Why is viewer restart required?

Furholio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It would be even better if the servers (and viewers, since it would involve a protocol/data exchange between them and the grid) had a fallback mechanism for failed TPs or sim restarts, like automatically teleporting your avatar in a safe place (with the proper maturity rating, corresponding to the one of the region you were trying to TP to or were logged in before the restart), just like what happens when you try and log in in a region which is currently down.

There is no reason for being disconnected at all from the grid as long as the network is not the cause for the sim connection loss...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Henri Beauchamp said:

It would be even better if the servers (and viewers, since it would involve a protocol/data exchange between them and the grid) had a fallback mechanism for failed TPs ...

A more robust system that didn't leave the client hanging for a TP fail has been desperately needed since day one.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2022 at 1:03 AM, Ardy Lay said:

Make it a reliable handshake protocol.   If I don't show up intact at the destination tell the origin to retransmit the missing parts.

Or how about a "limbo-mode" where no connection to a sim is required at all, but you still have access to your IM sessions :), receive group messages, ... ok ok i better stop, lol

On 2/26/2022 at 3:03 AM, Coffee Pancake said:

A more robust system that didn't leave the client hanging for a TP fail

It's interesting you should say "robust", because for the past 9 months I've been exploring the "other" grids and have not once had a TP crash-to-desktop. Plenty of "destination cannot be found",  but never a fail with a crash to desktop. It could of course be the sparse population that gives a less onerous environment...

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

and have not once had a TP crash-to-desktop.

If you crash to desktop (i.e. the viewer actually crashes and vanishes all of a sudden), then it is a viewer bug !... When a TP fails, you may get disconnected, but the viewer should stay up and running (with the 3D view frozen and greyed out), alert you about the disconnection and let you the choice between closing the session or continuing to read IMs, notifications, chat and anything you have not yet read.

If you actually crash, then please report that crash to the viewer developer(s team), with the crash info (logs, crash dump, etc)...

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Furholio said:

Or how about a "limbo-mode" where no connection to a sim is required at all, but you still have access to your IM sessions :), receive group messages, ... ok ok i better stop, lol

For what it's worth, your IMs are still functional while you're stuck in a teleport and you know it's guaranteed to log you out. You can send/receive IMs up until the moment you get logged.

3 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

Or, you know, the work to fix it might be too hard.

Repeatable bugs are the easy bugs, they take no time at all to fix and generally aren't hard once a dev has a reproduction. Think baking a cake that comes out tasting funny, and the recipe explicitly says to add anchovies. 

Intermittent bugs that exist at the intersection of 2 or (many) more conditions are the hard bugs. We're making a fish pie, the only ingredients are fish, we have checked all the fish to be fish and are now interviewing the guy who painted the name on the boat that catches the fish. The solution will likely involve the precession of venus, janitors named john and 3 kinds of magic that when combined in exactly the right order, on a Tuesday, turn one of the fish into a pumpkin resulting in shoes up your avatars butt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Repeatable bugs are the easy bugs, they take no time at all to fix and generally aren't hard once a dev has a reproduction. Think baking a cake that comes out tasting funny, and the recipe explicitly says to add anchovies. 

Intermittent bugs that exist at the intersection of 2 or (many) more conditions are the hard bugs. We're making a fish pie, the only ingredients are fish, we have checked all the fish to be fish and are now interviewing the guy who painted the name on the boat that catches the fish. The solution will likely involve the precession of venus, janitors named john and 3 kinds of magic that when combined in exactly the right order, on a Tuesday, turn one of the fish into a pumpkin resulting in shoes up your avatars butt.

Will it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to know that, in the design of things like defibrillators and patient monitors (and apparently 737 Max aircraft), debugging works pretty much as you've described?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Will it make you feel all warm and fuzzy to know that, in the design of things like defibrillators and patient monitors (and apparently 737 Max aircraft), debugging works pretty much as you've described?

I live in that rabbit hole, I better be feeling all warm and fuzzy !!

