forget me and privacy with the time

Gabriel Isodo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

how long do you keep message ? Is it a way to delete old message. I notice we can find message very old.

Messages here in the forums or inworld?

Here is the forums, you can delete the conversation.  Click the conversation on the left side.  On the right, click Options at the top of the conversation and click Delete

1 Is it possible

2 How to do

3 why doing this

When we as question we have alway this 3 questions

Why (I always learn that this is the wost question but ... ) just because I don't like my 3 years old or more conversation are still on the web and the whole planete are able to check this. this is just the basic of confidentiality

Edited by Gabriel Isodo
  • Confused 1

1. Outside of the forum, your chat and IM logs exist solely on your computer
  2. Inside of the forum, your public facing posts exist until edited out
    1. A copy exists of the edits made that the moderation team can access - by design

If you have an issue with any of this, time to rethink a whole host of interactions.

Now, care to sound a bit less paranoid?

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Bagnu said:

Why would you want to delete conversations?

I don't see a reason to keep old ones unless there is something in them that I might want to reference again in the future.

Then again, I'm a database administrator in RL and tend to not eat up storage space for stuff that isn't actually useful.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

how long do you keep message ? Is it a way to delete old message. I notice we can find message very old.

For as long as there are servers holding this stuff.

If you don't like something you wrote on this website, you could ask Linden Lab to remove it, but a lot is archived, and as you've probably discovered, once you have written something on these forums, you only have up to 24 hours to edit it and the only way to delete what you wrote is to go back into the post and edit, leave only one character, a dot or something.  If someone has quoted your post though, it is there forever, or until the cleaner at Linden Lab pulls the plug for the server out of it's socket.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

that's exactly why I keep conversations.  SL chat records are pretty small, so It's not a space issue for me.

I keep all inworld chat logs forever.  Those are stored on my computer.  LL will have their own settings for how much they keep in their databases.

It is the forum messages/conversations that I sometimes clean up.  Best I can tell, LL never deletes those, so I get rid of the stuff I just don't need to keep.  Less for me to scroll through when I'm looking for something.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

1 Is it possible

2 How to do

3 why doing this

When we as question we have alway this 3 questions

Why (I always learn that this is the wost question but ... ) just because I don't like my 3 years old or more conversation are still on the web and the whole planete are able to check this. this is just the basic of confidentiality

I run the worlds largest car forum,  we date back almsot 20 years running, we have messages 20 years old, guess what will never be deleted, any of those messages and we've had some real zingers over the years.   but the matter of it is,  forums tend to never delete anything, because it messes up structure and flow of topics and removes answers and items of interests in early days.

• Like 2

I try to edit old reply but it does not work.

thank you all for your reply. I think this forum is rules by US law and there should not be special regulation like in Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation#Rectification_and_erasure

Such low protect user online. But I know it does not exists here. thank you

I don't know where is Linden Lab if it is in California but a similar law exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Consumer_Privacy_Act

right to be forgotten.

Edited by Gabriel Isodo
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Marigold Devin said:

For as long as there are servers holding this stuff.

If you don't like something you wrote on this website, you could ask Linden Lab to remove it, but a lot is archived, and as you've probably discovered, once you have written something on these forums, you only have up to 24 hours to edit it and the only way to delete what you wrote is to go back into the post and edit, leave only one character, a dot or something.  If someone has quoted your post though, it is there forever, or until the cleaner at Linden Lab pulls the plug for the server out of it's socket.

I didn't know I have 24h to edit. At least I know that here in this forum there is no privacy and no deletion possible. At least easily

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

thank you all for your reply. I think this forum is rules by US law and there should not be special regulation like in Europe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation#Rectification_and_erasure

It doesn't matter if it's in the U.S as long as it has users from the E.U /does business with E.U it must be GDPR compliant.

44 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I didn't know I have 24h to edit. At least I know that here in this forum there is no privacy and no deletion possible. At least easily

There's certainly plenty out there for a lot of people (including myself undoubtedly) to be embarrassed about, but really, most things we say just get buried underneath all the other internet clutter.  

And look at famous people who often say and do really stupid - sometimes quite horrendous - things, and they have to live with that forever and ever and ever. It's good to be a small fish in a big pond sometimes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I don't know where is Linden Lab if it is in California but a similar law exists https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Consumer_Privacy_Act

right to be forgotten.

Read the TOS -- somewhere in there it will tell you how to contact LL if you wish them to remove all evidence of you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Pretty sure that all relates to personal data and not something posted on a forum.  Once it's on the internet, it's there forever seems to still apply.

Internet is not eternal and forever. Even facebook Linden Lab and google will die.  We have the right to have an option to delete all our old data. Yes write webmaster somewhere is an option

Other question. If we delete Secondlife account is all our discussion deleted as well on this forem? I guess no.

• Haha 1

I work with and am regularly trained in GPR law.

GDPR laws apply specifically only to personal data. This means things like your real name, real address, real date of birth, real marital status, real medical records, real tax records, and similar. Things that can be used to identify who you are in the real world. 

They do not apply to conversations or content posted anonymously on the internet under a name that is not your real legal name. They do not apply to conversations or content other people have posted about your avatar, if they do not contain your personal data. "Lewis Luminos" is not personal data, neither is any thread that I have posted or replied to= on this forum.

This is why the forum rules prohibit the sharing of the above personal data and why "doxxing" is widely banned on most internet sites. Moderators here are quick to delete such content if it ever appears. 

So no, Linden Lab is not obliged under GDPR law to delete any forum or inworld conversations unless they contain such personal data. They might choose to do so, but they do not have to do so. However there are some thigs that they would be obliged to delete if you asked them to. This would be information you gave when you signed up for your SL account; your name, date of birth, email address, payment methods and records of past US$ transactions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

Internet is not eternal and forever. Even facebook Linden Lab and google will die.  We have the right to have an option to delete all our old data. Yes write webmaster somewhere is an option

Other question. If we delete Secondlife account is all our discussion deleted as well on this forem? I guess no.

You guess right.

Just believe in yourself and realise there is an amount of time before you click the "send"/"post" button. Once you put information into a public place, it is public information.  

On a side note, I want to thank you for reminding me that there are archived Second Life forums. Some old names of people who did indeed delete their accounts come up when I Google search (for Flickr as well as Second Life forums). It's good to go on a nostalgia trip while I drink my coffee this morning.

Edited by Marigold Devin
  • Like 1

Okay so I went and looked at the forum software, since we have several solutions sitting on the server for the car forum and several not self hosted,   none of them provide at all full deletion of what you want,  I can blank the account and it says guest on them, but that's as far as it can go,  this was across 6 popular forum software, including this one like this.    but with how LL has the account system tied to the forum system,  even if they delete it,  it will not delete the account here not delete the content, since that is synced from SL name server to the forum,  so likely you might get a few hours with it saying guest and then once it synces the name will return.

Sorry, but I tried to find a solution for you.

Edited by bigmoe Whitfield
added info.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 880 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.