Are there really any differences between male bodies?

Bowlslaw

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Bowlslaw said:

I got Legacy Athletic, and the only use the HUD for 1) Turning on BoM and 2) Alphas, sometimes. Other than that, I have basically no use for the HUD, so its poor design doesn't bother me.

Yeah, it's the alphas that make me nuts.  And the fact that you're supposed to be able to export them somehow?  And every time I try to do it, I'm told I must be on build supported land with rez rights... when I'm literally standing in a region I own with my land group tag on lol

So I've thrown in the towel... for now.  Never say never :)

21 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Signing on to the Jake body's ease of use.  It's currently my male alt's preferred body.  He owns Gianni, Jake, Kario, and Legacy (both the original and Athletic)... and he ends up defaulting to Jake mostly because of a) creator support, b) ability to shape it how I like, and c) the hud.

Legacy is absolutely a beautiful body, but both the complexity of the body itself as well as the hud keep me from making it his default.  That hud makes me want to eat glass.

Still, I prefer the Legacy HUD over the Kario "wear the alpha cuts" model. Sure, Jake´s is better than both by a mile.

However, the choices left me thinking.... Jake and Legacy Athletic are nothing alike, shape-wise.

9 minutes ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Still, I prefer the Legacy HUD over the Kario "wear the alpha cuts" model. Sure, Jake´s is better than both by a mile.

However, the choices left me thinking.... Jake and Legacy Athletic are nothing alike, shape-wise.

Legacy Athletic

c8fb3da812d6e3d504fbb7f5ce3b777b.png

Belleza Jake

f2681a2c20767c00a244ea3337cf81f3.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

See, my issue with Kario is primarily the creator support that's out there.  For some reasons, most of the creators for pants for Kario are making a huge... erm... "below the belt" bulge, which is simply absurd for day-to-day wear.

1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

See, my issue with Kario is primarily the creator support that's out there.  For some reasons, most of the creators for pants for Kario are making a huge... erm... "below the belt" bulge, which is simply absurd for day-to-day wear.

I don't think that guys who want "day to day wear" is quite the intended target demographic for Kario.... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I don't think that guys who want "day to day wear" is quite the intended target demographic for Kario.... 

Which is sad because Kario is actually a great body. It has the ability to be scaled up and absolutely massive, or you can make it slimmer, or a very athletic looking buff guy, or whatever. And the fact that it's BoM only really lessens it's complexity. Plus the skins it come with were designed in a smart way, and are very high quality. 

17 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Fair, fair... lol

If so, though, it's obnoxious because it wasn't marketed that way.  It was marketed as "Hey, great new male body with two options in one!  Default BOM, get it while it's hot!"  So I did, and it IS a nice body (I prefer the "fit" version to the overly-muscled -- in my opinion -- "flex"), but I'm horribly put-off by the clothing being created for it.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
I still can't type.

Fair, fair... lol

If so, though, it's obnoxious because it wasn't marketed that way.  It was marketed as "Hey, great new male body with two options in one!  Default BOM, get it while it's hot!"  So I did, and it IS a nice body (I prefer the "fit" version to the overly-muscled -- in my opinion -- "flex"), but I'm horribly put-off by the clothing being created for it.

Is the Kario body starting to get significant third-party support in terms of clothing and skins?

• Haha 1

Fair, fair... lol

Yep, I feel pretty much exactly the same. Legal Insanity is great, but I want like, Hoorenbeek, Cold Ash, Deadwool, and Kalback, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion Pastorelli said:

Is the Kario body starting to get significant third-party support in terms of clothing and skins?

There's more clothing out; not sure on the skins because my male's in HDPro so I just kind of... glaze over when skins are mentioned.  I have heard there are some skins geared specifically for Kario, and some with an EvoX head that was released at the same time.

If you check out the Inithium Discord server, there's a special section for men there, along with a "New Releases" channel for men only.

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2022 at 9:11 AM, StarlanderGoods said:

Oh, and stay away from the Aesthetic, theres already way too many around. I never tested the body, but I would guess the sliders are not very responsive, because they all look the same to me.

morpheus.gif.f482224c951e7d47745779f153c126fc.gif

That's because people get it and jack them all the way up with some little compensation routine...

