FPS peak!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I am guilty of forgetting to logging out often and log out before work in the morning when I grab my stuff xD 

Sooo this morning like 5 mins ago I looked at my screen and was like HOLY FPS ... on this pic I stand at my skybox (I remodel excuse the mess x3) at 4000m height with ultra mode and advanced lighting on because I am a derp...but I thought naaah must be the height and good weather today lol

So I TP ground level and my daughters skybox (~~2000m) still seriouss FPS peak business...We are on mainland...and are surrounded by neighbors with weird stuffs x3 and I didn't have this high FPS here ever, sooo long question short anyone else noticing something like this? Are LL fiddling with it, after the script improvement thingy?

Or is it just because its before 6 am on this tuesday morning and SL tries to act all lovely and innocent? xD for real if they did something...whatever it is they should keep it up ❤️wtffp.thumb.png.b5744db8b0055a3baefb4b77829f6672.png
I have to go to work now otherwise I would investigate further haha or just TP to super laggy sims x3 

Edited by Gwin LeShelle
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

I have to limit my FPS or it will go stupid high ;)

SL_FPS978.jpg.46c310935933aea364f3db109e578ccb.jpg

On my desktop with lan it's much higher too XD but this is on my laptop with wireless lan ...we have  1GB download at home but the wifi on my laptop sucks x3 so for this little thing it like huuuge fps it went up to 104 at peak and usually I have around 50 on the laptoppy x3 

Did you notice it being higher too or is it just some happily little mistake or coincidence at my side? X3

2 minutes ago, Lewis Luminos said:

My fps is usually around 40-50 at ground level (mainland) and usually jumps to 80+ on my building platform. Not noticed any recent increase though. Maybe your local infrastructure has been upgraded?

Not that I have noticed but this has not to mean anything XD since I am leaving home very early and come back home usually when it's dark already I would not notice if some workers did things out on the streets especially since Tokyo is quite busy  x3 but do you have the 80+ with ultra and advanced lighting on too? Usually it drops a little for me with this on (on the laptop harder)...but really I won't complain if they updated things around us... but our router has not changed but whatever it is I hope it is like that with my Laptop later when I am back home and need to blog x3 

9 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

but do you have the 80+ with ultra and advanced lighting on too? Usually it drops a little for me with this on (on the laptop harder)...

Always advanced lighting on but usually not ultra (with shadows) unless I'm taking pics. But sometimes I do that, then forget and go about with other things while I'm still in Ulta, and it might be hours before I notice, so it's still at least a tolerable framerate even then.

7 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

The FPS you get has nothing to do with the region though, it has everything to do with your computer.

Nah in packed region with many avatars to render the fps definitely drop lower x3 it's not only about the computer.

• Like 1

My puter can poot  fps depending on the sim. An empty sim i could get 200 fps, but normally about 60-80 fps, but if it is a area with a lot of textures to rez, or a busy sim with a lot of avatars, my frame rate can actually tank, (meaning 10 fps or less,) and i gotta look at the ground for a bit till stuff rezzes.

Edited by shireena1
giggles at my post count....
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

My puter can poot  fps depending on the sim. An empty sim i could get 200 fps, but normally about 60-80 fps, but if it is a area with a lot of textures to rez, or a busy sim with a lot of avatars, my frame rate can actually tank, (meaning 10 fps or less,) and i gotta look at the ground for a bit till stuff rezzes.

Same for me x3 on this laptop I just wish I wasn't that lazy and would use the desktop more often for SL but ...I wanna sit in a pile of fluffyness on the tatami while being in SL ʕಠ_ಠʔ it's never laggy tho I can not complain XD especially with my 300k inventory ಥ‿ಥ

23 minutes ago, CaithLynnSayes said:

Uhm, that is why your FPS drops, because your computer has to render more (complex) things... 

True tho 💗

I too noticed a big jump in FPS, started a few days back. The Lindens did do something - another stage in the cloud project:

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/9883-second-life-simulator-update-with-script-performance-improvements/

Let's hope it continues. FPS isn't a great measure of performance in SL but it is the easiest thing to monitor.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Anicha Heartsong said:

I too noticed a big jump in FPS, started a few days back. The Lindens did do something - another stage in the cloud project:

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/9883-second-life-simulator-update-with-script-performance-improvements/

Let's hope it continues. FPS isn't a great measure of performance in SL but it is the easiest thing to monitor.

Yep I and some RL friends compared our numbers now in the afternoon and we all have a much higher FPS ( mine is now in the afternoon at ~~120 at my place a number I never saw befor on this laptop xD)  in our home regions than usual! And we surely won't complain ^^

And I also noticed that my peak must be a combined thing out of whatever the Lindens are tinkering with and that one of my neighbours emptied their before trashy parcel and the other one with the temp rezzing helicopter (it rerezzed 24/7 xD) took it finally off...but all this is ground level stuff it shouldn't have affected my FPS at 3000m I thiiink at least x3

The script thingy improvement mentioned in that post was the one I was talking about it, but first I could not much see of it beside scripts loading much faster! Maybe its the aftermath of this improvement that helped with this?

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

There's two kinds of frame rates.

First, there's the sim kind that is supposed to be 45 per second. This is literally the simulator frame rate. Anything slower than 45 fps can be considered true sim lag, caused by scripts and lots of physical objects interacting with each other. This mostly depends on how much physical surfaces the land owners have placed around, how many scripts there are running, how many people with scripts are teleporting in in a given time-frame, and, yes, whether LL has fiddled with the sim software. This frame rate will never get above 45 fps, though. You can look it up when you press Control-Shift-1 and scroll down to about 2/3rds of the stats window.

Then there's the client-side, which can be anything from 0 to 1000 fps. This depends on how many mesh objects people have rezzed around you, how many alpha-blend textures there are around you, your draw distance, your graphics settings and how powerful your computer is. This is out of the hands of Linden Lab and can only be influenced by you and other users. I recommend limiting your frame rate to 120 fps in cases like you described above. In some rare instances, high frame rates might fry your graphics card.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/playing-amazons-new-world-mmo-is-bricking-rtx-3090-graphics-cards

giphy.webp

[Update] I was wondering what your frame rate peak actually was, since the number was never mentioned in the original post. Judging from the screen shot, it's 80.3 fps? Don't worry about setting your frame rate to a 120 fps limit. lol

[Update 2] Just saw the 104 fps and a mention of a laptop in the comments. Still: no worries.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I usually have poor FPS - my graphics is set in the notch between High and Ultra, with shadows enabled and LOD set to 4 - so I never pay much attention to my FPS to avoid grinding my teeth. But after seeing this thread, I tested it around mainland, full private sim and homestead - with graphics set to Ultra, LOD at 4 and shadows enabled - and have to concur that it has improved. Wow, good job, LL!

SL looks shinier now. :D

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 848 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.