US Residents to begin paying Sales Tax

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That isn't how it works. I've already linked how it does work.

You still are not understanding what I was talking about.

I am not about to get into an argument on this.  I learned long ago how misunderstandings happen around here and all comments trying to clarify will be rebutted until I stop posting so that you get the last word. 

You constantly say that people never understand you, but you are very good at not understanding others and yet insisting you know what they meant.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 11:41 PM, EVE Lyter said:

Thanks LL for making people leave Second Life and make other grids better,you are the best.

If you apply this logic on other things ...so to be the best you just need to be cheaper than your competition? So to say...the best stuff I can get is at the 100 yen shop?! XD 

Sorry but SL getting a little more expensive for some (for some others it's already like that and more for years ;)) does not make any other "grid" less crappy than they are.

• Like 2

I blame the government,   always looking for another place to dip their wick ...    double dipping as often as possible....

greedy ba$tar'd$.....         It won't change anything for me ...    I'll spend what I can afford,  just like I do now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

I blame the government,   always looking for another place to dip their wick ...    double dipping as often as possible....

greedy ba$tar'd$.....         It won't change anything for me ...    I'll spend what I can afford,  just like I do now.

How is it double dipping? They are taxing digital products.. its not like they are charging the creator sale tax to sell it and you sales tax to buy it.. Only one tax applies..

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Apparently, people who do not understand never bought anything from the internet that required paying sales tax.  

I see absolutely no difference.

I don't think it is a matter of folks never having bought anything from the internet where sales tax was applied, and thus not understanding this.

Some states do see a difference between physical good and digital goods.  The taxing of digital goods is new to many of us.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

How is it double dipping? They are taxing digital products.. its not like they are charging the creator sale tax to sell it and you sales tax to buy it.. Only one tax applies..

Oh,  I was talking about the fact they tax us when we make it,  they tax us when we spend it ...   If I over pay taxes and get a refund,  they tax that a second time.    The government (in the USA) is greedy and inefficient.  I'm sure there is a whole department looking for more things to tax.  (shrugs)  Just my 2 cents,  nothing more. :)

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I don't think it is a matter of folks never having bought anything from the internet where sales tax was applied, and thus not understanding this.

Some states do see a difference between physical good and digital goods.  The taxing of digital goods is new to many of us.

That's interesting. I can't tell the difference, as SL creators intended! Because some of the SL content is that good.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

Oh,  I was talking about the fact they tax us when we make it,  they tax us when we spend it ...   If I over pay taxes and get a refund,  they tax that a second time.    The government (in the USA) is greedy and inefficient.  I'm sure there is a whole department looking for more things to tax.  (shrugs)  Just my 2 cents,  nothing more. :)

That's not the government doing the taxing when you spend it.. That's state.  Move to New Hampshire, no income or sales taxes. 

No, no they do not tax you a second time on your refund. That is a complete lie. Extremely specialized circumstances will get your state tax taxed if you itemized your state and federal taxes and were refunded more than you claimed you would be. They are then taxing you on money that was not taxed in the first place. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That's not the government doing the taxing when you spend it.. That's state. 

The "state" is still government.  It is simply State government rather than Federal government.  Just a different set of politicians.

15 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

That's not the government doing the taxing when you spend it.. That's state.  Move to New Hampshire, no income or sales taxes. 

No, no they do not tax you a second time on your refund. That is a complete lie. Extremely specialized circumstances will get your state tax taxed if you itemized your state and federal taxes and were refunded more than you claimed you would be. They are then taxing you on money that was not taxed in the first place. 

Government is government to me.  I don't care to debate this issue,  I'm too lazy.  

I did google it....   I know I have (for whatever reason) been taxed on a refund - and to ME  that is double dipping.  

In general, state and local income tax refunds are taxable if the refunded tax was deducted in a prior year and you received a tax benefit from the deduction. Refunds are partially taxable if your itemized deductions last year exceeded your standard deduction by less than the amount of the refund.

3 minutes ago, Cali Souther said:

Government is government to me.  I don't care to debate this issue,  I'm too lazy.  

I did google it....   I know I have (for whatever reason) been taxed on a refund - and to ME  that is double dipping.  

In general, state and local income tax refunds are taxable if the refunded tax was deducted in a prior year and you received a tax benefit from the deduction. Refunds are partially taxable if your itemized deductions last year exceeded your standard deduction by less than the amount of the refund.

What that basically boils down to is that since I claim my State tax as a deduction on my Federal return -- so that I don't get taxed on the State tax (or on all of it anyway) -- then if the State sends me a refund for that same year of taxes (meaning I did not really pay as much State tax as I claimed on my Federal return), then I have to claim the refund on the Federal return in the year that I received the refund.

I've been doing all of that for more years than I can count now.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cali Souther said:

You should see the tax percentages in countries like The Netherlands.
Taxes in the USA are very low compared to ours.

Just one example: gas prize at the moment at the gas stations 2.49 euro per liter (over nine USD a gallon)  63% in total are taxes.
Of course the war related high prices for oil are part of the price but still, it could be 63% cheaper without taxes.

But to be honest, I don't mind paying taxes as long as they are used for the best of the whole community like good infrastructure, free or affordable high level education, affordable and excellent healthcare for everybody, reasonable social security and still a good pension system, subventions for amateur sports, cultural events, theater productions, quality public radio and tv.  And that is all the case in my country.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Just one example: gas prize at the moment at the gas stations 2.49 euro per liter (over nine USD a gallon)  63% in total are taxes.
Of course the war related high prices for oil are part of the price but still, it could be 63% cheaper without taxes.

But to be honest, I don't mind paying taxes as long as they are used for the best of the whole community like good infrastructure, free or affordable high level education, affordable and excellent healthcare for everybody, reasonable social security and still a good pension system, subventions for amateur sports, cultural events, theater productions, quality public radio and tv.  And that is all the case in my country.

That is wonderful !!   Kudos to The Netherlands. :)

I do not want to sound like a whiney brat about paying taxes, but I do not think the US spends our tax dollars very wisely or for the benefit of the whole community.   Corruption is high and personal gain is a priority for the lot of politicians here.  Again,  this is just MY opinion.  I am sure there are many that would disagree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

In California we have the highest state taxes on gasoline of any state in the US (except maybe Hawaii?). These state imposed taxes go largely to road maintenance, the development of non-polluting energy, and an anti-smoking campaign (if I remember correctly). We Californians love to drive everywhere. We started the drive-in restaurant and are known to move our cars when we shop in multiple stores in the same shopping area. Even so, I was able to buy gasoline last weekend at just under $ 5/ gallon. I know it costs more in Europe, so I'm not complaining.

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 4:44 PM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

I'm fine with this,  I get hit everywhere else for sales taxes online now.  SL might as well be one of the other places to get them too.   

Pretty much my sentiments on the matter. I pay taxes when I order from Amazon and the like, so there you have it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 779 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.