• Haha 1

Computer Science is often stated as doing the same thing over and over and getting various different results.  Here you have explained by example that some variables are not being properly controlled when iterating through the process.

Probably why I was taught to stress test the variability out of the hardware being used to test the software.  Eliminate all unknown variables in the hardware and most of the apparent randomness in the software run results vanish.  For example, compilers do not produce object code containing invalid op-codes.  If you get an invalid op-code at run-time, chances are it was caused by a hardware malfunction.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Thanks for reminding me I really do need to stop putting off buying an actual grown up silly scope :/

I never (okay, rarely?) leave home without one...
https://www.amazon.com/SainSmart-Handheld-Pocket-Sized-Oscilloscope-Channels/dp/B07JQ3HRMX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

This is the current version of my bench scope...
https://www.saelig.com/ds1000z-plus/ds1074z-plus.htm

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I keep looking at portable scopes, but the reality is I'm something of a shut in (yaay anxiety 🥳), so as much as I like my toys ...

21 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is the current version of my bench scope...
https://www.saelig.com/ds1000z-plus/ds1074z-plus.htm

I was pondering one of these two

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1202x-e/

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1104x-e-100-mhz/

2 channels 200Mhz vs 4 channels 100Mhz and a logic analyzer option .. leaning towards the 200Mhz and a separate logic analyzer, should do me for all the junk I seem to spend my life poking.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I keep looking at portable scopes, but the reality is I'm something of a shut in (yaay anxiety 🥳), so as much as I like my toys ...

I was pondering one of these two

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1202x-e/

https://siglentna.com/product/sds1104x-e-100-mhz/

2 channels 200Mhz vs 4 channels 100Mhz and a logic analyzer option .. leaning towards the 200Mhz and a separate logic analyzer, should do me for all the junk I seem to spend my life poking.

My all time favorite scope was Dad's Tek 2465. I grew up on four channels, so it's hard to consider less. He paid a fortune for it when I entered engineering school, and it was better than anything in school labs. I donated it to the local maker club a few years ago, when I got the Rigol.

I did a lot of analog design over my career, and often found the need for more than two channels, usually because I was implementing some kind of control system and needed a good look at both the cause and effect and possibly stages of each. Though it was fun at the time, I don't want to revisit needing eight channels of scope or 80 channels of logic analyzer.

The Siglent scopes you're looking at are better than my Rigol, and are well liked by their users. I don't think you'll go wrong with either of them. If there's any advantage of having a logic analyzer built into the scope, it's in triggering. It can be handy, or even crucial, to be able to trigger the scope on the occurrence of some pattern in the logic. If you have a separate logic analyzer with a trigger output, that's not an issue. Ignoring the trigger issue, a PC based logic analyzer is far superior to a stand alone, if your sampling rate is low enough for continuous tracing into the PC's memory, where you can do a post mortem autopsy on the complete corpse. It's no fun trying to catch bugs that happen once an hour in a system you can only log for two seconds.

I have one of these somewhere in the lab as it works on macOS...
https://www.saleae.com/
Those analyzers do NOT have a trigger output, but do have analog input and can act as a low bandwidth scope.

ETA: Regarding scopes in the wild, I've always been curious about natural phenomena. I have a small photodetector probe that mates with my pocket scope. I use it to look at the blinky things my fast retinas notice. Some years ago I noticed that some TVs at Best Buy annoyed the hell out of me with their flickering. They were all plasma sets and all advertised 600Hz refresh rates. That seemed wrong to me, as I know my flicker fusion threshold is maybe 75-80Hz.

I was curious, so I built a small photo probe for an old portable scope and went back to Best Buy. Pointing it at the TV, I saw pronounced flicker at 60Hz, with tiny ripples at 600Hz. I deduced that, although the screen really was flashing at 600Hz, it achieved a wide range of total brightness (256 levels) by splitting up the total light output into 10 flashes of 26 levels each. Returning home to Google it, I discovered that's exactly how it's done. My eyes were detecting the one frame in ten that contained the remainder of the brightness, mod10.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 813 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.