The lower body, however, is thicker - the thighs and butt poked through my Gianni shorts.  Not too much, but it is clearly very lower body weighted.

I grabbed a demo of the Davis too and put it on. With my Gianni shape the arms turned all spindly, which was interesting. The legs though .. Yeah, I couldn't shape those anywhere near to match. The posterior, too, was much too bubble-shaped for my taste.

I'm not entirely sure what the thinking behind the new body is. It strikes me as being much of the same issue as for female bodies - muscular male bodies are a pretty saturated market, just the same as curvy women's bodies are. Adding more competition to that market only to stretch the creators' workload out to rig for more and more bodies, especially with how small the market for menswear already is, doesn't quite add up in my mind. 

The head I quite liked, especially that it comes with a beard (with quite a few options, even), since that's been one of the reasons I never went for a Lelutka. I'll be playing around with it a bit to see if I can shape it to something I like. My current head is beginning to feel somewhat outdated ..

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Orwar said:

The head I quite liked, especially that it comes with a beard (with quite a few options, even), since that's been one of the reasons I never went for a Lelutka.

Lelutka heads also come with beards but they're add-ons that you must unpack. Maybe you just don't like them since they're quite short IMO and one looks more like a 3-day unshaved guy.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I will try the new Gianni 6.1 update and see if that works. The 6.0 did not so I am back with 5.0. But then again that's not a big issue because I like my 5.0 anyway.

I agree that the David body is to muscular even compare to my Gianni and I think that one is a bit to muscular. My GF has a slink physics witch I love but I couldn't care less for hourglass and those maitreya body's. They look like a shop plastic mannequin or something ;) 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just found out they're having a 50% off sale until May 30th 12PM SLT.

I had an alt demo the Davis and nobody has mentioned the feet poses?!  If the creator decides not to have the Gianni with the feet poses in future updates, I might pick up the Davis up for Greg just for this feature alone.

davisdemo.thumb.jpg.5d69ac3830345859fc3d4d01cd8d9848.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I just wear the Gianni deformer for which I already have a shape made for.

Oh, I'd want it super, super thin, though. Even Jake is too built for me. I make do with Legacy for now, but I'm always whining about his arms. 😂

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh, I'd want it super, super thin, though. Even Jake is too built for me. I make do with Legacy for now, but I'm always whining about his arms. 😂

I hear ya. The arms are always tough to do. This is the best I could do with the Gianni:

greg_001.thumb.png.46ca21e1894a8225f485eb1de25edb1b.png

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

The arms are always tough to do. This is the best I could do with the Gianni:

greg_001.thumb.png.46ca21e1894a8225f485eb1de25edb1b.png

That's pretty good! But yeah, those dang arms!!!!! 

You managed to get him thinner than me, though! I left mine kind of "average" and just do my best to hide the arm muscles with tattoos and slender-fit clothing.

Enforcer's pants are great for that btw. Look how thin they make the legs! BUT DEM ARMS!!!! Gah. 😂 

image.thumb.png.2f9ff29515346568af6efffb2f4cb07c.png

• Like 2

I use gianni and get updated,

betyer hud

ok for shape overal is good , but there are something not proportional.

gianni upper arm is too long and bicep sit its not right.

normaly bicep not sit like .that.

seeing davis in your pictute t his hip too narrow and funny quads. look like balloon

gianni best shape if you keep his height around 6 to 6.1 ft. pushing him over that height , you got thinner quads.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:47 PM, LightPoet said:

I went for the Geralt body about 2 years ago.  I think it looks better built than the Gianna in term of proportions.  I feel very disappointed that his body appears to be dropped now! 

I agree completely. I chose Geralt because it has its nipples on the front of the pecs, not hangin from their underside. A Geralt update came out, which made all my footwear unwearable. Davis has even worse hanging nipples than GIanni. After all the money and time I spent on Geralt - I will never waste another L$ on Signature - grr

• 1 month later...

I have a Signature Gianni body. Sometimes I have the feeling that I wear balloons around my arms and legs. It looks my arms get ripped of with some movements. It is not perfect but the hud is very user friendly and there are much clothes for available. I have tested the Davis body. It has the same issues. The only more it can do for me is showing more body hair. It causes more complexity. Sorry not worth to buy for me.

Edited by Gerco Zwiers
I wanted to add something.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.