Aesthetic actually looks really nice if it is configured by someone who doesn't feel the need to look like a heavyweight MMA fighter working as a bouncer at a biker bar...

• Like 3

On 1/28/2022 at 12:54 PM, Orion Pastorelli said:

Alright, I tested the Kario beyond just looking at the body, I got some demos to try on it.

I went to MP, and I had to scroll down to like page 30 to get the first non-himbo clothes, if you are a male stripper, lucky you, if you want to just hang out, without your bits hanging out, you are going to have a harder time finding stuff.   But I did find some stuff, I found a nice suit, looks pretty fancy, lots of colour options, so I decide to try it on... but the demos are ONLY in-world, the item has zero reviews, so I went in-world, got the demo, unboxed it, tried it on, and it made me SO mad, that I inmediately alt-tabbed to the forums to complain about it.

This is not a Kario-only trend, but why are male clothes so badly rigged?  This thing isnt even fit, the "alpha cut" it brings, it literally hides the whole body, because it´s simply not rigged for the Kario.  Even the clothes that come WITH the kario need alpha cuts....  shorts and a tanktop, the easiest thing to rig, those things should fit like a glove and move perfectly without the need for alphas, but they dont.  I cant in good consience pay for what they ask for (clothes makers), when the product is of such bad quality.  And I feel double-mad, because the suit looks good, if I hide the whole body, hiding also the shape that I made for the avatar.

I havent seen it happen so often with female clothes, the rarely need alphas, and when they do it´s usually to hide some complicated things.

So finally, to answer your question, third party support is NOT GOOD, variety is poor, and quality is even worse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One thing to remember with alphas -- whether they're cuts or layers -- is that they're helpful with avoiding clipping when you're running different animations (AOs, sits, dances, etc) as no matter how well-rigged an item is, we in SL have always figured out a way to push that item until the mesh "breaks".

But yes, ideally, outfits should be rigged so that if we're just standing around with generally reasonable AO movements, there shouldn't be visible clipping.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
I had two sets of parentheses in one sentence and it bugged.
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

One thing to remember with alphas (whether they're cuts or layers) is that they're helpful with avoiding clipping when you're running different animations (AOs, sits, dances, etc) as no matter how well-rigged an item is, we in SL have always figured out a way to push that item until the mesh "breaks".

But yes, ideally, outfits should be rigged so that if we're just standing around with generally reasonable AO movements, there shouldn't be visible clipping.

Definitely. I had an AO for a while that had one stand where I stuck my hands behind my back and clasped them. That broke every shirt and dress I had! And dancing is a great way to find places I wish I'd alphaed before I left home. 😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BookishMelinoe said:

Definitely. I had an AO for a while that had one stand where I stuck my hands behind my back and clasped them. That broke every shirt and dress I had! And dancing is a great way to find places I wish I'd alphaed before I left home. 😂

Oh yes lol -- in fact, when I have a new outfit I usually will run dance animations on it before I take it public to determine if I need to alpha a few more areas, or just bite the bullet and make a custom alpha layer for it.

I'm a bit OCD about my alphas :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

Aesthetic pretty much out out of the box.. Is it the best in SL? I happen to think so. Should you go for it? Nah. Go for Gianni, Jake or even Slink.

AES out of the box_002.jpg

The only complaint i have of the Aesthetic body is the head.. I wore it for half an hour then went and got a catwa head... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/6/2022 at 4:33 AM, NanashiNyx said:

That's because people get it and jack them all the way up with some little compensation routine...

Aesthetic actually looks really nice if it is configured by someone who doesn't feel the need to look like a heavyweight MMA fighter working as a bouncer at a biker bar...

This. Granted, it's still always going to remind me of a shaved gorilla.... Can't help it, that's what I see (but then again, on a guy, I'll take a Jake body any day- or the non-jacked legacy male body.. So tired of the roid-raged alpha-male look.)

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.