Relax buddy, I’m not looking at your girlfriend!

davidventer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There is a very legit reason to have show look at enabled. 

scenario 1 

I like that shirt daddy can you buy it for me? Avatars cross hairs are on a cute little pink top on the wall of a business..

scenario 2 

region owner speaking to a designer, remove that one. 

cross hairs locked on a very nasty alpha ugly bush..

Not sure if we covered this or not lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Why not?  I actually went amd turned mine on so everyone could see what I was looking at today.  I'll probably continue doing so just to see if anyone says anything.  When or if they do, I'll either ignore them completely or launch into some long rant back about why they have them on if it bothers them so much.  It's been a bit boring in SL the last few weeks.

What is don't be a drama hoe?

Anyone-who-has-time-for-drama-is-not-gar

I'll take Gardening Tips for Drama Queens for $800, Alex.

Edit: Not aimed at anyone in particular. You're supposed to laugh. And stupid edit window isn't displaying all option at full screen on a 24-inch monitor. It's that blasted thread info module. So, I can't shrink the font size.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Who gardens while wearing full leggings and flats?

Well. Those aren't leggings. They are straight leg jeans aka skinny jeans.

Who wears heels when gardening? I sure don't. I have better sense than that. Depending on what I'm doing I may even go barefoot.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Well. Those aren't leggings. They are straight leg jeans aka skinny jeans.

Who wears heels when gardening? I sure don't. I have better sense than that. Depending on what I'm doing I may even go barefoot.

She's wearing something over her legs/feet inside the jeans.

I'd still be wearing boots.

Far too many times, I've unearthed broken glass while gardening, and there's always biting bugs around, not to mention spiders.

Who wants those crawling on their bare feet?

Edited by Lucia Nightfire

7 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Why not?

So I can I go to public venues in peace without girls in front of me DM’ing me all upset, thinking I’m “perving” on them. 

FYI, I’m homo. I perv at dudes, not girls. 😂

7 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

When or if they do, I'll either ignore them completely or launch into some long rant back about why they have them on if it bothers them so much. 

😂👏 Maybe I’ll do the same. 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

There is a very legit reason to have show look at enabled. 

Okay, Makes sense yeah, that and the RP aspects mentioned before. 

In such cases, Linden Lab should then make this an easily toggle-able feature on the official viewer too then, including names on the crosshairs for those who have legitimate reasons for using it. And the ability to hide own ‘look-at’ from others for those who don’t want to use it for such things, and who don’t want to get pulled into other’s RP or paranoia (without having to modify XML files to do so). 

Edited by davidventer
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The problem is many can not disassociate themselves from their avatars and they are so narcissistic that any negative interactions or threats perceived to their avatar gets people severely butt hurt.

Btw the legitimacy of mesh avatars and the super realistic illustrations of such go way beyond cartoon and therefore people take their avatars way to serious. 

Sometimes the person is actually clicking on the avatar to “inspect” them. If an avatars shoes appeal to me you betcha I am inspecting you/them.

With the mesh SL avis have come a long way.  The half-a-tars on Freakbook are totally cartoons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, davidventer said:

Okay, Makes sense yeah, that and the RP aspects mentioned before. 

In such cases, Linden Lab should then make this an easily toggle-able feature on the official viewer too then, including names on the crosshairs for those who have legitimate reasons for using it. And the ability to hide own ‘look-at’ from others for those who don’t want to use it for such things, and who don’t want to get pulled into other’s RP or paranoia (without having to modify XML files to do so). 

Or, maybe, Linden Lab should enable a feature like 'Derender yourself (if you do not want to be looked at by others' (you = general, not you) 🤣

• Haha 2

this happen to me once, I was cam to a female avatar , trying to right click her body , but always get the clothes, I wan to know what body she uses.

and she Im me said, are you spy on me, I said yes, and she said why I do such thing,

I tell her that I want to know what body nshe use, but I have no interest to ask her since there alot blablabla , before get to my point.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, davidventer said:

So I can I go to public venues in peace without girls in front of me DM’ing me all upset, thinking I’m “perving” on them. 

FYI, I’m homo. I perv at dudes, not girls. 😂

If you have your own group, you should make yourself a group tag that says "Your bf is hotter than you" 😆

51 minutes ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

this happen to me once, I was cam to a female avatar , trying to right click her body , but always get the clothes, I wan to know what body she uses.

and she Im me said, are you spy on me, I said yes, and she said why I do such thing,

I tell her that I want to know what body nshe use, but I have no interest to ask her since there alot blablabla , before get to my point.

You need this:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/MB-What-is-She-Wearing/9129140

Edited by Maitimo
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

If you have your own group, you should make yourself a group tag that says "Your bf is hotter than you" 😆

You need this:

yes i have it now, hence  i dont do much cam now . i still using my pointer to point something for communication.

6 hours ago, Maitimo said:

You need this:

Damn. I'm never leaving my home parcel again.

Why do humans always have to suck the enjoyment out of everything. Are you fingers broken that you can't even type a simple question at someone? "Hi, sorry to interrupt. I was wondering where you got your mesh body, please?" 

Look at all the missed opportunities to make friends. Everyone loses.

JFHC.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Damn. I'm never leaving my home parcel again.

Why do humans always have to suck the enjoyment out of everything. Are you fingers broken that you can't even type a simple question at someone? "Hi, sorry to interrupt. I was wondering where you got your mesh body, please?" 

Look at all the missed opportunities to make friends. Everyone loses.

JFHC.

try create male avatar with new account. and let see ..🤣

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

On 1/31/2022 at 1:20 PM, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

As silly as this topic seems (at least to me personally), it does raise some interesting questions regarding how people identify with their avatars and what impact that may have on the way in which the metaverse develops.  After all an avatar, by definition, is the representation of an individual, an extension of our physical selves into the virtual world they inhabit, and some will identify more closely with their avatars than others.

While the lookat crosshair is completely innocuous, the fact that someone else can choose to 'attach' one to your avatar and your only choice is to ignore it, either literally or by disabling the option to display them, is clearly a problem for some people and despite how silly that may seem to the rest of us I suspect the question of how the notion of "personal space" translates into virtual worlds and what constitutes an invasion of that space will be discussed at great length as new virtual worlds emerge.  Apparently it's already becoming an issue in Meta.

Mother, 43, has her avatar groped by three male characters in the online Metaverse

So If I cam someone in SL because I like the avi or I am inspecting clothes I am interested to use myself it could potentionally mean I am sexually harassing them? 

IMHO is also wrong trying to interpolate RL to SL, given we are in an enclosed, sensorially and movement limited environment where our interactions come mainly from watching each others avatars and typing/voicing. 

If in RL someone is staring at you for long periods, by all means go away or say something. But I think we are a little over the top here.

Edited by Anakin Debevec
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anakin Debevec said:

So If I cam someone in SL because I like the avi or I am inspecting clothes I am interested to use myself it could potentionally mean I am sexually harassing them? 

I think we are a little over the top here.

Personally I'd say that "a little over the top" is an understatement, but based on the amount of times this topic has arisen and the reactions that some people seem to have to lookat targets it seems that there are at least some people that feel it's a violation of their personal boundaries.

Since the topic has come up yet again, we can either use it as another opportunity to point and laugh at the people with silly notions like this, or we could have a discussion about the mentality that drives those silly notions and what the underlying cause of peoples discomfort may be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

we could have a discussion about the mentality that drives those silly notions and what the underlying cause of peoples discomfort may be.

With all due respect, that is the job of a trained therapist.  Each individual will have their own reasons for their discomfort.  I think it's silly, you think it's silly, the OP thinks it's silly but apparently, more than a few don't.  Nothing you or I say will allay those fears/discomforts.  More importantly, if someone is feeling those things, the only solution is to shut off seeing that feature or don't go to public places in SL.  

Now, if someone is only using it for drama, all bets are off and best ignored or handled with just a bit of snark.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

With all due respect, that is the job of a trained therapist.  Each individual will have their own reasons for their discomfort.  I think it's silly, you think it's silly, the OP thinks it's silly but apparently, more than a few don't.  Nothing you or I say will allay those fears/discomforts.  More importantly, if someone is feeling those things, the only solution is to shut off seeing that feature or don't go to public places in SL.  

Now, if someone is only using it for drama, all bets are off and best ignored or handled with just a bit of snark.

I'm not trying to convince them or anyone else that their position is wrong.  I'm merely trying to understand their thought process because I'm curious as to why some individuals have this extreme reaction to something so harmless. 

I'm just interested in the topic being discussed, I have no interest in starting up an online support group for people who've been "molested by a crosshair".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 824 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.